U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM

371 posts, read 397,174 times

Advertisements

I started working on the racetrack (horses) when I was 16, and the latest job started at 6:00 AM. The earliest job I can recall had you start around 4:30 AM. This was seven days a week! Lots of trainers work horses in the dark before the clockers arrive. I have been an early riser ever since, usually 4:30 or 5:00. I have a dog too, he likes to be up and about early. The cat would drive me crazy wanting wet food in the middle of the night, so I have a timer dish for him that I set for around 3:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 AM

14,407 posts, read 7,929,570 times
I haven't lived by an alarm clock for over 30 years and I always stayed up until the wee hours of the morning and slept as late as I wanted. I'm still in that same pattern but now I sometimes find myself falling asleep during movies. I also fall asleep on the sofa for an hour or so before I go to bed. Sometimes I can't get back to sleep until the sun comes up. It's always been this way and I've been a night owl since I was a little girl.

This falling asleep during movies is a tad annoying though.

John is the same early riser he was when he was working. He's usually up by 530 am, sometimes earlier because of Monsoon our cat. He wants Daddy to get up and play with him. He's a good boy, he leaves Mommy alone

Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 AM

1,994 posts, read 2,638,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I often wake up before 7:00 and have this lazy habit of reaching for my laptop and while in bed reading the headline news articles in maybe seven or eight online news sources, check in on CD forum, write emails, and sip coffee. I feel totally decadent while I do this. I know one of my sisters is out the door by 9:00 am to go to an exercise class and I feel foolish still lounging around at that time. It feels like wasted time sometimes, and I keep vowing to get moving earlier and don't know why I don't. The frigid cold outside kind of invites this.
On my non-babysitting days (two days a week with my 15-month-old granddaughter), I do almost the same thing as you RiverBird, except I don't feel decadent or like I'm wasting time. I absolutely love those mornings when I can wake up early, feed the cat, and get back into bed to surf the 'net.

Unload the guilt, RiverBird! Enjoy!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:22 AM

8,980 posts, read 7,749,631 times
One of the benefits of retiring is being more in control of your own schedule. I usually go to bed about 11pm sleep in until 9ish then dawdle for a few hours before I get dressed and start the day. I rarely plan anything before 11am. My friends and family know not to call me before 10am. I do make an exception 2-3 days a week when I play golf but that is about the only exceptions I will make.

No golf today. I got up about 9:30am. Right now it is 11:20am and I will soon get dressed and go out for breakfast. My first meal of the day is breakfast no matter what time.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 AM

7,307 posts, read 15,356,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Clearly none of the posters here has a dog. Wake up time is daybreak, no matter the season.
Our dog will be 10 this year and is slowing down. The problem with her is not that she is an early riser but that she frequently wakes up around 2:30-3:30am and has to go outside NOW. Then she comes back in and goes back to sleep immediately, unlike her humans who frequently have trouble going back to sleep.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 AM

1,439 posts, read 724,280 times
Another night owl here - always was & always will be (surprised there are so many others here - I thought you old folks liked getting up early )......go to bed at 3am or later and usually not up before 11am. When I worked I always preferred the night shift and had no trouble staying up.....DREADED working days and had trouble staying awake! Weird thing was I could get more sleep prior to going in early than I did when on nights but I was still tired all day.....must be my natural clock.

Don't know about those who say they have to get up early for doctor's appts......I've always been able to just schedule an afternoon dr. or dentist appt.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,264,708 times
Retired for eight years, during the first year I was pretty stressed out over my wife's death, didn't get to sleep many nights and wondered if that was normal for the retired life, now, I get up when ever I first awake, be it five or seven. Like many my self indulgence is centered on the time after I wake up, drinking coffee, reading, sitting back and watching the light change outside, slowly getting into the day. I re-married and my wife likes to sleep a bit later than me, but neither of us wants to do much before ten.

It's those freezing cold mornings when I do love to hear the neighbors cars starting and knowing I can go back to sleep or rise and not be hurried, the serenity of surplus time is truly a healthy aspect of retirement, and I'd hope that most would want some peace in their life. It's nine thirty, guess I should get ready to get out and do some photography today, man, I love retirement....

Old 01-21-2016, 11:35 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,431,791 times
When I worked I would get up at 5 AM. Since retiring I get up usually between 5 and 6, and only because I have 4 indoor cats and 3 outdoor (feral/homeless?) cats that I feed that are waiting to eat. I don't set an alarm, just wake up at that time naturally.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:12 PM

21,878 posts, read 14,390,517 times
I decided early on that we would turn into slugs if we didn't have a wake up time. For us it is 7 am. I am often up earlier though, but on a good night I sleep through till the alarm starts playing music at 6:30.

If we are really tired, and sleep longer we don't worry about it.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:21 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,954,819 times
If my cat is snuggled up to me I don't get out of bed until after 11AM. I go to bed early, say 10ish, but read late into the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement