U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:15 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times

Advertisements

This morning it was brought home to me to what extent I have become spoiled in retirement. (Not a bad thing at all, but I did reflect on it).

My Wednesday volunteer schedule was changed on less than 24-hour notice because of the serious illness of someone else's child and I needed to leave the house by 7:30 a.m. at the latest. That seemed so damned early to me, which was the bizarre part of it. For several decades I normally left the house before 6:30 a.m., and sometimes much earlier; leaving at 7:30 would have seemed oddly late. But now, by contrast, I was scrambling to make that departure time. I was successful, as arriving late to anything, anywhere, anytime, is simply not an option for me.

But it was a weird feeling to rellect on how much has changed and to what extent I have spoiled myself with regard to sleeping in. Again, that is not a bad thing - it is just one of the realities of being retired.

I suspect that many of you would have told them to go fly a kite about the eariler arrival, which I could have done, especially since I am not being paid. However, I find my volunteer work so gratifying and enjoyable that I was happy to make that small sacrifice as part of reaping the larger reward.

Over the years in the Retirement Forum, there have been lots of comments about attitudes toward getting up in the morning. Now this topic has its own thread, so how about you? Are you among the extremists who have actually thrown away the alarm clock, or are you among the creatures of habit who continue to get up at the same time you always did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 09:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,788,261 times
I usually get up whenever I get up. And usually that's before 10 AM. Although sometimes it can be as early as 5AM.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
We don't have a clock anywhere on the 3rd level of our home, which is where our bedroom is. Occasionally DH lays his cellphone on the nightstand but for the most part we have no idea what time is. Like John, we arise at a wide range of times.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
8:00 am for me now. I know my body clock gets me up at 5:00 am and then I fall back to sleep. Surprisingly my brain is getting better, not as foggy, I hope eventually I have my brain back. Sleep is wonderful. My husband and I nap often.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:20 PM

5,686 posts, read 4,410,496 times
No clock but usually up about 7am. DH is up 5 days a week at 5am for his running group, everyone but he goes to work still so it's very early.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
I watch live jazz on live stream from Smalls Jazz Club smallslive.com in New York City's Greenwich Village until 3am or 4am every night, and sometimes stay up until 5am....

and I mean every night.

so I'm never up before noon or later.

Trying to get to a doctor appt is a problem. Plus my world is a bit upside down.

I often get up by 10am in spring and part of summer though.

I now find it impossible to get up early in the morning. yes, spoiled

I would not call it 'self-indulgence' at all as OP does though. That sounds like a derogatory and puritanical take on choosing when to sleep.

For me, it is just choosing what you wish to do in retirement and what fits your personality, interests, and body clock.

I've always been a night owl, as my body clock has always wanted to stay up late. I've always liked nights and do not particularly like mornings.

I've never been an early riser and forced myself to do so while working for 38 years.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-20-2016 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 10:27 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,270,643 times
I'm wondering about just the reverse, sort of….

For more than 25 years I have NOT had a 9-5 M-F schedule.
For the last 20 years it's been 4p-midnight (or over night 11p-7p.) (with days off during the week, working EVERY WEEKEND, and holidays)
Right now (still working) I'm not getting up until 2p! That's a little late for me I think I might have some insomnia going on, because I used to at least wake up by 11:30a

I'm wondering will I ever again be able to routinely get up early say before 8a…and ENJOY it?

A friend who was a teacher and used to getting up and being at school by 7:45a has been retired for two years and still gets up early to be at the gym by 8a. Will I ever be and early-to rise person?

Whenever I make appointments or set times for contractors to come do work -- and people say we can meet "early" I'm always asking: "Well, what do you mean by early? 8a. early ….or 10a early? Because I don't even THINK about getting up before Noon….and I like it like that. But in retirement will I just be wasting my day away?

Heck, even now, on days when I don't go out….I'm literally in PJs all day.

Last edited by selhars; 01-20-2016 at 11:25 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 PM

7,288 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Like other posters, the spouse has an internal alarm that gets him up around 6:30 or 7 every day, whether he likes it or not. Mine is a more flexible, I can get up when he does or sleep in until 8 or 8:30 on my own - provided the bedroom door is closed and the spouse has taken the dog out with him. Those times are often seasonally dependent, though - sunrise on the longest day is 5:30 and sunrise on the shortest day is almost 9:00. Harder to sleep late in the summer, even with window coverings, there is just some internal part that says "sun is up, get up!"

Once I am awake, I try to get up then, because going back to sleep, even for half an hour, leaves me groggy the rest of the day. The same for napping during the day, no matter how tired I am.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:50 PM

747 posts, read 567,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I watch live jazz on live stream from Smalls Jazz Club smallslive.com in New York City's Greenwich Village until 3am or 4am every night, and sometimes stay up until 5am....

and I mean every night.

so I'm never up before noon or later.

Trying to get to a doctor appt is a problem. Plus my world is a bit upside down.

I often get up by 10am in spring and part of summer though.

I now find it impossible to get up early in the morning. yes, spoiled

I would not call it 'self-indulgence' at all as OP does though. That sounds like a derogatory and puritanical take on choosing when to sleep.

For me, it is just choosing what you wish to do in retirement and what fits your personality, interests, and body clock.

I've always been a night owl, as my body clock has always wanted to stay up late. I've always liked nights and do not particularly like mornings.

I've never been an early riser and forced myself to do so while working 38 years.

I am the same! Thank you! My body clock has always been late. 3-4 am, sleep til noon. Live in Vegas, and I figure if working hours are 24/7, so can sleeping. I pounded it early for 33 years and now I am just fine. But when I need to be somewhere I need to forget that and be there! I like to watch TV at night or find a myriad of other things to do here..... and it is nice to get up for lunch.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:30 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
I am the same! Thank you! My body clock has always been late. 3-4 am, sleep til noon. Live in Vegas, and I figure if working hours are 24/7, so can sleeping. I pounded it early for 33 years and now I am just fine. But when I need to be somewhere I need to forget that and be there! I like to watch TV at night or find a myriad of other things to do here..... and it is nice to get up for lunch.
Ditto! It's 2:30 AM and I'm just thinking about going to bed. I sleep VERY late....I'm lucky if I'm up by 11. I can get up early for a doctor's appointment or meeting, as I did this morning, but then by early afternoon I'm tired and need a nap, which I absolutely hate because it does NOT leave me feeling refreshed.

Have always been a night owl, and come from a long line of Irish night owls....my Mom....her Mom, who came from Ireland....guess it's a family thing, or an Irish thing.

Really wish I could be an early-riser, but it's just not to be. I'm so glad to hear there are others like me, because everyone around here is appalled when they hear how late I sleep. Actually, I fudge it by a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement