U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2016, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,694 posts, read 3,265,052 times
Reputation: 12031

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You have to move the cars to a place that's not going to be plowed? Where is that?
We are supposed to park on one side of the lot; then at 8 a.m. move the cars to the other side.

I really appreciate everyone's input to my post. I am feeling a bit embarrassed at myself. I've read the term "entitled" and I sure don't want to be considered that. Not the person I want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2016, 10:49 AM
 
6,326 posts, read 4,768,647 times
Reputation: 12993
I think these sorts of issues have little to do with retirement or over 55 living. Apartment or condo management are never perfect. Building, appliances and systems are also often far from perfect. BTW, if you are not willing to move your car, how do you expect the facilities management to clean the snow from the parking lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,694 posts, read 3,265,052 times
Reputation: 12031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think these sorts of issues have little to do with retirement or over 55 living. Apartment or condo management are never perfect. Building, appliances and systems are also often far from perfect. BTW, if you are not willing to move your car, how do you expect the facilities management to clean the snow from the parking lot?


Oh gee, I guess I think the fairy gods are going to do it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Vermont
371 posts, read 398,181 times
Reputation: 755
I just moved into a senior housing complex in November, and previously lived in one in Massachusetts. The reason you have to move your car is so they can plow the spaces. If they didn't do this, eventually there would be no place to park, not to mention the danger of slipping and falling while getting in and out of your vehicle.

We use a phone tree here. When the plow guy is coming back to do parking spaces after a storm, we have to move our cars and wait for him to be done. I don't mind as it sure beats shoveling or snowblowing myself like I used to do when I owned a house. Even then, if you don't have a garage and have your driveway plowed, you still need to move your car so they can get the whole driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 11:32 AM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,180,231 times
Reputation: 8464
The best solution would be for the plow to only clear the road/driveway that goes between the parking spaces, but not the parking spaces themselves. Apartment managers are not exactly famous for their brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 AM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,180,231 times
Reputation: 8464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I just moved into a senior housing complex in November, and previously lived in one in Massachusetts. The reason you have to move your car is so they can plow the spaces. If they didn't do this, eventually there would be no place to park, not to mention the danger of slipping and falling while getting in and out of your vehicle.

We use a phone tree here. When the plow guy is coming back to do parking spaces after a storm, we have to move our cars and wait for him to be done. I don't mind as it sure beats shoveling or snowblowing myself like I used to do when I owned a house. Even then, if you don't have a garage and have your driveway plowed, you still need to move your car so they can get the whole driveway.
If the snow is bad enough that your parking space needs to be plowed, doesn't it imply it's going to be hard to move your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,694 posts, read 3,265,052 times
Reputation: 12031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I just moved into a senior housing complex in November, and previously lived in one in Massachusetts. The reason you have to move your car is so they can plow the spaces. If they didn't do this, eventually there would be no place to park, not to mention the danger of slipping and falling while getting in and out of your vehicle.

We use a phone tree here. When the plow guy is coming back to do parking spaces after a storm, we have to move our cars and wait for him to be done. I don't mind as it sure beats shoveling or snowblowing myself like I used to do when I owned a house. Even then, if you don't have a garage and have your driveway plowed, you still need to move your car so they can get the whole driveway.

I reside in a senior complex. Age ranges from 55 or 60 up to 86+. And there are some who are not physically well (but do drive). What do you propose those people do?? And do not assume everyone has a loving child that will dash right over to move Mom's or Dad's car.

As I mentioned before, parking lot has many open spaces, even when everyone is home. If someone needs to leave their car un-moved and gets snowed in, they are occupying the spot. They live here and they can have a car here. It is not infringing on another person's need to park their car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 AM
 
6,326 posts, read 4,768,647 times
Reputation: 12993
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I reside in a senior complex. Age ranges from 55 or 60 up to 86+. And there are some who are not physically well (but do drive). What do you propose those people do?? And do not assume everyone has a loving child that will dash right over to move Mom's or Dad's car.

As I mentioned before, parking lot has many open spaces, even when everyone is home. If someone needs to leave their car un-moved and gets snowed in, they are occupying the spot. They live here and they can have a car here. It is not infringing on another person's need to park their car.

The last couple of years NY metro area received snow after snow of over 1 ft. Cars are not going to clear themselves. It could be snowed in for weeks or months at a time. The building management is still not going to be able to clear the driveways if the lot is full of cars. Someone who does not need their car for weeks or months and leaves their car as an obstruction for others might need to reevaluate their ability to drive a car. That may sound tough but at a certain point we need to give up trying to do what is beyond our ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,694 posts, read 3,265,052 times
Reputation: 12031
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The last couple of years NY metro area received snow after snow of over 1 ft. Cars are not going to clear themselves. It could be snowed in for weeks or months at a time. The building management is still not going to be able to clear the driveways if the lot is full of cars. Someone who does not need their car for weeks or months and leaves their car as an obstruction for others might need to reevaluate their ability to drive a car. That may sound tough but at a certain point we need to give up trying to do what is beyond our ability.

You must be the plow driver. Such passion!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 PM
 
6,353 posts, read 5,088,595 times
Reputation: 12920
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
You must be the plow driver. Such passion!!
I was thinking that you had to move the cars that were parked on the street and that would make sense.

Then someone mentioned driveway - no one should be parked on the driveway - right?

But I guess it is a parking lot you are talking about.

I can see where it would be easier for the snow plow to maneuver around without cars here and there. Would also reduce the risk of damaging cars.

How often do they do this? How often does it snow - once twice a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top