U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 12:18 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,556,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I reside in a senior complex. Age ranges from 55 or 60 up to 86+. And there are some who are not physically well (but do drive). What do you propose those people do?? And do not assume everyone has a loving child that will dash right over to move Mom's or Dad's car.

As I mentioned before, parking lot has many open spaces, even when everyone is home. If someone needs to leave their car un-moved and gets snowed in, they are occupying the spot. They live here and they can have a car here. It is not infringing on another person's need to park their car.
Well it's either move your car so they can clear the snow or you clear the snow yourself.
Seems like a fair rule to me and you end up not having to shovel snow yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:22 PM

4,684 posts, read 3,254,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I was thinking that you had to move the cars that were parked on the street and that would make sense.

Then someone mentioned driveway - no one should be parked on the driveway - right?

But I guess it is a parking lot you are talking about.

I can see where it would be easier for the snow plow to maneuver around without cars here and there. Would also reduce the risk of damaging cars.

How often do they do this? How often does it snow - once twice a week?

Some of the questions that people ask are proof to me that nobody bothers to read the entire post. Why else the questions?

It is a parking lot.

There are many parking spots; there are fewer cars than parking spots.

Some of the people here are quite old. Some are not physically able to get out there when there is a snow fall.

This is central New York state. Not New York City. We are maybe 500 miles away from NY City.

How much snow do we get??? Sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. Sometimes every day. Sometimes no days. Kind of hard to give you a good answer for that.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:57 PM

371 posts, read 397,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If the snow is bad enough that your parking space needs to be plowed, doesn't it imply it's going to be hard to move your car?
Not necessarily. The plow does the driveway in front of our cars, and gets as close as he can to the cars without hitting them. Depending on the amount of snow, after you wipe all the snow off of your car, there is often quite a bit to shovel before you can get out of your space. It isn't easy, but I can see the need to keep the spaces cleared.

I do my neighbor's car (remove the snow, then shovel around it) so she can get out. She uses a walker and oxygen, so I know she would have some trouble doing this herself.

Snow removal is just part of living in New England, no matter how old we get, we have to deal with it if we choose to live here and own a vehicle.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I reside in a senior complex. Age ranges from 55 or 60 up to 86+. And there are some who are not physically well (but do drive). What do you propose those people do??
Sounds like a good opportunity for an enterprising younger person to make a few bucks. Or for the younger folks in your community (as I am in mine) help the older folks with this chore.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:09 PM

4,375 posts, read 3,710,800 times
The toilet problem might be the air vent. There should be a pipe that goes through the roof to let air into the sewer system. This could be plugged up.

Other than that flush the toilet before you use it. This might help if there is an obstruction in the pipe or it is too small.
I would think your downstairs tenant would have the same problem you have. Do they?

Old 01-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The toilet problem might be the air vent. There should be a pipe that goes through the roof to let air into the sewer system. This could be plugged up.

Other than that flush the toilet before you use it. This might help if there is an obstruction in the pipe or it is too small.
I would think your downstairs tenant would have the same problem you have. Do they?

According to my downstairs neighbor, she never has that problem with her toilet.

As far as suggesting to my maintenance man what it possibly could be, I can tell you from experience he does not want to hear it and if he does will tell me it is just not possible. Kind of hard to get anything done when you have to deal with that. But in his defense, he is an older (not old) man with some serious health problems, spent some time recently in hospital for a (I think) collapsed lung. Yet he is supposed to do all maintenance for two buildings. He has at times worked well past quitting time.

The owner (landlord) doesn't seem to think we might need two people doing this job.

Thank you for the tip regarding flushing before using and maybe will flush better 2nd time.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Sounds like a good opportunity for an enterprising younger person to make a few bucks. Or for the younger folks in your community (as I am in mine) help the older folks with this chore.
There is no abundance (or any) of enterprising youths around who would like to shovel for a few bucks. I think those days are over (at least in this area).

When I've cleaned off my car and need to clean the ground in front of my car, I use a dustpan. No shovel required. Then when you drive out of your spot, keep foot on the gas. Don't hesitate or you will get stuck.

I do not offer to clean another person's car off due to back problems and knee replacement. I also have a bad elbow. I'm trying to keep mobile myself.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
There is no abundance (or any) of enterprising youths around who would like to shovel for a few bucks. I think those days are over (at least in this area).

When I've cleaned off my car and need to clean the ground in front of my car, I use a dustpan. No shovel required. Then when you drive out of your spot, keep foot on the gas. Don't hesitate or you will get stuck.

I do not offer to clean another person's car off due to back problems and knee replacement. I also have a bad elbow. I'm trying to keep mobile myself.
That is how it was for me when I owned my house, no kids walking through the neighborhood looking for shoveling jobs. Guess they don't need the money anymore.

I use a windshield cover when it snows. I just take it off when I am ready to move the car so at least I don't have to deal with clearing that by scraping or wasting gas waiting for the defroster to melt the ice. I also back into my spot so I can move forward to get out. Last year in Boston, we had record snowfalls and clearing snow was definitely a chore. This year in Vermont, not bad at all. I wish I didn't need a car and could just rent one when I want. No Zipcar way out in the country where I live!

Old 01-23-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
That is how it was for me when I owned my house, no kids walking through the neighborhood looking for shoveling jobs. Guess they don't need the money anymore.

I use a windshield cover when it snows. I just take it off when I am ready to move the car so at least I don't have to deal with clearing that by scraping or wasting gas waiting for the defroster to melt the ice. I also back into my spot so I can move forward to get out. Last year in Boston, we had record snowfalls and clearing snow was definitely a chore. This year in Vermont, not bad at all. I wish I didn't need a car and could just rent one when I want. No Zipcar way out in the country where I live!

I have a nephew living in Fairfax, VT. Very out of the way, but many new lovely houses are being built in his area.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:24 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
I'm trying to picture what you're saying regarding there being a lot of empty spaces. It seems like it would still be difficult for the snow plow guy to go in and out and around the parked cars.

What do you think would work? Tell everyone to park on one side of the parking lot one day, then to the other side the next day? What do you see as the answer?

I used to be an apartment manager and I'm trying to figure out what I could do from a manager's standpoint. What would you want the manager to do, specifically, if you could have your way? That would be acceptable to other car owners, too?

And I see your point about disabled tenants not being able to move their cars. They could ask for a reasonable accommodation for their disability, for the management to bend the rule for them because of their disability, but what would they ask for that would work for them? To not have to move their car, no matter where it was parked? To have a designated area where tenants could just leave their cars for the entire winter?

For management to help, even for a reasonable accommodation, you need to present them with an alternative/answer that you want. Otherwise, it's just whining - if you understand where I'm coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement