U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 04:38 PM

698 posts, read 767,764 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others, keep calling about the toilet until they send a real plumber to come look at it. Who's liable if the toilet overflows and floods the downstairs apartment? That's what I'd be concerned about.

Ugh, they expect seniors to go out in the cold/snow at 8am to move their cars????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 04:59 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,173,524 times
You could call a plumber about the toilet, at your own expense. Sometimes trying to get an apartment manager to do what needs to be done can be like banging your head against a brick wall. Which is worse, an empty wallet or a bloody head? The plumber might be able to inspect the vent pipe on the roof, which might be exactly what's needed. Are there any smells in your building, which could come indirectly from drainpipes? That could be another indication that the vent pipes on the roof are not being properly inspected frequently enough.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:17 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,173,524 times
I would simply "forget" to move the car. Then, when they scolded me about it, I would pretend to be sorry. And after they left, and had their back turned to me, I would flip them off. And I wouldn't clean up the snow either. I would just let it melt and/or sublimate and/or blow away. I would much rather see snow in my parking lot than to see an obnoxious apartment manager who thinks senior citizens should get up at 8 AM to move their cars for no really good reason, and who won't do what it takes to get plumbing fixed.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:18 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,640,883 times
Go to Home Depot, buy an American Standard toilet with a Flush rating of 10.Pay the handyman to install it. About a 30 min. Job including opening the box. Problem solved. Send the bill to management.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:16 PM

19,852 posts, read 18,874,270 times
I remember when my late aunt lived in senior housing in Mass. Every time there was a snowstorm a truck would go around the parking lot with a loud speaker blaring to tell everyone to get up and get your car out or it will be towed!

This problem goes back a long way and there should be a solution other than making elderly people go out in the freezing cold early in the morning and shovel their cars out. I guess a covered parking lot would be too expensive. Many seniors can't afford to pay someone all winter long to dig their car out. Kids no longer go around looking for snow shoveling jobs.

When there's a heavy snowfall, the tv announcers are warning people to NOT go out and shovel snow. People have heart attacks from shoveling snow. Getting heavy, wet snow off your car and off the ground surrounding it is hard physical work and isn't safe for many elderly and disabled people. Yet nothing is done. I have no ideas either but it just seems rotten.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:32 PM

19,932 posts, read 14,245,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Go to Home Depot, buy an American Standard toilet with a Flush rating of 10.Pay the handyman to install it. About a 30 min. Job including opening the box. Problem solved. Send the bill to management.
Not permissible under HUD rules or necessarily under North Carolina landlord tenant laws. North Carolina uses rent abatement in lieu of rent escrow:

PART TWELVE: COURT ORDER FOR “RENT ABATEMENT” (reduction in rent).

Too often a landlord will not make repairs and will not consent to the withholding of part of the next rent payment. In this situation, a tenant may want to file a small claims suit against the landlord requesting the court’s permission to withhold part of the next month’s rent payment to cover the costs paid by the tenant for repairs or to compensate the tenant for the reduced rental value of the dwelling.

In seeking the court’s permission to withhold the amount of money paid by the tenant to
have repairs done, the tenant will need to show the following:
(1) that the tenant has either a written or oral lease agreement with the landlord;
(2) that the problem needing repair was the responsibility of the landlord under the Residential Rental Agreements Act, local building codes, and/or the lease agreement. (Remember, lease provisions excusing landlords from their repair and maintenance responsibilities under the Residential Rental Agreements Act are not enforceable.);
(3) if the problem involved broken heating, air conditioning, plumbing, or electrical appliances furnished with the rental unit, and if the situation was not an emergency, evidence that the landlord was given written notification of the need for such repairs and that the landlord then failed to make the needed repairs within a reasonable amount of time;
(4) copies of the bill given the tenant by the repair service, plus a receipt or canceled check showing that the bill was paid by the tenant;
(5) if the landlord denies that the problem even required repairs or claims that the cost of the repairs were too expensive, the tenant should make arrangements to bring the repairman to Small Claims Court.
(6) some sort of evidence (usually the tenant’s own testimony) showing how much the rental value of the house or apartment was reduced by the landlord’s failure to make required repairs.

[Tenants needing information on how to file a small claims lawsuit can obtain a Small Claims Court information package similar to this one from the Consumer Protection Section of the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office, Old Education Building, 114 West Edenton Street, 9001 Mail Service Center, Ra
leigh, NC 27699-9001 (telephone 919-716-6000).]

Should the Small Claims Court Judge or Magistrate be satisfied that the tenant’s case has been proved, he or she may enter a “rent abatement” order allowing the tenant to withhold part of the next month’s rent, or part of the next several month’s rent, to reimburse the tenant for the repair bills. A tenant should read the court order carefully to make sure it grants permission to withhold rent. Some Small Claims Court Judges will just award a money judgment against the landlord, which is not the same as permission to withhold future rent payments.

Where a problem has not been repaired by either the landlord or the tenant, the Court can enter an order allowing the tenant to withhold a percentage of future rent payments until the problem is repaired by the landlord. After hearing the evidence the Court will make a determination of how much the monthly rental value of the rental unit has been reduced by the problem needing repair. For example, if the monthly rent is $600.00 and the Court determines that the problem reduces the value of the rental unit by one-third, the judge or civil magistrate will enter a “rent abatement” order allowing the tenant to reduce monthly rental payments to $400.00 until the problem is corrected by the landlord.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:53 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,250,875 times
Just to add to the fun!

Two mornings ago I heard a loud noise in my living-room corner that first sounded like glass breaking and stuff falling. Scared the heck out of me and my cat got very curious. It is in the area where the cold air vent is. A few more times I could hear things "falling." Then after a while I heard a different sound. It sounded like something was in between the walls and was trying to get out. Very robust in the beginning, lessening as the day wore on. Stopped about 4 p.m. I told the maintenance man about it but he could not check it because he had to blow snow. Next day he had a doctor appt. so his day was going to be short and whatever noise I heard wasn't as important as other stuff he had to do. The next day he came into my apartment (I wasn't home), opened the door from the balcony where the furnace room is. Looked around and didn't see anything. I eventually got to tell him I was pretty sure it was in between outside and inside walls. I was told it was not possible. He said that a couple of times to be sure I heard him. So he wrote what he found "nothing" on the work order.
So when weather starts to warm up, I'm guessing it might start to smell pretty bad.
Really looking forward to that.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:39 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,699,926 times
Smile We could all be in her shoes someday - good to hear the other comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think these sorts of issues have little to do with retirement or over 55 living. Apartment or condo management are never perfect. Building, appliances and systems are also often far from perfect. BTW, if you are not willing to move your car, how do you expect the facilities management to clean the snow from the parking lot?
The OP is dealing with issues in senior housing which is relevant b/c there have been many good comments. It is good to learn from others.

Personally, I'm in South Florida and it is cold here today for Florida but to all of you dealing with snow, hat's off. I could never. A future snow state is off the list.

Anyone dealing with WS Jonas, you deserve a medal.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 8,115,335 times
Quote:
I am on the 2nd floor which is the top floor. Yes there are rules about what to flush and what not to. What I flush is all natural from me and the tissue (Scot's). I think part of the problem is not enough pressure. We are supposedly a "green" community and the toilets are adjusted to be green. I've never heard anyone else complain about it, tho.
There is a problem today with the modern toilet that uses less water than in the past.

I have found when it is a little larger than normal bowl movement, that it will plug the modern toilet. You say you can run a stick around the drain, and it will flush down. You are breaking up this clog, and letting things go down. Keep a toilet plunger handy, and when this happens, use it to solve he problem. After getting the clog broken up, use he toilet to wash the plunger. Let the tank fill, then hold he plunger down in the water and the flushing will clean the plunger.

This is a problem, no matter where you live, and how much water pressure you have in the lines. The pressure in the lines has nothing to do with how well the toilet flushes. The modern toilet be it an apartment or home has this same problem.

I was in the investment real estate business from 1972 till I finally retired. I not only supervised managers, but was also the president for 3 years of a very large owner and managers rental association with owners and managers belonging. This is the solution a top plumber gave to our members and numerous ones later said how this helped them solve problems.

You called about the noise in the wall, after it had ceased. There was no way anyone could know if there even was a problem when there was no more noise to tell them what it was or if it even existed.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,993,970 times
I'm not trying to sound rude but if they are that disabled they can't move their car, then why have a car? Why not look for a car service? My husband is disabled and there is a car service with the city that charges him $4/ride. They come right to him and drop him off exactly where he wants to go, within the city of course. I'd assume if you are in a larger city you might be able to find a service like this and avoid this issue altogether.

BTW about the noise, turn off everything and videotape the area where the sound is coming from (while you are hearing it) if you have a camera or use your phone if you have one. I did this when we heard noises in our walls and the landlord insisted it was nothing. Turns out it was a squirrel and there was a HUGE hole in the garage area that the squirrel was climbing up at night. They got the squirrel out and patched up the hole. Look around for a whole an animal may be able to crawl into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement