U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:51 AM

536 posts, read 633,432 times

Advertisements

Just a note on toilets--I don't have the snow issues down here in S Florida, but due to settlement issues in my house, I had a bathroom in which sewage occasionally rose up through the tub. Very nasty!

I replaced the old toilet (being bright blue it was probably quite old) with an American Standard, which works so much better, and my water bill went down. Then I decided to replace the toilets (one of them pink, one yellow) in the other 2 bathrooms, and a plumber I was talking to said that Toto toilets were better than American Standards. And I think they are--no issues ever with either of those and though minor, there is one issue with the American Standard--its lever sticks rather easily, causing water to run.

NYGal, maybe the critter was able to get away in the vent--I hope so.

I think I might notify the management that I was going to get a plumber to fix the toilet. Going to some regulator of 55+ housing complexes might lead to the sick super getting fired, but they really should do something about plumbing that doesn't work, just to protect heath standards in the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
But you can't replace a toilet in a RENTAL APARTMENT. And especially not an apartment that is government subsidized. I think you missed that part.

Besides, a plunger is much cheaper. A stick is free. They both work.
So you are saying if Home Depot delivered a sparkling new toilet to my rent subsidized apartment and I slipped it inside and unpacked it,
then proceeded to remove the two nuts and one hose fitting, replaced the old with the new and got happy, they would come and get me?
Your stick or plunger MAY work, if the toilet is plugged with a dead cat, but if it is the typical cheap ,poorly designed fixture you will find in a government subsidized anything, then, no it won't help.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:08 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
So you are saying if Home Depot delivered a sparkling new toilet to my rent subsidized apartment and I slipped it inside and unpacked it,
then proceeded to remove the two nuts and one hose fitting, replaced the old with the new and got happy, they would come and get me?
Your stick or plunger MAY work, if the toilet is plugged with a dead cat, but if it is the typical cheap ,poorly designed fixture you will find in a government subsidized anything, then, no it won't help.

Couldn't come up with a better term, huh?

This complex is supposedly a "green" community. That was impressed upon all of us when we applied for an apartment. All about being conservative with water, etc.

The first shower I took, I thought there was something wrong with that...... I was used to a forceful flow of water in the shower. It was explained to me that it was all about water conservation.

Supposedly this is a "new way". However, keep in mind the owners of this place are quite shy about spending money...... I do not expect much more investment for any one complaint.

Last year during some extremely cold weather, a few residents on the first floor experienced flooding from back wash from the tub (maybe sinks, too). The solution? Powerful blow dryers were put in the worst affected. Rugs and floor tiles were never replaced. One of the residents is in a wheelchair. And had to stay overnight in her apartment with the wet floors and blowing fans. They did not offer to put her up in a motel. I do believe the pipes that ran outdoors were checked and some people had apparently flushed things that should not have been flushed.

Plumbers are out of my price range.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

This complex is supposedly a "green" community. That was impressed upon all of us when we applied for an apartment. All about being conservative with water, etc.

The first shower I took, I thought there was something wrong with that...... I was used to a forceful flow of water in the shower. It was explained to me that it was all about water conservation.

Supposedly this is a "new way". However, keep in mind the owners of this place are quite shy about spending money...... I do not expect much more investment for any one complaint.

Last year during some extremely cold weather, a few residents on the first floor experienced flooding from back wash from the tub (maybe sinks, too). The solution? Powerful blow dryers were put in the worst affected. Rugs and floor tiles were never replaced. One of the residents is in a wheelchair. And had to stay overnight in her apartment with the wet floors and blowing fans. They did not offer to put her up in a motel. I do believe the pipes that ran outdoors were checked and some people had apparently flushed things that should not have been flushed.

Plumbers are out of my price range.
Probably dead cats.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:55 AM

6,420 posts, read 3,600,113 times
My DIL's Dad lives in a 55+ Townhouse Rental. He is a young Senior at 58. His only complaint is that all of his older neighbors knock on his door asking for his help fixing this, carrying that, etc. While he doesn't mind helping once in a while, he's still working full time and says he wants to just relax on his days off or coming home from work at night.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,551,122 times
Quote:

You can get shower heads that are specifically designed for providing a more powerful feeling flow while still conserving water. Oxygenics is one brand (we have that one in our trailer shower and it works a treat!). There are also other brands. You might check reviews on Amazon to find one that'd work for you.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:45 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,362,793 times
Quote:

Actually the things that shouldn't be flushed are the so-called flushable wipes. They get tangled up in the sewer pipes and equipment. It's a problem all over the country. My development had some major repair bills because of this.

Your neighbor who had the sewer backwash should probably call the health department. Might be able to get some help fighting this from Dept on Aging in your area.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,709,402 times
OP, the toilet problems you are having are the same I have had in my last apartment and my present one. I believe the problem is that they are low flush toilets and just can't handle the "load" of large buildings or even small ones. My last apartment complex was only 11 units. So I always keep a plunger handy because I got tired of calling the landlord or custodian.

I have read that this is becoming more and more common in apartment buildings old and new.

I don't know about the parking lot problem though since I don't have a car. Apartment living can be frustrating at times because one doesn't have control over so many things. I have lived in apartment buildings all my life and the stories I could tell.

If you really think there is a serious problem that can turn into a health issue, you can report the problem to the city building inspector to determine if there is a violation of any building codes. I did that one time because there really were some very bad problems with a place I was renting. But they have to be severe enough that you are certain you have a case.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM

19,984 posts, read 14,277,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
OP, the toilet problems you are having are the same I have had in my last apartment and my present one. I believe the problem is that they are low flush toilets and just can't handle the "load" of large buildings or even small ones. My last apartment complex was only 11 units. So I always keep a plunger handy because I got tired of calling the landlord or custodian.
You live in Ohio, so rent escrow is available to you. All you do is go to the county municipal court and fill out a simple one page form and hand it to the clerk along with the rent money. The court will take care of everything else. You pay your rent to the court, instead of the landlord, so your landlord is motivated to permanently fix your problem.

When repairs are made to your satisfaction, the rent money will be released from escrow to the landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't know about the parking lot problem though since I don't have a car. Apartment living can be frustrating at times because one doesn't have control over so many things. I have lived in apartment buildings all my life and the stories I could tell.

If you really think there is a serious problem that can turn into a health issue, you can report the problem to the city building inspector to determine if there is a violation of any building codes. I did that one time because there really were some very bad problems with a place I was renting. But they have to be severe enough that you are certain you have a case.
Snow removal falls under HUD debris removal guidelines. Only walk-ways and steps have to be clear of snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement