U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 PM

4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times

Advertisements

I moved into a senior citizen income-based apartment complex. It's a nice place to live and I am sure I could do much worse.

However, there are some things I wonder about. I welcome your ideas and comments.

The first thing I'll mention is that I've been here for 4+ years. Ever since I moved in, I have had a problem with the toilet flushing or not flushing. I have put in a few work orders for someone to come take a look and hopefully fix it. One person ran a snake down it, no evidence of a problem. Another person poured a liquid solution that was supposed to clear the pipes, etc. Neither of these fixes worked. So I am stuck with the problem. I thought it could be a board of health problem, but have not pursued it.

So, what to do about that. Should I just "man up" and continue using a stick to get things to flush properly?

More recently:

1 - I live in a senior apartment complex. Ages range from 55-80+. Some in better shape than others; variety of health problems. We have been told that when it snows, we need to get out and move our cars at 8 a.m. for the guy who drives the plow. If we don't do it, they will write down our name and have a private chat with us. Well, some of us might not plan to go anywhere for a few days and wonder why do we need to move the car if they are not going anywhere? There are more parking places than cars in the parking lot.

2 - One morning there was a terrific racket happen near the cold air outlet in my apt. Sounded like stuff falling; first time sounded like glass. It was pretty noisy for first few times. Eventually it sounded like something was in there struggling to get out. My cat went nuts. It kept up sporadically till 4 p.m. Then no noise. But the cat was very curious for the rest of the day. I called maintenance. He couldn't take a look that day as he had snow blowing to do. Next two days he came, I wasn't home. He went out on the balcony and looked in the furnace room but he saw nothing. I tried to tell him it was in between the inside wall and outside wall. He strongly disagreed. He wrote on the work order that he inspected but found nothing. Well if it was a bird or small animal, should smell real good in there after awhile.
Ideas? Comments? BTW, the maintenance man has a few health problems and not doing too good right now. But still working when he can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 07:24 PM

19,871 posts, read 14,217,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Ideas?
Try looking into rent escrow.

Typically you can find information on-line at your county courthouse.

You place your monthly rent into an escrow account established by the county until repairs are effected.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:25 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Heck no! There is something clogging your line. Are you upstairs?

Do they have rules about what should not be flushed. He might have to check your neighbors lines.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Heck no! There is something clogging your line. Are you upstairs?

Do they have rules about what should not be flushed. He might have to check your neighbors lines.
I am on the 2nd floor which is the top floor. Yes there are rules about what to flush and what not to. What I flush is all natural from me and the tissue (Scot's). I think part of the problem is not enough pressure. We are supposedly a "green" community and the toilets are adjusted to be green. I've never heard anyone else complain about it, tho.

I asked my downstairs neighbor if she had problems and she said no. But there have been some problems here that are unbelievable. The building is built on what I believe is swamp.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:22 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,338,732 times
I think all toilets made in the past 20 or so years don't flush with enough water or enough force. I keep a plunger handy. Sometimes the paper goes down and the natural stuff is left in the bottom of the toilet. I don't know how 2 flushes is supposed to save water.

The other thing is toilet paper has been getting thicker and thicker -- supposed to be more cushy? So you really have to use less.

If the building and toilet are old, someone may have put a brick in the tank years ago to save water.

Regarding stuff falling -- could it have been ice/snow from the roof? Or ice falling down a downspout from the gutters?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:48 PM

The building was built a little under 5 years ago, so still "new" construction.

I use Scot's tissue, that is very thin and no cushion to it. Recommended for those with septic tanks. We are on sewer.

I doubt the falling stuff/noise came from the gutter. The position of the wall I'm speaking of is beneath the balcony ceiling by the door that enters the living room.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 01-22-2016 at 09:20 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 09:04 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,721,438 times
NY

Not all places have income based living arrangements. Does not sound like your issues are major so I say, enjoy it while you have it.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:28 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Well, you could try being the squeaky wheel and just call the office every time the toilet doesn't work right. Even if you're super nice every time, the person who answers the phone will pressure the maintenance guys to fix it.

Another option would be to try buying new in-tank mechanisms. They look pretty simple, so if you're handy at all, you could try it and see if it makes a difference.

I don't know what to tell you about the snow and car moving issue. I blessedly don't have to deal with snow anymore LOL. I don't know what's normal policy there.

And as far as the wall noise, well, the maintenance guy has a long list and I don't know what he could have done for you. If it starts stinking, then you'll have proof something died in there and then they will have to deal with it. Otherwise, you're really asking him to find a phantom at this point.

Not all affordable housing is badly maintained. I've been in two so far, and one was amazing - everything fixed right the first time and quickly. And then there's where I live now.....another thing entirely. Fortunately, there's nothing wrong within my apartment, but others here are suffering with issues in their apartments. My issues are with maintenance problems in the flooding stairwells and doors that don't work, etc. At least, once I make it to my apartment, everything in here works fine.

But, you could start looking around to see if there's anywhere else you'd rather live. And now that you know what you don't want to deal with, you might find a place that will suit you better.

I know my next place will not be a converted old hotel. I can't stand dealing with the double door system - one system to get into the building, then another door to your room. Even the place that was well-maintained had issues with the door systems. It's the trend to put in electronic door systems, and it doesn't seem to matter which type they install, they will end up malfunctioning and locking you out of the building. grrrr. My next place will have a door of it's own - only. No more converted hotels for me.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 AM

6,599 posts, read 3,736,021 times
1. It could be the toilet itself. If there's not enough water pressure or gravity force, it won't fully fllush. What manufacturer is your toilet? Not all low flow toilets work well, although most do, now.

I have two low-flow toilets, and they work great. I did research before buying to make sure I got one that worked well.

If it's the toilet, I think you'd be able to tell by the sluggish sound of the flush. It may not be loud like the old toilets were, but you should hear a fast, complete flush (and it flushes everything).

2. Water level set too low. If there's not enough water, it won't flush properly. More water = more pressure to flush things down. Look in the tank and make sure the water level is where it should be.

3. Did you complex send a plumber to examine the toilet or a handyman? Hope it was a plumber, 'cause that's what is needed, IMO.

You said
Quote:
One morning there was a terrific racket happen near the cold air outlet in my apt. Sounded like stuff falling;
What's a "cold air outlet"? You mean the a/c vent? Or do you mean the pipe that sticks out above your roof on the outside? If you mean the pipe, the reason I ask is that, for your plumbing to work right, that vent pipe has to be there, and be free and clear of debris. There's a pipe that sticks up thru the roof of all buildings. It's connected inside the walls of hte building to the plumbing pipe system. That vent pipe lets air get to the system. If air doesn't get to the system, the toilet won't flush completely (it's like in a vacuum).

It's possible there's a clog, but since he snaked it, I wouldn't think so. Unless he didn't snake it far enough. I had a kitchen drain clog once that I snaked and couldn't fix. I hired a "Drain Doctor." He came in with an electric really long snake thing and zapped that clog away. It was far down the pipe, and around a sharp turn in the pipe.

I DEFINITELY would hound them until they send a plumber to fix the toilet! That's gross and possibly a health violation. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:40 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,167,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
We have been told that when it snows, we need to get out and move our cars at 8 a.m. for the guy who drives the plow
You have to move the cars to a place that's not going to be plowed? Where is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement