U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 11:24 PM

19,856 posts, read 18,874,270 times

Advertisements

I've stopped caring. When I turned 70 I cared again--just for that one time--and I put on my best bathing suit, a pretty sun hat and had dh take pictures of me jumping in the ocean waves. I don't know why.

At age 71, we were in England for my birthday. It seems that the English make a big deal out of adult birthdays because it was dh's idea that we be there for my birthday. It was great being distracted by all the beauty of England but THEN dh's son discovered that it was my birthday.

dh's son wanted a PARTY! I had to tell him that I had stopped having birthdays. He slipped dh a restaurant gift card so we could eat out for my birthday. Oh well.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:28 PM

446 posts, read 282,616 times
I'm happy with a "happy birthday" from a few close relatives, and if they were to forget, no big deal. If I really cared on a given year, I would call them and say, it's my birthday, darn it, now sing!

I've known many adults who enjoy celebrating their own birthdays. As long as they take the responsibility of saying, "hey it's my birthday Fri and I'd like to go out for dinner, could you guys join me," sure, why not give people you like and care about whatever makes them happy. One year, I was in a lonely mood and did just that on my own birthday. (And since it was my invite, yes, I treated.) Other years, it hasn't been important.

There are so many ways people can show they care about you. A birthday is one vehicle to show affection. But not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:00 AM

39,552 posts, read 47,768,430 times
The only birthday I plan to celebrate is my 100th. I don't like birthday celebrations, parties, cakes, cheesy presents and lil' ol' ladies kissing me wearing 1930's stinky toilet water.
At 100 I'll probably have outlived everyone, can celebrate by myself and say "I told ya so!"

Old 01-23-2016, 05:51 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
It's a nice reason for going out to dinner.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 AM

10,361 posts, read 9,388,551 times
The last b/day I cherished was my 66th (full benefit age for s/s).

Otherwise, for me, now it's just another day on the calendar.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarby View Post
Birthdays have not meant anything to me for decades either. I know people who have birthday months and celebrate the whole month. I agree with you both. Birthdays are for kids.
I disagree. It's up to the individual person. As rather neglected, impoverished, and isolated children, my sis and I had few if any birthday parties when we were children and my 39th birthday is coming up next week. For the first time in many years, I am having a party at a restaurant with some new friends I met last year through my wife. I'm really happy about it. I only have my sister as family, and it thrills me that other people care and want to go to a celebration I'm hosting. As for presents, that doesn't matter at all. I just want to spend time with people I love. My new adult friends have birthday parties for all the people in the group, which are simple affairs that involve going out for dinner, drinks, and cake at a restaurant and chatting for a few hours. It's not about the number, but the company and friendship.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:42 AM

674 posts, read 840,365 times
I am quite the opposite. I love my birthday. I love having a day that is mine and special. I love having my family and friends call or send cards. I believe this life is a gift and one to be enjoyed whenever possible. I take my life seriously. I keep myself fit. I excercise, try to eat well (as long as eating well includes my chocolate) I have saved and not lived beyond my means, I did a good job raising my children and am a good wife (to a great man. Certainly makes it easy to be a good wife). I see no reason why I can't enjoy a special day. I don't think it's immature. I am very mature. I don't particularly like parties for myself though. I am fun to be around. I am not a "glass half empty" but rather "glass half full". And I love my birthday.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I've got one coming up next week (maybe my last one with a zero), and I honestly wish everyone would just chill and ignore it. I mean, I can always eat cake. But getting presents, doing the party thing, etc., just doesn't hold much excitement for me at this stage of life.

How do others feel about this? Still look forward to blowing out that bonfire of candles?
No, not really. Maybe just take me out to eat.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:13 AM

12,537 posts, read 4,238,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
do I care about my birthday? absolutely not, and I have not cared for decades, and really never cared much about it.

I think it's silly for adults to make a big deal about their birthday.

And I always thought it was completely asinine to celebrate birthdays on the job in the workplace. It was always forced upon us in my various workplaces.

When I see adults making a big deal about their own birthday, I think they have not matured and are childish, especially people in their late 20's, 30's, 40's who still want a celebration. just my opinion.

And when you get older, it just marks one more year closer to your own death and one less year of life which I do not appreciate commemorating. It's great to be alive.
Bingo.
If you really think about it......birthdays mean nothing.
Unless your life is going to change significantly. Which does not happen with the turn of another year on this planet.

Same thing with New Year's Eve.

Just live your life people and don't worry about the nonsense.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:39 AM

5,959 posts, read 5,309,871 times
Not a fan of birthdays. Going out to eat? I do that about every other day. Seeing friends? I see them almost every day. Cake? If I want cake I will bake one or buy one. I don't need a special day to eat cake. Parties? Again, I go to lots of parties. One more isn't necessary. Gifts? I want to get rid of stuff not add to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or