U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:05 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,259,742 times

Advertisements

No. I've never celebrated my birthday. I never tell anyone when it is unless I have to for insurance purposes or something like that. Usually if someone who doesn't need to know asks I just make up a date. I get really angry when the insurance companies send me birthday cards. I don't like them using my birthday as an excuse to advertise to me. I also don't like getting presents. I am very difficult to buy for because if I want something I buy it for myself and I don't need an excuse to purchase it. But, basically, I am a minimalist and I don't really want much of anything. If I get a gift I usually just hand it off to someone I think would enjoy it or I donate it to Goodwill. It's very rare that I am given something I want to keep.

My husband, on the other hand, loves having his birthday celebrated with a low-glycemic cake, lots of presents, cards, singing happy birthday all day long, and making a huge fuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:00 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,909,684 times
I haven't cared about my birthday since I was around 25 or so. 30 was slightly different, but not much.

However, I'm 38 now, and I do want to do something cool for my 40th. I'll be turning 40 first in my group of close friends, and I'd love to plan something where we all meet up somewhere and have fun. We're scattered all across the US now, so we don't get to see each other often.

Would love to meet up at some resort in the Caribbean, relax, gamble, hang out, etc. I'll need to start planning it soon if it'll happen.

After that, I doubt I'll care about any more birthdays except my daughter's.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 847,557 times
For me, the thrill was gone after 31, maybe 32....I'll be 41 in a few weeks and don't even want anyone to acknowledge it.....sending cash is fine, but that's all.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:43 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,064,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Absolutely. It is better to celebrate your birthday ... than to stop having them.
^^^this!!

I like to celebrate my birthday. A few birthday dinners or lunches with different friends and relatives. My kids always come over to celebrate. It's nice! It's about sharing a special meal and time with people.

I will likely stop celebrating them when I no longer have them....

Old 01-23-2016, 12:48 PM

116 posts, read 79,210 times
Default I don't care to be reminded

I guess I never have, with the exception of childhood (never a big deal in our house anyway). Once adult, the birthday thing went by the wayside. Most of my friends don't even know when mine is. It doesn't come up on facebook, etc. I don't need all those canned "happy birthday!" replies. It's just another day. Every day is a holiday, and every meal a feast - at least it can be. I don't feel as if I need a specific calendar date to give a person a gift, or take them to lunch. It's spontaneous, and to me a lot more fun

Old 01-23-2016, 12:51 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,951,044 times
Nope, not at all.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:12 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,370,341 times
No .
But OMG those of you not into Dutch culture or aren't Dutch or married to a Dutch person would not believe how big of a thing it is . I think this is something you can even google.

When my BIL turned 40 they had 3 separate parties on different days of the week .

Now for any here who may be Dutch /into Dutch culture ...after my precious mom in law died NO ONE gives my FIL any party at all back in Holland ( The Netherlands ). I don't even think he has any visitors anymore on that day. If you look up the phrase "passive - aggressive" in any book in the world you will see his picture .

She told him it would be this way and why right before she died
Only Dutch woman I ever could get close to at all. I adored her .

Old 01-23-2016, 01:17 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,883,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I've got one coming up next week (maybe my last one with a zero), and I honestly wish everyone would just chill and ignore it. I mean, I can always eat cake. But getting presents, doing the party thing, etc., just doesn't hold much excitement for me at this stage of life.

How do others feel about this? Still look forward to blowing out that bonfire of candles?
I would love to have someone fuss over my birthday but since my birthday is a week before Christmas and I am the youngest child of all my siblings, I had one birthday party in my life that people brought presents to so I am due a few presents to even out all those I gave to others. I know it doesn't work that way but even my sister used to write "Happy Birthday" on our Christmas card. Yes, I feel birthday neglected.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:01 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,033,459 times
My wife and I take the other out to dinner on their birthday. Other than that it is just another day.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:46 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,301 times
I don't celebrate

But when I remember it's near
Then I think 'I'm that old'?
It shocks me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or