U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:05 PM

2,082 posts, read 4,742,522 times

Advertisements

One day closer to death, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:18 PM

536 posts, read 634,858 times
Birthdays weren't stressed in my very large family and now I am glad it is not a big day anymore, as I anoint myself with my coming age about 6 mos before it happens and it's old news by my actual birthday.

I have friends who still declare it an important celebration, and that has to do with how they were raised, no doubt.

I don't criticize but don't really share that thought. Twelve to thirteen? momentous. High school age to college age? amazing transition!
One piece of my 60s decade to another? Not so much. I'm not seeing the milestone per se--though I am so grateful that everything's in working order so far.

Though I don't celebrate on my birthday in the sense of expecting or demanding gifts, I do offer up silent thanks for every year that has passed.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:21 PM

28 posts, read 13,015 times
You only have one birthday. The rest are birth anniversaries. Way too much attention place on this Hallmark event.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:32 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,546,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Not a fan of birthdays. Going out to eat? I do that about every other day. Seeing friends? I see them almost every day. Cake? If I want cake I will bake one or buy one. I don't need a special day to eat cake. Parties? Again, I go to lots of parties. One more isn't necessary. Gifts? I want to get rid of stuff not add to it.
I can't believe all the Scrooges on this thread. Think about what a birthday signifies. It signifies us getting older, which means we aren't someone's worm food yet. That alone is a reason to celebrate. Another nice thing about birthdays is it's a day just for that particular celebrant. Let's say you have a hypothetical sister named Kathy, whose birthday is March 12th. It's a special day to fuss over Kathy, because no one else she knows has a birthday on March 12th. If Kathy has kids, she likely spends much of her life caring for them, and if she's married, spends a lot of her time fulfilling her role as wife. And if she is an employee, she's also busy doing whatever the boss says. When does Kathy celebrate just being Kathy, the wonderful lady she is? A birthday is a great reason to do just that, and Christmas, Thanksgiving, and the various other holidays aren't unique to the individual as a birthday is, thus these days don't function the same way. BTW, for those who argue that birthdays celebrate us being one day closer to death, each succeeding day brings us one day closer to death. That's not unique to the day of one's birthday, so we should still party

Old 01-23-2016, 04:58 PM

450 posts, read 285,107 times
When I was in my late twenties, I had a friend who threw himself a third of a century birthday party. That seemed like an interesting idea. A few years later, I called my brother in the middle of our workdays, and wished him a happy third of a century. He thought about this for a few minutes. Then he said, "they don't give you enough to do at your job, do they?" That friend is now gone from this earth, but in his honor, seven years from now, circumstances permitting, you are all invited to my two thirds of a century birthday party.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:24 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,198,252 times
I love celebrating my birthday, and hope to continue for many years. My family members and friends call or send cards, local friends and I get together and laugh and talk. It's celebrating being alive.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:59 PM

339 posts, read 322,580 times
I do not enjoy my birthday at all. I am widowed. While I have 3 children, they hardly celebrate with me. Last year I was fortunate and had 2 friends celebrate with me after I shamelessly posted on Facebook that I would be alone.

Overall, birthdays just remind me that I am one step closer to the end.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:47 PM

407 posts, read 477,083 times
I'm excited about the one coming up in July. I'll be 62 and plan on filing for my SS. My family is not long-lived and I hate my job just enough that I'm willing to take it early. I may continue to work a bit, but it'll be nice to know I can quit and we'll still be able to eat.

DH and I take each other out on our birthdays to the one fantastic (and expensive) steakhouse here in Ocala. He always wants one of those nasty cakes with the gooey white icing, but I'm content with a cupcake. It's only the two of us, so we can pretty much do whatever we want.

His 70th birthday is next Friday and last night I took him out to a Gary Lewis & the Playboys concert since this is kind of a special birthday.

So, yes, we do care about birthdays. Childish, maybe, but we both grew up very poor and it's nice to be able to go out and celebrate making it through another year.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:56 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,894,073 times
Sure! Love my birthday--and my friends' birthdays, too. It's great to have a personal celebration that's all your own. Why not? Each of us are very special.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,475,777 times
Scooby Snacks,

just because some people do not wish to go along with every culturally imposed custom or norm or idiocy, it does not mean they are 'Scrooges' as you deem them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or