U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:08 PM

6,878 posts, read 7,276,074 times

Advertisements

I never have cared about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:05 AM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
DH & I are way over birthdays being something adults should celebrate. At my request, he entirely ignores my birthday. He's more or less neutral about his own so I usually gift him a bottle of good wine. Both of us take advantage of restaurants who offer reward card birthday discounts, though.

Occasionally we're invited to celebrations of friends and families birthdays but we ignore them. I'm on Facebook and I don't post my own birthday nor do I acknowledge those who post their own. Live and let live.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:16 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,153,939 times
We don't make a big deal out of birthdays of adults but do mark the special occasions by sending cards (in the good old days) or congratulatory emails and calling our relatives. We always send birthday gifts to the children and used to hold birthday parties for my daughter. Remembering and celebrating birthdays are just a way to show our love and appreciation to each other.

For my husband and I, we use the special days as a big excuse. We say to each other every year: "Today is my birthday so I can do whatever I want", "You have to 'serve' me today because it's my birthday". We get away of being silly and demanding once a year because we have the same birthday ;-)

Old 01-24-2016, 08:49 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
Yes I do , because my mother and dad never made a big deal of it . I think my mother was disappointed because I was not a boy . She always told me that I never forgot it and she never let me forget it either . I do make a bid deal and I usually float my bday cause I'm broke always on holidays and birthdays . I never forget my kids bdays and always send them a card even if I cant afford a present I send em a card .

Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 AM

12,689 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
do I care about my birthday? absolutely not, and I have not cared for decades, and really never cared much about it.... It's great to be alive.
That's pretty much it for me too.

Up until about age ten my mother would bake a cake and sometimes there was a little party, but in my teens it already seemed like something that should be put away. Never understood how sensitive my mother was about her birthday.

Once I got into university I was not home for that day, and from that point on it was a dead letter, except for a couple of cards.

I can have a great time, one that I reflect on for days, just running into someone at a cafe or accidentally in a restaurant and having a great time being together. It's the spontaneous joys that have the quality of celebration.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM

14,385 posts, read 7,918,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Do I? Sure! I'll be 65 in September, I want a party, a cake, balloons and a pony.

I like you

Old 01-24-2016, 09:39 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,132,331 times
My wife and I wll go out to dinner. Our birthdays are two days apart, so we do it on the inbetween day.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:42 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Still look forward to blowing out that bonfire of candles?
Why, yes I do! But only the next three. Later this year I'll turn 70 which means leaving one decade behind and beginning another. Blowing out candles means that on that day I likely awoke with pulse and respiration. Always good things in my book.

Age 71 is the average age of death for men in my family. Surviving it will be cause for celebration which will bring me to age 72. Achieving that will mean I beat the odds. Thereafter, age and the advancement thereof will cease to be important to me but for not having reached my expiration date and assumed room temperature.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-24-2016 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-24-2016, 12:57 PM

19,904 posts, read 14,228,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I've got one coming up next week (maybe my last one with a zero), and I honestly wish everyone would just chill and ignore it. I mean, I can always eat cake. But getting presents, doing the party thing, etc., just doesn't hold much excitement for me at this stage of life.

How do others feel about this?
You're born alone, celebrate it. Celebrate aloneness. That's what birthdays are for.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:08 PM

890 posts, read 676,946 times
Yes I do care about my birthday but it's more a private thing to be grateful. I started something last year upon entering a new decade of life and that is to get blood work done on my birthday of markers that are important to me. Will get another one next month for my next birthday.

I have a history of giving myself a birthday fitness challenge and then training for it about 6 weeks out for the big test on my birthday. This year it's 100 burpees for time. Training right now and it's tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or