U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 PM

20,265 posts, read 12,132,962 times

Advertisements

nooo- who cares at this point - will be 63- and normally I go away for my birthday - some trip or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:49 PM

11,269 posts, read 8,439,906 times
Whatever you decide, stick with it. Don't tell everyone "I want to forget my birthday" then get mad if they don't do anything for you. And if you want something big, PLEASE help plan it. At least plant the appropriate sized seeds to get the ball rolling!

Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I've got one coming up next week (maybe my last one with a zero), and I honestly wish everyone would just chill and ignore it. I mean, I can always eat cake. But getting presents, doing the party thing, etc., just doesn't hold much excitement for me at this stage of life.

How do others feel about this? Still look forward to blowing out that bonfire of candles?
"Do you still care about your birthday?"

Hell yeah!
I love to celebrate ... anything. So why not celebrate the day that I was born?

In three years I'll be 60. And I am already planning that one. I don't feel old. I don't look old. But, there is a slight sting in the numbers.

A good celebration takes the edge off!

(however, if it is NOT for you, don't let people force you into a party that you don't want)

Old 01-25-2016, 06:32 AM

362 posts, read 334,868 times
Nope, no big deal to me.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM

34 posts, read 21,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
How do others feel about this? Still look forward to blowing out that bonfire of candles?
Absolutely I celebrate my birthday. Don't need a big fuss, but I do enjoy having people acknowledge it. An excuse for a family dinner or a friends night out or even a 10 minute break from work to celebrate - what's not to enjoy?

Sure, it's a reminder that I'm getting older. But guess what? I'm getting older whether I celebrate or not. So live it up

For those who think it's silly or immature to celebrate adult birthdays, do you celebrate anything? Anniversary? Christmas? Super Bowl Sunday? Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day (that's today, by the way)?

Old 01-25-2016, 06:01 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
This week, baby! And I'm going to milk it for all its worth!

Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 PM

446 posts, read 282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
This week, baby! And I'm going to milk it for all its worth!
Happy birthday, Seeriously! (I respond well to cues.)🎈🎉🎁🎂🍧

Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 AM

19,825 posts, read 19,916,125 times
I've always kind of thought that the mother is the one that should be celebrated on that day. She's the one that went through all the work and pain and accomplished something momentous.
I also have one coming up this week and I'm fine with the fact that the recognition will probably be a few Face Book greetings and would be even finer without that.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:33 AM

18 posts, read 15,484 times
Nope, I don't care one way or another about my birthday, other than the one when I turn 65 (in another 923 days, and counting)

Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 AM

7,308 posts, read 15,359,891 times
Not particularly. We usually go out to dinner somewhere around our birthdays or our anniversary. Assuming we remember our anniversary, there is usually so much going on in June that we get to July and say "wait, didn't we have an anniversary in there somewhere?" (We are 57 and 63 and have been married 35 years.)

We also don't do presents on the holidays, except for our son and even then it is generally low key.

I will say that my mother made a HUGE deal out of my birthdays - she died when I was 26 and it just added to the overall misery of losing her when my birthday became "just another day". But it was the way SHE celebrated it, not the date itself, that mattered to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or