Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,997,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Not a fan of birthdays. Going out to eat? I do that about every other day. Seeing friends? I see them almost every day. Cake? If I want cake I will bake one or buy one. I don't need a special day to eat cake. Parties? Again, I go to lots of parties. One more isn't necessary. Gifts? I want to get rid of stuff not add to it.
A gal I know goes outs every Friday evening with her husband to dine at their favorite restaurant, has done so for years. When her b/day arrives and she's asked how she'll celebrate she says, "We're going out to dinner Friday at our favorite restaurant."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 09:26 AM

18,750 posts, read 11,720,618 times
I just had a birthday last Monday and for me birthdays with a 9 attached to the end are the most difficult. Do I care about my birthday? Hmmm. I was knee deep in shorties for four days and yes I loved that they wanted to be with me. Three of them came on my birthday which was really fun.

I hate the fact that my 50's will be over with the next birthday, so for that reason I won't be looking forward to the next. It's a milestone birthday and I would love to have a party, but only because I want everyone I love to be in the same room at the same time for one night. Do you know how hard that is to do? John says we'll have to rent a hall

I guess I have mixed emotions about my birthday. The response on Facebook even from the coworkers I left behind in July was heart warming. The response by the shorties in my life and my closet friends was equally as heart warming. One goof ball texted me at 230am with the craziest text message that still makes me laugh when I read it.

There was a line in a movie and I think it was from The Wizard of Oz that said something to the effect that the riches in your life is about how much you are loved. Well if that's true then I'm one of the richest people on the planet and I love being reminded of that on my birthdays.

I guess I could be negative about my birthdays because of the aging process, but I think I'd rather look at them as a celebration of life instead. That and inner child loves birthday cake....ah with ice cream please.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:29 AM

14,200 posts, read 14,571,275 times
My wife and I never made a big thing of birthdays but some people go nuts over them, especially if you forget theirs.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 AM

2,755 posts, read 4,385,581 times
I've always had mixed feelings.

There is a little excitement, but as I get older, there is some sadness.

My father strongly dislikes birthdays and gift giving. He was very poor as a child and they never celebrated birthdays. So birthdays just bring ?sadness and regret to him, and it has spilled over onto us kids. So if anyone ever gives me a gift or wants to "celebrate" my birthday, I just feel foolish and guilty and uncomfortable. Kinda stinks. I love giving gifts though.

So now I don't mention my birthday to anyone, but plan a small "gift" to myself. I might take myself out for lunch. And sometimes I will buy a little surprise for myself that I have been wanting. The nice thing is that I always get what I want!!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,783,297 times
Do I? Sure! I'll be 65 in September, I want a party, a cake, balloons and a pony.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:05 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,621,004 times
It's just another day for me but I do think for everyone it's "their special day" to celebrate the day of their birth. Why not
be spoiled one day of the year anyway. It's a good excuse for family to get together and go out to eat etc, whereas otherwise they wouldn't have. Sort of brings folks together and who doesn't love cake?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:38 AM

25,357 posts, read 17,010,145 times
No.

But SHE cares about HERS! I know better than to forget that day.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 AM

16,365 posts, read 30,083,242 times
Absolutely. It is better to celebrate your birthday ... than to stop having them.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,321,583 times
No

Old 01-23-2016, 10:53 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,077,245 times
A couple months ago we attended a birthday party for a 70 year old friend. She invited 80 friends to a nice restaurant/event center and covered all of the costs, probably $5000. I plan on celebrating quietly. I do hope to have at least a couple more zero birthdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement