U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:14 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times

Advertisements

I've got one coming up next week (maybe my last one with a zero), and I honestly wish everyone would just chill and ignore it. I mean, I can always eat cake. But getting presents, doing the party thing, etc., just doesn't hold much excitement for me at this stage of life.

How do others feel about this? Still look forward to blowing out that bonfire of candles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 09:41 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,450,730 times
do I care about my birthday? absolutely not, and I have not cared for decades, and really never cared much about it.

I think it's silly for adults to make a big deal about their birthday.

And I always thought it was completely asinine to celebrate birthdays on the job in the workplace. It was always forced upon us in my various workplaces.

When I see adults making a big deal about their own birthday, I think they have not matured and are childish, especially people in their late 20's, 30's, 40's who still want a celebration. just my opinion.

And when you get older, it just marks one more year closer to your own death and one less year of life which I do not appreciate commemorating. It's great to be alive.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-22-2016 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 PM

669 posts, read 520,615 times
Birthdays have not meant anything to me for decades either. I know people who have birthday months and celebrate the whole month. I agree with you both. Birthdays are for kids.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:58 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
Interesting responses. I'd like it if my adult kids would send me a card or note on my birthday, but they don't. They remember after the fact, usually. It isn't as if they never remember. Both DH and I use our birthdays to buy things for ourselves that we want. In other words we choose our own gifts. For some reason, DH uses birthdays to buy things for himself that he might not ordinarily buy, and I guess I have begun doing the same.

But I don't need a celebration or party. I don't feel deprived without a cake or a party. I don't really think about it too much, actually, except as an excuse to obtain something somewhat costly without feeling guilty.

I have marked birthdays at work differently in the different places I worked at. Honestly a card from my work group with all their names on it and a few kind words written down, was more meaningful to me than a cake or gift.

I don't begrudge others' celebrations though. Every family and every workplace has its own customs. So, to each his own.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:06 PM

255 posts, read 233,762 times
I'm content with having dinner out with my husband and at least a cupcake. One son always remembers to call; the other one is hit and miss:/

Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 PM

14,035 posts, read 20,355,620 times
Nope.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:37 PM

7,116 posts, read 8,156,220 times
I will always remember my own and my wife's birthdays as being our special days. We don't ever have a party or big celebration, but we do have a cake, usually for dessert after supper, and that supper is usually our favorite meal. Often, I'll take her out for the meal, but we have the cake at home. One of the nice things about moving somewhere new, is finding a place that makes good birthday cakes!

My favorite gifts are handmade cards from the grandkids. It's always interesting to see how their drawing abilities progress over the years! My birthday is in the summer, and often my daughters will gift me with a charter boat rental for fishing down in RI. We turn it into a family fishing fest!

You couldn't possibly expect me to complain about a gift like that...could you?

Old 01-22-2016, 10:49 PM

1,162 posts, read 650,159 times
I'm pleased if my kids remember, maybe send a card or call. I'm pleased if my husband remembers, maybe we'd go to dinner or something. I prefer not to have a party. And of course I love cake! That's enough! I usually go out and get something I've been wanting. Recently 3 girlfriends have been meeting for brunch on our birthdays. That's nice. But if there wasn't anything done on the day, it wouldn't be the end of the world, either.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,750,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I've got one coming up next week (maybe my last one with a zero), and I honestly wish everyone would just chill and ignore it. I mean, I can always eat cake. But getting presents, doing the party thing, etc., just doesn't hold much excitement for me at this stage of life.

How do others feel about this? Still look forward to blowing out that bonfire of candles?
I've never cared much about my birthday. So I care less now. Sometimes I even forget it's my birthday.

My sister was gravely ill in a hospital out of state. There were prepartions and packing and kenneling the dogs for me to drive down there to be with her and the rest of the family. I was halfway there, when I remembered that it was my birthday.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 PM

13,232 posts, read 6,335,450 times
I still go for a piece of cake, but no big cake because my birthday is close to Xmas. But my family still make big deal, especially my kids, they buy me gifts. For me, I just like to have them all together and enjoy a nice day out. Asfor gifts, Ive already buy anything I like whenever I like, there is no need for waiting for birthdays, same with my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or