U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times
Reputation: 29358

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Now that is really funny for someone like me who has been wearing glasses since age 7 or so .

Note that there is hope for you . When you need cataract surgery (and you will need it unless you die pretty young) - you can get a lens implant that will correct your vision back to where it was when you were a kid (OTOH - last time I looked - Medicare didn't pay for these new zippy lenses ). Robyn
Incorrect. I have worked in ophthalmology for over a decade. Medicare does indeed pay for new glasses following cataract surgery as well as the IOLs (intraocular lenses, the implants which replace your old cloudy ones). Medicare pays for a basic glasses frame, a single vision, lined bifocal, or lined trifocal lens. If you want a progressive lens or any special coatings, you have to pay extra, but they still pay some on your progressive lens. That is the only time Medicare will pay for glasses. The rest of the time Medicare does not consider glasses medically necessary. I won't even go into how silly I think it is that Medicare doesn't consider prescription glasses medically necessary. They are called PRESCRIPTION for a reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2016, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,158 posts, read 648,171 times
Reputation: 2244
Escort, try to focus your thoughts on just what your medicine does for you, how much worse off you would be without it. Then you might not feel so bad to have to take it.

I was in your shoes for many years, being told at the ripe old age of 12 I needed to be on a medicine. I resisted and had awful consequences off and on for years. At one point I feared what I could do in my life if I DID take that medicine. Then at one point I gave up fighting it and became grateful it was available to make my life manageable and a normal as possible. For the rest of my life I have faithfully taken my dosages twice a day, changing meds whenever necessary, managing side effects, testing and seeing dr. once a year.

I am grateful insurance part D helps me pay for this and that it is only about $33 a month until the 12th month when it is a bit cheaper due to paying most of the deductible by that time. I am happy that I have been ok on the generic. If I couldn't afford it and there was nothing in my budget to give up instead, I would check out Canada first, then do whatever I needed to be able to afford it. Sometimes drug manufacturers offer a little help if you will contact them and fill out some paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 01:46 AM
 
1,943 posts, read 1,334,760 times
Reputation: 3327
The only reason I want to work past retirement age is because the odds of me having to take prescription pills at that age are high. It's when we reach the 'golden' years that we really need medical coverage, not when we are younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach FL
14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Reputation: 6716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Incorrect. I have worked in ophthalmology for over a decade. Medicare does indeed pay for new glasses following cataract surgery as well as the IOLs (intraocular lenses, the implants which replace your old cloudy ones). Medicare pays for a basic glasses frame, a single vision, lined bifocal, or lined trifocal lens. If you want a progressive lens or any special coatings, you have to pay extra, but they still pay some on your progressive lens. That is the only time Medicare will pay for glasses. The rest of the time Medicare does not consider glasses medically necessary. I won't even go into how silly I think it is that Medicare doesn't consider prescription glasses medically necessary. They are called PRESCRIPTION for a reason
I was talking about these so-called "premium" intraocular lens implants - which not only eliminate the old cloudy lens - but also seem to reduce or eliminate the need for wearing glasses for some people:

https://www.drschnipper.com/jacksonv...crystalens.htm

I am pretty sure Medicare doesn't cover those when it comes to cataract surgery (although Medicare perhaps allows a credit for the price of a "regular" lens). My father paid extra for them when he had his cataract surgery. I forget what he paid - but he thought they were well worth the extra cost. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 07:44 AM
 
6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Reputation: 12710
I was quoted an additional out of pocket cost of $1500 for each multifocus IOL. Turns out I did not qualify medically because of a previous eye issue. I had the standard fixed IOL implants. That means I have no near vision and need glasses for reading and using a computer or cellphone or camera, etc. In theory implants should be able to correct distant vision so glasses are not needed. I found that claim to be an exaggeration. I found I could substantially improve my distant vision with glasses. I do not need them for driving but they help bring me from about 20:30 to close to 20:20.


So I am back to wearing glasses fulltime. I have bifocals for routine use. I also need separate glasses for using the computer. The reading portion of my bifocals focuses at a distance for reading and not for use of the computer. It also turns out that my glasses cost a small fortune. I tried inexpensive Costco glasses. I replaced the lenses on warranty due to cracking. When they cracked again, I gave up. Even though the glasses had coatings, the glare was horrible. I could barely drive at night due to all of the lens flare. Some of that is due to the implants themselves but that makes additional glare even more dangerous. I solved the problem with Crizal coatings at about double the cost of premium glasses. The costs are not covered by Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 07:50 AM
 
6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Reputation: 12710
I should correct my statement about Costco glasses being inexpensive. Standard lined bifocals cost about $150. Glasses remain a horrible ripoff due to a monopoly. Almost all glasses are made by one Italian company that also owns most of the eyeglass stores and chains. We need the Chinese to break the monopoly. The Chinese do great at manufacture but cannot break the distribution monopoly. I cannot predict the cost for making lenses, but quality eyeglass frames should cost about $10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,158 posts, read 648,171 times
Reputation: 2244
Last year my glasses cost me $380.00 but they are progressive lenses that darken in sunlight. I tried separate sunglasses one year and found the changing back and forth annoying. I was told to wear sunglasses or darkening lenses to protect my eyes.

I would never do those special lenses after cataract surgery. Girlfriend did that, paying $1500 for each eye and each eye did not correct completely and she had to have another lense implanted behind the 1st lense. After all that, she still wears those little half glasses to read with.

I'm used to wearing glasses, have for 20+ years. They go on when I get up, off when I go to bed! Right now they can't get me 20/20 because of growing cataracts. I'm trying to hold off getting them done so I'll get some use out of these expensive glasses first.

Medicare paid for part of my eye exam because I had a medical reason to be examined (the cataracts). I was really surprised since this was just an optometrist, not an eye MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
 
6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Reputation: 12710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
.... I'm trying to hold off getting them done so I'll get some use out of these expensive glasses first.
..................

Don't hold off. You will appreciate being able to see well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,743 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Reputation: 14219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Last year my glasses cost me $380.00 but they are progressive lenses that darken in sunlight. I tried separate sunglasses one year and found the changing back and forth annoying. I was told to wear sunglasses or darkening lenses to protect my eyes.

I would never do those special lenses after cataract surgery. Girlfriend did that, paying $1500 for each eye and each eye did not correct completely and she had to have another lense implanted behind the 1st lense. After all that, she still wears those little half glasses to read with.

I'm used to wearing glasses, have for 20+ years. They go on when I get up, off when I go to bed! Right now they can't get me 20/20 because of growing cataracts. I'm trying to hold off getting them done so I'll get some use out of these expensive glasses first.

Medicare paid for part of my eye exam because I had a medical reason to be examined (the cataracts). I was really surprised since this was just an optometrist, not an eye MD.
I was surprised when I discovered that diagnosis and treatment of diseases was within the scope of optometrists' license, although not all of them do this, apparently. I was diagnosed with glaucoma some years ago, and see an optomotrist at an eye clinic ( where they also have several opthalmologists) several times a year. I'm happy with her and think she does a good job, and Medicare has always paid for these visits.

I've known both people who were happy with those special lenses after cataract surgery and those who were not. I also had the monocular lenses ( for distance vision) put in after my cataract surgery, as I thought I would rather wear glasses for reading and close work and not worry about not liking those special lenses- also didn't feel like paying extra for those and then not like them. Sometimes astigmatism, which also isn't corrected with those monocular lenses, can be the reason you still need prescription glasses even for distant vision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,628 posts, read 3,694,680 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I was surprised when I discovered that diagnosis and treatment of diseases was within the scope of optometrists' license, although not all of them do this, apparently.
Interesting, I didn't realize this either. From a site on eye care: "The main difference between the two eye-related careers is that an ophthalmologist can handle surgeries and other issues that require more training on the medical side."

Ophthalmologist vs Optometrist - Knowing The Difference

It also sounds like what optometrists can do may vary from state to state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top