U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 AM

9,744 posts, read 7,025,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
::::sigh:::: I'm very fond of "rough around the edges" comments and usually find humor in them. Some would do well to get over themselves. It makes life so much more enjoyable and eliminates the need to always be on edge lest someone might take offense. But then, I never pretended to be politically correct despite working in politics for 20 years..
This^^^^^^!

Life is too short to spend it being offended, IMO. It's much more fun getting a kick out of the ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 11:43 AM

13,202 posts, read 6,308,074 times
I thought they are terms of endearment , but I never refer to myself or my husband as old farts. But I do ask for senior citizen discount everywhere I think I might get a break.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:55 AM

116 posts, read 79,141 times
Default Age isn't respected in this society

Just in general, of course. Not everyone feels this way. These disrespectful terminologies for elders are not taken real seriously, seen as funny; it's accepted since it's heard so frequently. Remember those ads with the "Pepsi Generation" where everyone is young and vibrant?? Well, the population is aging. When friends of mine refer to themselves as old fart, or getting old etc., I say don't do that. In my mind I'm still 20ish, and don't feel much different. That explains some of my childishness With age comes wisdom, and that should be more esteemed in this culture.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:49 PM

19,883 posts, read 14,224,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Why do so many people use disgusting fecal terms for Old people?
I prefer the term "old skins."

Old 01-24-2016, 01:00 PM

1,450 posts, read 875,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't think old people themselves mind as much as people who care about being politically correct, and they don't care about these terms at all.
This is true, most my age think of politics as a practical profession, not much else. being over 70, I think I represent the old crowd now.

This is how I see it, calling a man an old fart is not so bad, but calling a women that is disrespectful. If you have to be rude, the calling someone like me and old bat would be alright; otherwise old lady is more sensible. If someone called me an old turd, I would beat him, or her with my purse!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:24 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,332,370 times
Get over it. "Kids these days..." put up with more crap, plus they pay your social security benefits, plus they pay full price at the restaurant and YOU get a discount, you old bastard.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:33 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Farting passengers were a big problem at night on international flights.

When a flight attendant had gas, we use to walk down the aisle fast and let it out. We called it crop dusting.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 PM

154 posts, read 88,622 times
Default In addition..

I hate it when people call their husbands/wives my old lady/old man. It sounds so disrespectful!!

I guess some don't mind it, but I don't even like being called, "The wife" as I don't call my other half, "The husband.."

Sounds sort of funny when I think about it. My husband was talking on the phone yesterday and said, "I'll have to check with the wife". LOL, I DO have a name, yet I might have to check with "the husband" in case he forgot it!!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 PM

33,877 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
I hate it when people call their husbands/wives my old lady/old man. It sounds so disrespectful!!

I guess some don't mind it, but I don't even like being called, "The wife" as I don't call my other half, "The husband.."

Sounds sort of funny when I think about it. My husband was talking on the phone yesterday and said, "I'll have to check with the wife". LOL, I DO have a name, yet I might have to check with "the husband" in case he forgot it!!

Little woman? Better half? Ball and chain?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:46 PM

33,877 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Farting passengers were a big problem at night on international flights.

When a flight attendant had gas, we use to walk down the aisle fast and let it out. We called it crop dusting.

We had an English teacher (woman) who used to do that. What was funny was that she'd let one go and blame one of the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or