U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:54 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times

Advertisements

Personally, I find the term "Boomer" more annoying than any other term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 02:14 PM

446 posts, read 282,616 times
I'm a fan of early (trad) jazz, and fans of later jazz refer to us as Moldy Figs. But that term was coined in the mid forties before I was born, so it's hard to take offense. Guess I've grown into it. Funny part is the beboppers who first used the phrase are now considered moldy figs themselves, by later musicians. We humans excel in finding ways to set ourselves apart.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:17 PM

895 posts, read 1,332,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
the snoring thread prompted me to ask this question. Op refers to "old retired turds."

why do so many people use disgusting fecal terms for old people?they even say it about themselves. I've heard people in their 40's refer to themselves as "old farts."

understand, it's not the crudeness of the terms that offends me. I laugh at a funny bathroom joke same as the next guy. What bugs me is the underlying sense that old people are being compared, and comparing themselves, to bodily functions. No other group that i know of, does this.
Why do people use disrespectful terms for Old people e.g. "old fart/old turd" etc.?-humor-old-people.jpg

Old 01-24-2016, 03:31 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,502,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
I hate it when people call their husbands/wives my old lady/old man. It sounds so disrespectful!!

I guess some don't mind it, but I don't even like being called, "The wife" as I don't call my other half, "The husband.."

Sounds sort of funny when I think about it. My husband was talking on the phone yesterday and said, "I'll have to check with the wife". LOL, I DO have a name, yet I might have to check with "the husband" in case he forgot it!!
My wife and I often call one another "old man" and "old woman" but to us they're terms of endearment used affectionately and with humor. Perhaps it's because we married later in life - her 48 and me 50 - or maybe we just watched The Waltons too often.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:41 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
I think calling older people names is disgusting and demeaning.

Just as the content of this thread is disgusting, with its gross bathroom 'humor', fecal terminology for older people, and attempts at trying to justify treating older people in a very demeaning way.

Older people should NEVER be called names nor referred to in derogatory, ugly, diminishing terms, including a wide variety of terminology.

Those of you who say no one cares are wrong. Speak for yourself and no one else about not caring.

Being crude and crass is never okay, but especially not okay when referring to older people.

'little old lady' is also objectionable and diminishing too. No one says 'little old man'. And those who refer to themselves with this term of 'little old lady' need not pipe up that you call yourself this.

There have always been low life posters in Retirement Forum and in life, so anyone reading this thread should not take it as a valid sample.

Robbing people of dignity and worth by referring to them in demeaning disrespectful terms just perpetuates wrong stereotypes and the way people are treated in society.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-24-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-24-2016, 04:31 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Farting passengers were a big problem at night on international flights.

When a flight attendant had gas, we use to walk down the aisle fast and let it out. We called it crop dusting.

I will probably never look at another flight attendant without grinning.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:34 PM

33,908 posts, read 42,154,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think calling older people names is disgusting and demeaning.

Just as the content of this thread is disgusting, with its gross bathroom 'humor', fecal terminology for older people, and attempts at trying to justify treating older people in a very demeaning way.

Older people should NEVER be called names nor referred to in derogatory, ugly, diminishing terms, including a wide variety of terminology.

Those of you who say no one cares are wrong. Speak for yourself and no one else about not caring.

Being crude and crass is never okay, but especially not okay when referring to older people.

'little old lady' is also objectionable and diminishing too. No one says 'little old man'. And those who refer to themselves with this term of 'little old lady' need not pipe up that you call yourself this.

There have always been low life posters in Retirement Forum and in life, so anyone reading this thread should not take it as a valid sample.

Robbing people of dignity and worth by referring to them in demeaning disrespectful terms just perpetuates wrong stereotypes and the way people are treated in society.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:38 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,869,967 times
Kindly refer to me as "Oh Wise, Exalted, Pretty One" and we're good.

Old fart?

Perish the thought!

Old 01-24-2016, 04:44 PM

20,271 posts, read 12,132,962 times
I'm 62 and if I start to resemble those old nasty people time to put me down. I hope I stay young, flexible and open minded in my mind at least. Brrrr but many have earned those names !

Old 01-24-2016, 05:16 PM

563 posts, read 384,875 times
Default Come to think of it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
The snoring thread prompted me to ask this question. OP refers to "old retired turds."

Why do so many people use disgusting fecal terms for Old people?They even say it about themselves. I've heard people in their 40's refer to themselves as "old farts."

Understand, it's not the crudeness of the terms that offends me. I laugh at a funny bathroom joke same as the next guy. What bugs me is the underlying sense that Old people are being compared, and comparing themselves, to bodily functions. No other group that I know of, does this.
I think it must be sort of prejudice. Why don't really old people win Oscars? Boycott!!!! I want lots of old people on TV and in the movies. I want new music, but performed by old people. Old rap!! Old R & B. If you don't like old people, you are an old people hater. I think old people need to start packing heat. No, not Ben Gay or Icy Hot!!! Just be straight up gangster! You know, OG. (Original Gangster). If you want respect in this country, you gotta kick some #@$!!!

Good luck with your revolution! I support you all the way. Next time there is a chance to riot, go for it. You just hop on the motorized chair and head into town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or