U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:23 PM

10,534 posts, read 8,452,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Hm, never bothered me before I read this thread!

I prefer Better Half. I always hated the Old Lady designation for wife. Young people do that and I find it disrespectful.

Other thing I dislike is when people forget things they say they have Oldtimer's disease. While it may be true, I don't like hearing it.

Here in retirement land, we hear Senior Citizen a lot. That's ok, if a bit formal. I wonder if countries that revere their elderly more than Americans do use these terms for their older population?

In the United Kingdom, the equivalent is "Old Age Pensioner".

A number of years ago, my then 70-something American aunt was quite affronted when asked if she was an old age pensioner when she purchased a ticket to tour a government-owned castle: "A old age pensioner!! I've never been so insulted in my life!", she declared.

I had to tell her that the ticket seller was just trying to determine if she qualified for a senior discount.

If I went back to that castle, I expect I'd be asked the same question nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,978,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I work with older people, 70's-80's and many focus on their bowels. So, I think the poopy shoe fits for many.

OMG, this cartoon/card is hysterical! I figured somewhat what it was saying/showing, but when I looked harder/more carefully and the full realization of the picture and meaning hit me, I actually LOL and I live alone! Where did you come across this? (still LOL). I tried to rep you but have to spread the "love".

Curm, I love yours too. Thanks for the laugh as well.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have never given a whole lot of thought about these terms used to describe older people (I'm one of them!!).

However, what irritates the heck out of me is how blatantly people throw that F word around. How did that get to be so "popular?" That is the "big one" for me.

I agree.

I grew up with the terminology "old fart". It meant an adult with no sense of humor when we were goofing around or acting silly and annoying the adult in charge. To use it now, IMO, means someone who can't take a joke, finds everything unfunny, takes life too seriously, someone who needs to "lighten up".

Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Personally, I find the term "Boomer" more annoying than any other term.
As in "Baby Boomer" or passing gas? I ask because we taught our little ones to say boomer whenever they passed gas.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:25 AM

6,353 posts, read 7,838,998 times
For years, a local grocery store offered a discount to older shoppers every Tuesday, presumably to get people into the store during the slower day and out of the weekend crowds. When the store owners reached the Magic Age, it finally occurred to them that many people were offended when the cashiers asked the shopper, "Senior Citizen discount?" so they put the eligibility on the Shopper Card and eliminated the question.

The term "old fart" certainly predates On Golden Pond. Years ago, a friend of the family always called my Father an old fart and Dad was in his early forties at the time. He was brought up to be a gentleman and though the term offended him, he was too polite to protest, so he simply smiled through gritted teeth. This same family friend called children "little turds". She never used profanity and her heart was as big as the sky. If she had two, she'd give you one. She never turned anyone away from her table. She took in children in the neighborhood who she sensed were underfed and sat them down and gave them breakfast. She once called after a boy that he "forgot his lunch" and handed him a sack lunch that she had packed for him. She didn't want to embarrass him in front of the other kids at the bus stop. This was before the days of free or reduced price lunches and the "Little Turd" would have gone hungry.

Although she had very rough edges, it would be a disservice to call her a "low-life". (Now, there's an offensive term.)

I mourn the civility that existed when a man wouldn't swear in the presence of women and women wouldn't swear in anyone's presence. But I've seen a lot of changes in my 80 years and I recognize that many of those changes are beyond my ability to reverse. But offensive or not, no one can rob me of my dignity and self-worth as long as I maintain said dignity.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:35 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,255,208 times
I'm 46, most of my closest friends and associates are of the above 65 crowd..
It's also not uncommon for me to say old fart, old bastard, crinkly wrinkles..
I assure you no disrespect is intended, I respect these fine men and ladies immensely..
They know it, I know it.. I guess it's all in context..

Old 01-26-2016, 07:22 AM

1,592 posts, read 893,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
However, what irritates the heck out of me is how blatantly people throw that F word around. How did that get to be so "popular?" That is the "big one" for me.

I know we have our preferences. I'll take hearing F bomb over old fart/old turd. The F bomb isn't as gross.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I know we have our preferences. I'll take hearing F bomb over old fart/old turd. The F bomb isn't as gross.
You are correct, we do have our preferences. The F-bomb has always been offensive, at one time it was assumed to mean having sex (no I don't think having sex is offensive). The other terms, to my knowledge, have never meant anything but a person of age.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:45 AM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
theatergypsy: "I mourn the civility that existed when a man wouldn't swear in the presence of women and women wouldn't swear in anyone's presence. But I've seen a lot of changes in my 80 years and I recognize that many of those changes are beyond my ability to reverse. But offensive or not, no one can rob me of my dignity and self-worth as long as I maintain said dignity."

^^^^ Very well said.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 AM

769 posts, read 630,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
The snoring thread prompted me to ask this question. OP refers to "old retired turds."

Why do so many people use disgusting fecal terms for Old people?They even say it about themselves. I've heard people in their 40's refer to themselves as "old farts."

Understand, it's not the crudeness of the terms that offends me. I laugh at a funny bathroom joke same as the next guy. What bugs me is the underlying sense that Old people are being compared, and comparing themselves, to bodily functions. No other group that I know of, does this.
I never heard such talk. Maybe your hanging out with the wrong crowd ?

Consider joining a golf club, or knitting club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or