U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:35 PM

9,498 posts, read 5,295,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Thanks! And congratulations.

If you don't mind me asking your age?

I read somewhere that health starts going South after age 70. That's when serious health issues arise. Don't know if it's true, but curious.
It still can be very much dependent on good lifestyle choices particularly those developed when one is young that you continue to do. My older sister will 73 this year and is in fantastic shape. She needs reading glasses but that's it. She's never been overweight although she had two children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,880,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Not me, but DH went and got himself a job as a park attendant at our local state park. He does mostly hard physical work two days per week.

Since he started, he's lost 20 pounds without really trying. He was able to drop one of his blood pressure medicines. He's noticeably stronger and has more endurance than he did before. He's getting minimum wage, but he figures the park is paying him to work out so he's pleased with that.

He was off for a couple of weeks because he overdid it and strained his back. It was long enough that after his first day back, he came home and told me he felt like someone had beat him up. So, that supports the idea of "use it or lose it".
That's a good news story about the value of exercise for sure! I exercise steadily to keep my blood pressure in check, but still on the meds so far...

I find it hard to restrict salt even though I don't add any and read labels--it's everywhere and I seem pretty sensitive to it. Slipped up last week and had some pretzels and found my heart pounding...

Old 01-24-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I never smoked. Never drank much. I walk a lot and always have since I live in very urban area(I sold my car some time ago). I only take a multiple vitamin every day. I'm on no medication. I rarely get infections of any kind. I have no joint issues. And I do as much as I can to keep my weight under control... That's hard because I love food but I rarely eat desserts.

I have been watching salt intake for years because my family history does include high blood pressure.

Here's the part that is beyond interesting. No one in my family(at least including my grandparents' generation) has had cancer.

I'm 66 and been retired for four years.
That's great--you sound as though you have a lot of good habits. Curious, what's your diet like? Do you eat a lot of veggies for example? What about meat?

I'm going toward very little meat and adding a lot more salad and steamed vegetables to my diet.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:11 PM

13,378 posts, read 6,390,348 times
I rarely get sick, I cook a lot because I can control the salt and sugar. I reduce the sugar to 1/3. I have to watch out for high blood pressure, it's genetics.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:02 PM

4,349 posts, read 6,070,687 times
Quote:
Hi!

Wondering if anyone of retirement age and older has maintained their good health through a healthy lifestyle? Such as eating a great diet, regular exercise, stress-reduction techniques, maybe some supplements and such?

Maybe free from medications and medical procedures.

Love to hear how you do it and your successful blueprint for a healthy life and good health.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Let me ask my friend this question. 65 years old, never smoked, doesn't drink, beverage of choice is water, cooks everything from scratch, has a cooking blog, etc., etc... and last year was diagnosed with stage 3 nonsmokers lung cancer. Sometimes we can't control things like environmental pollution or genes.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Let me ask my friend this question. 65 years old, never smoked, doesn't drink, beverage of choice is water, cooks everything from scratch, has a cooking blog, etc., etc... and last year was diagnosed with stage 3 nonsmokers lung cancer. Sometimes we can't control things like environmental pollution or genes.
That's so sad. NO, we can't control fate...or environmental pollutants, .but we can sure mitigate or help prevent the most common diseases by choosing a healthy lifestyle.

I'm sure we could all relate information about our friends and relatives who suffer diabetes, heart conditions, joint replacements and other major diseases through an unhealthy lifestyle.

My brother, who is morbidly obese, never exercises and has adult onset diabetes even though diabetes doesn't run in our family. So he can't blame it on genes-- but on choice.

I know folks who have gotten off their meds when they started modifying their diets and increasing their exercise.

Me, I think a healthy lifestyle is the best ammunition against disability and serious disease.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
The healthiest old people I read about have said they have very little stress. Probably from being in a close community with strong positive relationships. Much has been written about this as a highly important factor.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
The healthiest old people I read about have said they have very little stress. Probably from being in a close community with strong positive relationships. Much has been written about this as a highly important factor.
Yep, been reading about that...close connections and a sense of purpose really count for a lot.

"Isolation kills."

Old 01-25-2016, 05:57 AM

7,119 posts, read 8,174,638 times
Quote:
I'm going toward very little meat and adding a lot more salad and steamed vegetables to my diet.
I'm 68, take no meds, and have no health issues. Never smoked; only drank occasional beer in hot weather. I do not take supplements. I did once, and developed some weird symptoms. Doc told me to stop them, as I didn't need something in there. I did, and it all went away.

I agree with those who say you need to have a purpose in life. Being bored and watching 5-6 hours of TV at night is a sure way to get old fast. I get up at 4:30 am and go outside to do chores. We raise hundreds of poultry. I'm outside and busy, more than inside. I think the sun and fresh air, even in winter cold, is good for you. I still plow our drive and shovel the walkway. We own no TV.

I had both knees replaced 3 years ago, due to damage from work. No problems, now...it's all good, and I highly recommend joint surgery for those in pain. It's over fairly quickly, and much better afterwards!

I quoted you above, to caution not to jump into fads. Vegans and vegetarians are all the rage today. Be cautious of too many grains. You need protein and fat to maintain muscle, and keep your weight down. That and drinking lots of water, will prevent BP problems. Don't be afraid of meat, fish, eggs, etc.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 AM

Thanks and good advice from a healthy person--and a very active one!

I do eat eggs, love salmon, and just enjoyed a hearty beef stew I made--but it was light on the beef and heavy on the veggies.

But quite frequently, I do prepare animal-free meals. Aiming for moderation and balance.

I was raised, as many of us were, on putting together meals that were "chicken and", or "meatloaf and." Know what I mean? When asked what we're having for dinner, we'll say, "roast chicken and...." The meat is the centerpiece

Now I often go for the "and" part and leave out the meat...for example, I can be happy with a baked potato or brown rice and a salad and some steamed veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement