U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,117,794 times

Advertisements

Many of you say you don't drink. But people who have one drink a day are healthier than those who rarely drink. I have a glass of wine while I am cooking dinner. I hold my wine glass up and toast the good fortunes of my life. Sometimes I play loud music and dance around the house. It makes me feel young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:30 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,243,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
She jokes that I need to change my name to Iron Man or Dick Steele. Lol
I think I'll just call you dick, if you get my drift.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:44 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,276,912 times
Since retiring in 2008, I have stopped smoking, stopped drinking, and changed to fish/vegetable with fruit smoothies. Walk the dogs separately three miles so I get six total and that is everyday. Even bought a pair of Stabilicer spikes to walk in the winter ice.

I lift weights every other day, and ride a stationary bike, maybe three times a week.

Take one aspirin and one Prilosec daily, but not other drugs. BP is usually around 110/75, but last month it was at 102/70 (taken twice during a physical).

Before retiring I was a 2 pack a day smoker who would also have a drink or two a day. But I worked in countries where smoking was more common than texting is today in the USA. So it was rough to quit until I retired, and then it was cold turkey.

I can say I have only been in a hospital for accidents or to have lead projectiles removed; and those weren't accidents.

I'm 68. Am I healthier now then before? NO! But I will say I am sure healthier than most of the people my age that I meet or see on the streets.

Genetics may have something to do with it; can't say for sure. That fact is unknown, at least to me!

Old 01-25-2016, 04:32 PM

28 posts, read 12,916 times
I'm only 56 and don't feel much different than I did 30 years ago. My parents are in excellent health in their late eighties and my grandparents all lived into their late nineties. Like most of them, my approach has been eating a mostly non processed food diet, exercising a lot, getting plenty of sleep and drinking moderate amounts of only good beer every day.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM

5,223 posts, read 3,633,703 times
I'm 78, a little overweight, bad knees, walk a mile most days,have bourbon on ice every night. I also generally eat what I like. Just had surgery on one eye. I guess If I go blind I'll have to give up the mile walk.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,056,653 times
I'm thinking, short of doing things that are outright harmful to oneself, it's a dice toss. Enjoy! Have that glass of wine.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:23 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,746,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Hi!

Wondering if anyone of retirement age and older has maintained their good health through a healthy lifestyle? Such as eating a great diet, regular exercise, stress-reduction techniques, maybe some supplements and such?

Maybe free from medications and medical procedures.

Love to hear how you do it and your successful blueprint for a healthy life and good health.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Yes. My bloodwork is better at 62 than it was 30 years ago. Weight the same. Take no medications. I do have osteoarthritis (a mild case...I don't take pain pills or anything; just some creaks & occasional stiffness if I've been sitting a long time).

I don't eat beef or pork
Drink homemade green tea as my bev of choice
I cut my sugar consumption way down (but still like sweets, occasionally)
I'm sugar free in my daily eating (SF jam, SF ice cream, etc.)
Exercise is that I walk every day, do resistance exercises occasionally, occasional yoga.

I do other dietary things, but the most important IMO are: I consume normal to low sodium; I eat processed foods only occasionally (anything in a box or can); whole grains only - never white; I eat fruit every day; oils are Omega 3; sugar is not part of my daily diet except in natural foods like apples.

I don't drink alcohol (maybe 2 drinks a year, if that). Or smoke. I never go to bed w/o my teeth brushed and face washed.

I think genes matter, and that weight matters more than a lot of people think. My weight is normal, though I could stand to lose a few pounds (but I'm normal, I suppose, at a size 10).

I think walking is very important. Walking does something that other exercises don't do.

I take vitamins & fish oil & glucosamine when I think of it. Just to cover my bases. But I avoid drugs like the plague. I think they mess with the system. I'll take a couple of aleve only when necessary, which is not often.

Last edited by bpollen; 01-25-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 08:30 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
I should be getting more exercise. In my mother's family all the men died of heart disease, all the women died of cancer. In my dad's family the men way back died young but my gramp married my gram who lived until 90. She brought some degree of longevity into the family because her children lived to their 90s.

Most illnesses I've had were brought on by prescription medications. I think antibiotics weaken you in the long run. We had a very long discussion one time were I used to work and the co-workers who didn't have antibiotics when they were kids were healthier than those of us who were loaded up on penicillin just because we had a cold or something. Antibiotics had just been discovered when I was a kid--my dr gave out shots of penicillin for everything. I had anti depressants back when I was first divorced and have never recovered from the side effects and wish the doctor had never put me on them.

I try to eat right, we cook everything from scratch now that there is time. It's hard to get out and exercise in winter unless you shovel snow and that's supposed to be dangerous so what can you do? Go to the gym. Why can't I get motivated?

For cooking we make a roast every Sunday and eat it most of the week, along with other meat and vegetables. Husband eats sweets like crazy but I use stevia instead of sugar in my tea. He gets some exercise walking the dog every day but I have become a wuss who stays inside unless it's summer and I can work in the garden or go to the beach. Got to get more exercise!

Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 PM

6,620 posts, read 3,746,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'm 68, take no meds, and have no health issues. Never smoked; only drank occasional beer in hot weather. I do not take supplements. I did once, and developed some weird symptoms. Doc told me to stop them, as I didn't need something in there. I did, and it all went away.

I agree with those who say you need to have a purpose in life. Being bored and watching 5-6 hours of TV at night is a sure way to get old fast. I get up at 4:30 am and go outside to do chores. We raise hundreds of poultry. I'm outside and busy, more than inside. I think the sun and fresh air, even in winter cold, is good for you. I still plow our drive and shovel the walkway. We own no TV.

I had both knees replaced 3 years ago, due to damage from work. No problems, now...it's all good, and I highly recommend joint surgery for those in pain. It's over fairly quickly, and much better afterwards!

I quoted you above, to caution not to jump into fads. Vegans and vegetarians are all the rage today. Be cautious of too many grains. You need protein and fat to maintain muscle, and keep your weight down. That and drinking lots of water, will prevent BP problems. Don't be afraid of meat, fish, eggs, etc.
Beans are high in protein. There's a bit of protein in many non-meats. Beans & rice are a complete protein. Eggs, milk, & cheese have protein.

Vegetarianism has been an eating pattern for many centuries. It's not a fad. Regligions, in particular, ate that way centuries ago. The meatless groups live longer than those who eat meat, on average.

The body needs only about 60 grams of protein a day. About as much as in a lean steak the size of a woman's palm. Most Americans eat triple that amount.

Just so you're aware.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:10 PM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
I think genetics are the most important thing to a point.

I look at it like this. I had two grandfathers. One was extremely straight laced, never smoked, probably never drank more than a case of beer in his life, and had heart problems from his early 50s on. He died in 2009 at age 77 - not a bad run considering how bad off he was for years, but from age 60 on he was extremely limited in what he could. His QoL sucked.

The other grandfather is still kicking today at 81 undergoing a knee surgery tomorrow. He's obviously healthy enough and the doctors feel it's worthwhile enough to do it. He has always repaired appliances on the side and continues doing so. He has over a dozen DUIs in numerous states and was a lifelong alcoholic until age 75, a somewhat heavy pipe/cigarette/pot smoker, and lived horribly.

People need to take care of themselves within a reasonable constraint, but I largely think you have what you have in your genes, and lifestyle, provided you do not go to extremes, is basically tweaking the edges of the genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement