Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 04:50 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,289,729 times

Advertisements

I think being overweight and not walking everyday, is the biggest factor in not aging well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:19 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
The biggest factor is talking about your health, thinking about your health, reading about your health online, and having threads like this one.

Enjoy life, laugh, and have fun. That will do more for your health than any diet. Talk to people, except about health or they won't want to talk to you, and use your mind.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:37 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
In my family, the laid back joker or the one with less stressful life lived ripe into old age. It's not always what you eat. It's how you do with stress. Stress kills.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
In my family, the laid back joker or the one with less stressful life lived ripe into old age. It's not always what you eat. It's how you do with stress. Stress kills.

Stress does kill. However, I honestly do NOT believe that most physicians really take it seriously.

Over the years, I have talked to many cardiac patients and nurses. One of the most heavily represented professions in cardiac rehab are airline pilots. Most of these guys, many former USAF pilots, look like they are in physical shape and in general are very close to the ideal weight. Yet, many of them are having cardiac bypass surgery in their 50s.

In all the medical histories, only one doctor has come out and asked me about my profession. I think that should be the first topic of discussion as it could indicate risk factors that are in the workplace.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:28 PM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
Well I have seasonal stress in my profession so tell will tell its contribution to my fate. I think equally important as the stress is our coping skills of co-existing with it. Could be wrong but this is my hunch.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Well I have seasonal stress in my profession so tell will tell its contribution to my fate. I think equally important as the stress is our coping skills of co-existing with it. Could be wrong but this is my hunch.
That's what I've heard. It's not so much what happens but how you deal with it.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I think job types should definitely be looked at in terms of health, livestyle, longevity. My wife was a nurse. Almost all her classmates and friends that were nurses and are about her age have had some serious health problems. I also liked the comment about prescription drugs. I'll have to do some internet research on that. Because of her allergy problems, my wife has taken a lot of antibiotics over the years to combat the frequent sinus infections she's had over the years. Now she's fighting cancer at 65.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think job types should definitely be looked at in terms of health, livestyle, longevity. My wife was a nurse. Almost all her classmates and friends that were nurses and are about her age have had some serious health problems. I also liked the comment about prescription drugs. I'll have to do some internet research on that. Because of her allergy problems, my wife has taken a lot of antibiotics over the years to combat the frequent sinus infections she's had over the years. Now she's fighting cancer at 65.

Personally, I am surprised that more nurses are not disabled early due to back problems with the amount of lifting associated with the position.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:24 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Some people thrive on stress. It's what keeps them revved and going. They're the same people who think they'll die once they retire. I say find what fuels your own personal engine and stay on track. Don't forget to cheat once in awhile because we're all going to die and what a shame to die with a belly full of tofu and kale.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Yes, creating a Thread about good health and exercise, in a Senior/Retirement forum is ok, but definitely not for everyone.

There are those, like myself, that, due to previous surgeries, just can't do some of the things we use to do. I've had a hip replacement and a rotator cuff surgery on each shoulder. Had a ankle surgery, with a plate and screws put in, in 1988 and now arthritis has set in on that area. I have to see a doctor on a regular basis because I'm a Diabetic II and so is my wife. In fact, my wife would hardly ever see a doctor, until she was diagnosed Diabetic II and now has to take a med for it. We are both somewhat overweight, like 20 pounds. That's not much compared to some folks we've seen our age that are pretty heavy.

We get exercise, but probably not nearly as much as we are told we should. We eat right, well, sort of. We still like our French Fries, burgers, pizza, prime rib steak, spaghetti/meat balls and so on. Also, can't give up our Bud Light just yet. Don't drink much, but do enjoy it. We both will share a shot of 1800 Tequila with a beer, at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement