U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 09:23 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Wondering if anyone of retirement age and older has maintained their good health through a healthy lifestyle? Such as eating a great diet, regular exercise, stress-reduction techniques, maybe some supplements and such?

Maybe free from medications and medical procedures.

Love to hear how you do it and your successful blueprint for a healthy life and good health.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:38 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
While a healthy diet and regular exercise may help, I think good genes are more important. I don't eat any fad foods or exercise much beyond walking the dog and I've never had any health problems. I don't smoke and I rarely drink, which I think make for a healthier person. I've also never had to go to the hospital and I'm not under a doctor's care nor do I take any medications.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
While a healthy diet and regular exercise may help, I think good genes are more important. I don't eat any fad foods or exercise much beyond walking the dog and I've never had any health problems. I don't smoke and I rarely drink, which I think make for a healthier person. I've also never had to go to the hospital and I'm not under a doctor's care nor do I take any medications.
Thanks! And congratulations.

If you don't mind me asking your age?

I read somewhere that health starts going South after age 70. That's when serious health issues arise. Don't know if it's true, but curious.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:49 AM

890 posts, read 676,616 times
I agree genetics is king but the benefits of a healthy lifestyle and fitness are too valuable for me to pass up. So I try to eat as little as possible to be as healthy and strong as I want to be and my exercise as of right now at age 60 can best be describe as cardiovascular-intense.

Case in point is Jack LaLanne. Everyone here knew of him. He lived a long life and his passion for exercise and fitness were legendary. He had a brother who lived longer than him and, according to what I once read, was not the exercise and fitness enthusiast like his brother

Old 01-24-2016, 10:58 AM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littledolphin View Post
thanks! And congratulations.

If you don't mind me asking your age?

I read somewhere that health starts going south after age 70. That's when serious health issues arise. Don't know if it's true, but curious.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:00 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,522,564 times
Not me, but DH went and got himself a job as a park attendant at our local state park. He does mostly hard physical work two days per week.

Since he started, he's lost 20 pounds without really trying. He was able to drop one of his blood pressure medicines. He's noticeably stronger and has more endurance than he did before. He's getting minimum wage, but he figures the park is paying him to work out so he's pleased with that.

He was off for a couple of weeks because he overdid it and strained his back. It was long enough that after his first day back, he came home and told me he felt like someone had beat him up. So, that supports the idea of "use it or lose it".

Old 01-24-2016, 11:17 AM

4,477 posts, read 4,738,767 times
Several threads on the topic if you take the time to do a search.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:52 AM

13,200 posts, read 6,308,074 times
I try to do things that I didn't do before I retire. I lifted a turkey higher several times yesterday, boy it was heavy. I went for a walk in the morning and swim in the afternoon when the weather is nice. I made fresh squeezed orange juice so I can control/exercise my hands better. All these little things I didn't do before. That and taking more vitamins.
My previous neighbors were 94 and 98, she had breast cancer and he had quadratic heart bypass but they were not in a home yet. She told me she took all kinds of vitamins. She looked about 60 when she went outside to sweep the side walk. I'm still go skiing with my daughter on spring break, but only beginner's slope. I give myself an A when I can do 10 successful runs. A C if I only do 6. The key thing is not to give up doing something because you might never get it back.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM

9,418 posts, read 5,238,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Hi!

Wondering if anyone of retirement age and older has maintained their good health through a healthy lifestyle? Such as eating a great diet, regular exercise, stress-reduction techniques, maybe some supplements and such?

Maybe free from medications and medical procedures.

Love to hear how you do it and your successful blueprint for a healthy life and good health.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
I never smoked. Never drank much. I walk a lot and always have since I live in very urban area(I sold my car some time ago). I only take a multiple vitamin every day. I'm on no medication. I rarely get infections of any kind. I have no joint issues. And I do as much as I can to keep my weight under control... That's hard because I love food but I rarely eat desserts.

I have been watching salt intake for years because my family history does include high blood pressure.

Here's the part that is beyond interesting. No one in my family(at least including my grandparents' generation) has had cancer.

I'm 66 and been retired for four years.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:30 PM

9,418 posts, read 5,238,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We're "twins"! I could have written this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement