Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times

Advertisements

Hello, im quite young, and yet quite old.....
reason I said old is....I started out pretty late in life. Received my career at the age of 28. I am also now beginning to save for retirement.

I was wondering what is my best option for retirement

my company offers 401k, I also have a mortgage (if that counts)

on top of that, I was wondering what else I can do. Should I spread my savings and open a separate CD? or IRA and contribute 50 a month on that as well?

Or what other investments should I make? Say I save $5,000, which I know its not a lot in this day of age; but maybe that 5,000 will turn to 8,000 in 5 years somewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 02:55 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
10% a year , at least in the near term may be a bit optimistic with valuations and conditions as they stand .

in my opinion i would project with about 6% for equity's and let anything better be a welcome upside surprise

Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
on top of that, I was wondering what else I can do. Should I spread my savings and open a separate CD? or IRA and contribute 50 a month on that as well?
DH & I contributed faithfully for many years to IRAs. They didn't work out well for us.
The assumption behind them is you're in a higher tax bracket now than you'll be when you retire. Not so for us, we're in a higher tax bracket now than we ever were during our working, child-rearing, and mortgage paying years.
But even if that doesn't hold true for you, can you truthfully look ahead to 2040 and know what the tax brackets will be?

If you invest heavily in an IRA, then when you retire you'll have to look at whatever amount you're accumulated and automatically discount it by 25% or so.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
most folks with normal careers that ramp up in income and brackets spanning decades of time will find their average long term tax bracket is higher in retirement .

the working career average is usually going to be lower since it takes in decades of lower income .

that is because our final lifestyle and income is somewhere closer to our peak earning years which are usually the tail end of our careers .

roths would be the best move

Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
Quote:
reason I said old is....I started out pretty late in life. Received my career at the age of 28. I am also now beginning to save for retirement.

Or what other investments should I make? Say I save $5,000, which I know its not a lot in this day of age; but maybe that 5,000 will turn to 8,000 in 5 years somewhere
Instead of giving you advice, I will congratulate you for being concerned about your future.
Age 28 is a great time to get a jump start on savings and retirement.

Best of luck!

Old 01-25-2016, 05:56 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Try Roth IRA.
No CD's unless they are your emergency fund.
Save 15%

Old 01-25-2016, 06:48 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
If your company matches any on the 401k, take it. Then do a Roth IRA.
Always pay yourself first.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:

You are not too old to start. That is the age I started mine. You are on track. I will add here though, do not save to the exclusion of everything else. Live for today. Save what you can for tomorrow. But do not lose out on living and enjoying life with family.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You are not too old to start. That is the age I started mine. You are on track. I will add here though, do not save to the exclusion of everything else. Live for today. Save what you can for tomorrow. But do not lose out on living and enjoying life with family.
I don't agree, unless you are certain you are not going to get old. Growing old is bad enough, being broke and old is a lot worse.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:37 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
Quote:

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear but I'll toss it into the suggestion hat. Cultivate a joy of living below your means and bank the surplus. That is first up in the batter's box in my opinion. Others here will offer the advice you're seeking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement