U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2016, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Grove City, Ohio
10,133 posts, read 12,383,606 times
Reputation: 13961

Advertisements

For some reason there's a number of infomercials telling senior citizens they can be out big bucks like this one (warning, appears to be an advertisement)

A Money Morning Exclusive

Like this headline

Quote:
When we dug into these banned benefits we uncovered a Social Security filing tactic that had a value of up to $177,000 for eligible recipients.
What besides the filing and suspend tactic is going away?

For the record my wife has her 66th birthday come the end of April and on Friday we have an appointment where I will file and suspend (currently I am 67) so my wife can collect 50% of my FRA benefit. I am going to continue working and not filing until I reach 70 but time will tell. In the meantime she'll be getting a monthly check and I am all for that.

The way I understand it the file and suspend is going away.. after May 2nd you can't do that anymore.

But what other things might we be missing out on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2016, 03:05 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,232 posts, read 8,399,632 times
Reputation: 7186
Lump-sum payout of delayed benefits is one more thing

See Social Security Changes for 2016 | Investopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2016, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,904 posts, read 14,232,069 times
Reputation: 16088
You can go here to see changes and rulings:

https://www.ssa.gov/regulations/

Other Sources For Program Rules Information

On our Program Rules Resources page, we list the various handbooks we have developed for use by the public.
Comment on Developing Rules

You are invited to comment on developing rules before they become final. Please visit the, Regulations.gov, for further information. Included are requests for public comments published in the Federal Register (e.g., requests for comments on proposed changes in our regulatory rules).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 11:07 PM
 
6,647 posts, read 2,442,274 times
Reputation: 4621
Does the monthly SS check ever get smaller? My mother who is retired noticed that her SS check that goes into her account every month is a lot smaller this month. It is usually the same amount every month, but this month she said it's smaller. Maybe, she's confused about the statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 02:22 AM
 
71,535 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Reputation: 49125
if she exceeded certain income levels 2 years back medicare costs can jump . we just got a 300% increase in medicare from 104.50 to 389.50 because in 2014 we were not retired , not on medicare yet and sold an investment .

they go back 2 years because 2015 taxes are not filed .

other then that perhaps if they are withholding taxes that changed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Asheville NC
1,602 posts, read 1,313,371 times
Reputation: 4165
Default We just got

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if she exceeded certain income levels 2 years back medicare costs can jump . we just got a 300% increase in medicare from 104.50 to 389.50 because in 2014 we were not retired , not on medicare yet and sold an investment .

they go back 2 years because 2015 taxes are not filed .

other then that perhaps if they are withholding taxes that changed
Another Medicare Appeal ok'd. They do want a copy of our 2015 taxes when we file. You should have appealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 08:19 AM
 
71,535 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Reputation: 49125
we did , i am waiting to hear back with a date .

it does say on line that selling invested assets at a profit and turning them in to cash or other forms of investment still counts as income and is not grounds for appeal but i will try it anyway . we were not even on medicare in 2014 so that is my gripe .

we sold some commercial lease rights in 2014 and triggered every surcharge but we were not retired yet and not old enough to even be on medicare .

so the appeal is worth the shot .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 AM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,232 posts, read 8,399,632 times
Reputation: 7186
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Does the monthly SS check ever get smaller? My mother who is retired noticed that her SS check that goes into her account every month is a lot smaller this month. It is usually the same amount every month, but this month she said it's smaller. Maybe, she's confused about the statement.

Sometime in January Mom should have received a letter/form/statement from SSA showing the details of how her payment total was computed. It is one of those forms where you tear off the edges to open it, and about 2 feet long when folded out.

Is she having any deductions taken that may have changed ? Premiums for Medicare Part B, or Part C, or Part D maybe ?
Fwiw, my payment went down $29 because of an increase in my Part C premium, with no COLA increase to offset it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,846,832 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we did , i am waiting to hear back with a date .

it does say on line that selling invested assets at a profit and turning them in to cash or other forms of investment still counts as income and is not grounds for appeal but i will try it anyway . we were not even on medicare in 2014 so that is my gripe .

we sold some commercial lease rights in 2014 and triggered every surcharge but we were not retired yet and not old enough to even be on medicare .

so the appeal is worth the shot .
I think you have good grounds. You should prevail on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2016, 12:00 AM
 
6,647 posts, read 2,442,274 times
Reputation: 4621
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Sometime in January Mom should have received a letter/form/statement from SSA showing the details of how her payment total was computed. It is one of those forms where you tear off the edges to open it, and about 2 feet long when folded out.

Is she having any deductions taken that may have changed ? Premiums for Medicare Part B, or Part C, or Part D maybe ?
Fwiw, my payment went down $29 because of an increase in my Part C premium, with no COLA increase to offset it.
I'm going to have to ask her if she received a SSA letter - she wouldn't have thrown it away so it is somewhere if they sent it to her. I don't know about any deductions she took, but I will look at her taxes, too. Maybe, it has to do with Medicare. I will have to get together with her and look through her papers to see if she has that statement and also her taxes. These things are always so complicated. I am relieved to hear that there is some statement that explains everything and if she doesn't have it, I'm going to contact them or go to the office. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top