U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 AM

5,673 posts, read 4,895,222 times

Advertisements

I too am enjoying life being retired and learning volumes on line here and other places .
Alternative medicines are good to get a handle on right now, so that your not hooked into the system and keeping active every day make a big difference.
There is a world of those hung up in their woes ,
and they lead a torturous death.
Ignoring those shmose get some sand tween your toes,
enjoying your life at it's best.

A runner looks at the track ahead ,and where he needs to go, and prepares himself for the turns and hurtles he must face alone, and has his eyes on the prize ,not what he leaves behind ,till the race is over.

Now that you have the time to stop and smell the roses,
Stop and smell the roses. stare at the clouds. paint .draw ,even if your no good at it, Van Goh wasn't all that good. really.
If your inclined and have family , do a journal of your life that can be passed down to them to know where they came from, it's more important than you might think. Both for you and them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,023,484 times
I'll have what LittleDolphin is having. . . . and make mine a double!

I'm retiring end-of-March. Can't wait.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
Different "kinds" of personalities do better than others in aging. The secret to contentment, I think, is the ability to relax, deeply. Those who were laid back throughout life tend to continue that attribute in old age. They take life like waves rolling over them, few things ruffle their feathers and they stay even and calm. Some, like me, are more sparked by things that happen and by thoughts to the point of unrest. Forthis type too it's probably lifelong and so in retirement reflects a mixed bag of emotion.

There are things in my retired life that I love and can finally focus on, like the class I teach and being with my grandkids; there are others that edge me off the total contentment scale. I think it's a matter of consciously choosing and practicing the art of relaxation, and coming from my upbringing, life experiences, and workplace settings (always on high alert), I have to work at it.

That said I have today to do as I please, the sun is shining and it's warmer (not a single scrap of snow anywhere, dry roads, and no icicles this year), and I'm going to a concert this evening. I have moderate health and a warm home and good food and the twins are staying overnight this weekend. For my personality, it's as good as it gets.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
P.S. Little Dolphin, you are an inspiration.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,666,859 times
Health-wise, that could be very true! You might get lucky though and not get any health problems, but the possibility of that happening is fairly low. Retiree's that have health issues have to sit at home and watch tv more than they like to, but............

Another thing is finances. A lot of retiree's who have a good time during retirement have the finances to have that "good time", while others don't. One "normal" thing that society thinks new retiree's would do is, have an motorhome and travel the U.S. seeing family, friends and have a great time touring places. Unfortunately, many retiree's can't financially do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Come back 10 years from now and tell us how you feel.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:35 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,879,241 times
Your comments have been fine and interesting. Growing older seems easier than being an adolescent was for me! Glad I'm not weird.

For those who touched on living in the moment...you're right. I've found that to be key. Remorse can be a killer. Sure, there are things I "could of or should have" but right now what I have is the present...and it is a present or gift.

We don't have a pile of money, we live simply and keep out of debt, we do our best to eat well and stay healthy, we plan little adventures, cultivate and love our friends, keep our minds and bodies active, and go to nature as often as we can and breathe deeply. Ocean and forest are so healing.

A book that changed my life for the better was Tolle's The Power of Now. It helped me move forward and let go of past regrets, anger... taught me to be much less reactive when life throws me a curve ball.

And for those of you who do yoga, you know how it can change your life. I went to a new class last night and was so happy to see more men there...and they were good at the poses. Yoga for everyone! Then I came home and slept like a baby...

Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 AM

1,202 posts, read 684,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Yay for you, LittleDolphin.

i before e,
Except after c,
Or when sounded as "aa"
As in neighbor and weigh,
Or when sounded as "ee"
As in leisure and weird,
Or when sounded as "ii"
As in either or height.

oops guess I forgot about rest of the saying. Think it is a retiree thing, lots of things are not as important as they used to be.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:23 AM

12,784 posts, read 14,120,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Different "kinds" of personalities do better than others in aging. The secret to contentment, I think, is the ability to relax, deeply. Those who were laid back throughout life tend to continue that attribute in old age. ....

I think it's a matter of consciously choosing and practicing the art of relaxation, and coming from my upbringing, life experiences, and workplace settings (always on high alert), I have to work at it....
I tend to agree, and like you I realized finally back in the late 80's that I was the type of person that was going to work at discovering contentment, otherwise I was very unlikely to experience much of it. I needed to make the choice to work at it as well.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:04 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,879,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I tend to agree, and like you I realized finally back in the late 80's that I was the type of person that was going to work at discovering contentment, otherwise I was very unlikely to experience much of it. I needed to make the choice to work at it as well.
Sometimes a curious and probing mind leads us down the mysterious path to peace of mind. For me, too, it was/is a journey that holds much promise...and life seems to improve all the time as my contentment grows.

Where I once had anger/resentment, I now have understanding and peace. Even joy.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:25 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,084,160 times
It's the best time of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or