U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:43 AM

13,914 posts, read 7,411,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
+1
In what universe is Arkansas "back east"? It's flyover country west of the Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 07:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,791,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Hard to imagine a college town that wouldn't be fairly progressive. As opposed to a regressive college town???????
That's what you would think, right? And yet sometimes I wonder. What we used to think of as "liberal" might now be nothing more than a bunch of "politically correct" idiots run amok. For example, consider the Missouri college professor who was trying to shut down free speech with "muscle" during a student protest. Multiply her by 60,000. Would you want to live anywhere near the place?

Old 01-30-2016, 08:23 AM

12,700 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
This seems to be the holy grail. I don't think they are so so hard to find but they tend to be in the north whereas this is the retirement forum and many people would like to get a little further south. Not necessarily FL south but at least out of the extreme northern tier.

I've seen Ithaca on a lot of lists.
I went to Syracuse University and went down to Ithaca a number of times. I liked the town, and over the years it seems to have become even better. It is one of the few places that sorely tempted me, but having grown up in the NE I was not in the mood for more snow and cold winters.

Still looks lovely though.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:46 AM

5,195 posts, read 670,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
On second thought, check into Northampton, Mass., home of Smith College. Definitely progressive, arts-oriented, about 20 min from Amherst. It has more to do year-round.

This would have been my #1 suggestion except that it's not near any water.

If you really want to head back to the northeast for retirement why not consider Buffalo or Rochester?

Taxes aside, Buffalo appears to be an up and coming retirement spot: Buffalo’s retired boomers already know this is a great place - City & Region - The Buffalo News

I'm from the Buffalo area and lived in Rochester for 14 years after I graduated college, and I can attest that both would have what you are looking for. Real estate would be cheaper than anything in New England, especially in Buffalo, and you get a full half hour more of daylight at the end of the day (important in winter) The sunsets on Lake Erie are spectacular and rival that of any exotic coastline. Buffalo is only 3 hrs. away from Toronto so if you're craving a major metro fix you've got it!

While Rochester proper is not directly on Lake Ontario it does have a few suburbs (Charlotte, Irondequoit, North Greece, Webster) that border the lake. The biggest drawback is, of course, the weather, but if you're considering the Northern Atlantic coast it wouldn't be much different. Besides, Upstate NY has snow removal down to a science!

Both are big college towns with highly regarded med schools. Both are near "grapebelt" regions (Chautauqua County and the Finger Lakes) and beautiful state parks so there is lots to see and explore from both vantage points.

In terms of being "liberal"--I'm fairly liberal/progressive and wouldn't hesitate to move back if I could. IMO Western New York is the great hidden gem of the Northeast

As you are looking for a "smaller city" I'm adding Ithaca, NY--population just over 30,000, home to Ithaca College and Cornell University (a major med school)--and it sits at the mouth of Cayuga Lake. This just might be the ideal "hip" but bucolic setting you're looking for......

Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County | Visit Ithaca, NY
Ithaca, NY - Official Website | Official Website
12 Reasons Why Ithaca, New York Is The Best College Town In America - Business Insider

Last edited by Daisy Grey; 01-30-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 AM

10,522 posts, read 8,765,146 times
OP, you have just described high tax, high-housing price paradise.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM

10,308 posts, read 11,225,495 times
Before I saw Post # 2 I immediately thought of Burlington. Ithaca and, if you want to stretch the definition of "east" a bit, Ann Arbor, although it's a bigger city.

Chapel Hill might be another possibility. Almost exactly 60,000, not far from Jordan Lake. Plus, as we told one of my brothers when he moved down there, you know what they say about North Carolina: not quite as bad as South Carolina.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:17 AM

3,859 posts, read 6,873,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In what universe is Arkansas "back east"? It's flyover country west of the Mississippi.
To Las Vegans, " back east" encompasses a lot of the United States.

I would +2 Fayetteville. There is also a great small airport in NWA that helps if you have a travel bug in retirement.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:56 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
That's what you would think, right? And yet sometimes I wonder. What we used to think of as "liberal" might now be nothing more than a bunch of "politically correct" idiots run amok. For example, consider the Missouri college professor who was trying to shut down free speech with "muscle" during a student protest. Multiply her by 60,000. Would you want to live anywhere near the place?

It's all relative to what a person considers progressive.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 581,532 times
How about Evanston, IL? It is a progressive city, home of Northwestern U, it is right on Lake Michigan, just north of Chicago. As for wildlife, the Cook and DuPage County Forest Preserves are abundant and beautiful. As for wildlife in your back yard, you will have rabbits and skunks, and possibly an occassional coyote wandering through.

How about Appleton, WI, home of Lawrence University? Also near Lake Michigan.

How about Madison, WI.? A beautiful, progressive city, on a beautiful lake, with others nearby. Good luck!!

Old 01-30-2016, 11:59 AM

14,035 posts, read 20,355,620 times
I would combine the location(s) of your family with https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...0.711863,5.54z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or