U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:12 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Hard to imagine a college town that wouldn't be fairly progressive. As opposed to a regressive college town???????
Colleges and towns are not always both progressive. Amherst College, for ex, is largely conservative. They are JUST NOW getting rid of a longstanding embarrassing mascot, for whom the town is actually named, after extensive student protest and debate. The town itself, made up of largely highly educated (and more well to do) residents, is more progressive/politically left. Other college towns are conservative whereas their college is more liberal. Universities tend to be more liberal than private colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 03:18 PM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
How about Evanston, IL? It is a progressive city, home of Northwestern U, it is right on Lake Michigan, just north of Chicago. As for wildlife, the Cook and DuPage County Forest Preserves are abundant and beautiful. As for wildlife in your back yard, you will have rabbits and skunks, and possibly an occassional coyote wandering through.

How about Appleton, WI, home of Lawrence University? Also near Lake Michigan.

How about Madison, WI.? A beautiful, progressive city, on a beautiful lake, with others nearby. Good luck!!
Madison's population is 250K - and the greater Madison area population is over 600K

Old 01-30-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
If you really want to head back to the northeast for retirement why not consider Buffalo or Rochester?
No way! in my opinion. Large and largely ugly NY cities, high taxes, and COLD/SNOW. One of my students' husband got a transfer to Rochester and immediately retired rather than move there. Sorry, I would not urge anyone to live there though like in all large cities there's some things to recommend them,.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaran View Post
My husband and I are retired health care providers. We are looking to move to a progressive small city (under 60,000 if possible) and probably would prefer a college town. I would like water nearby. Would like to move back east from Las Vegas because of family. I miss having wild life here in Las Vegas (except for the human wild life!) so I would greatly favor a more natural setting where there is animal wild life. Health care facilities would also be important. We would like to have near-by resources. Anybody else in this process?
What kind of water—ocean, lake, streams...? Western Mass, the Five College area I mentioned, is near beautiful lakes, rivers and streams. Ocean is 90 min to the east.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:36 PM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Plenty of UW Extension campuses throughout Wisconsin.

https://www.wisconsin.edu/campuses/#uwco

I would imagine other states will have the same setup - major campus in large city with satellite campuses throughout the state and closer to wilderness.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:45 PM

746 posts, read 483,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In what universe is Arkansas "back east"? It's flyover country west of the Mississippi.
It would be called "back east" if you live in Arizona. I remember when I first moved here, people would say I was from 'back east" and I would laugh. Now, I say it too...I'm from Michigan.

O.P. do you mean back east of the mississippi, or the east coast in particular?

Old 01-30-2016, 04:04 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaran View Post
My husband and I are retired health care providers. We are looking to move to a progressive small city (under 60,000 if possible) and probably would prefer a college town. I would like water nearby. Would like to move back east from Las Vegas because of family. I miss having wild life here in Las Vegas (except for the human wild life!) so I would greatly favor a more natural setting where there is animal wild life. Health care facilities would also be important. We would like to have near-by resources. Anybody else in this process?
What kind of annual budget do you have in mind - especially for housing? Quite a few college towns aren't cheap or an especially good value - because there is so much competition from students and/or university affiliated people - especially in terms of housing. Note that I am familiar with Ithaca (went to school there) - Madison and Ann Arbor (have family in both places) - and Gainesville and Tallahassee as well (both are somewhat close to where I live - and I have been to both often). Three are very cold in the winter - and the last 2 have northern Florida weather. Austin (which used to be nice relatively affordable place) is perhaps one of the better examples of a college town run amok these days. What are you looking for?

FWIW - I agree with a poster up thread who said your nostalgia for a "progressive" town may be somewhat misplaced - unless the ideas some universities had about what was ok/not ok this past holiday season are your idea of progressive:

http://http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7056

The rules at Cornell were particularly ridiculous IMO:

Cornell

What are you looking to get out of a college town? Note that senior programs like OLLI can be found in many places. My father goes to OLLI courses here at the University of North Florida (it's a very large program - but we are hardly a "college town").

https://www.unf.edu/ce/olli/

I would also be concerned about medical resources in the kind of small town you're talking about. For example - Cornell has a medical school and affiliated medical facilities - but it's in Manhattan - not anywhere near Ithaca.

And "back east" is a pretty large place. I live right near the Atlantic Ocean - so that is definitely "east". But we're pretty far away from Vermont . Robyn

Old 01-30-2016, 04:27 PM

996 posts, read 863,490 times
Newark, Delaware (University of Delaware), or West Chester, Pennsylvania (West Chester University). They're about 45 minutes apart, and both are exurbs of Philadelphia. Similar climates with four distinct seasons.

Newark is 90 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean beaches of Delaware and a little farther from the New Jersey beaches. West Chester is 2 hours+ from either. It is within an hour or two of the Poconos, which have lots of lakes.

West Chester is often described as "charming" and "quaint." Newark, not so much, although there are lovely sections. UD is a larger school, so offers more to the community in the way of arts and culture.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post

As you are looking for a "smaller city" I'm adding Ithaca, NY--population just over 30,000, home to Ithaca College and Cornell University (a major med school)--and it sits at the mouth of Cayuga Lake. This just might be the ideal "hip" but bucolic setting you're looking for......
Like I said - Cornell Medical school is in Manhattan - about 250 miles from Ithaca - not exactly around the corner. I didn't enjoy living in Ithaca for 4 years when I was young. Because it was too isolated and too cold. There's an old saying that Ithaca is centrally located in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I'd like it any better close to 50 years later. Because I still don't like being in the middle of nowhere - don't like the cold one bit more - and need more in the way of medical facilities.

FWIW - when you start to drill into some of these places - you will find that there is a pretty big "town and gown" divide. In terms of economics - political beliefs - lifestyles - etc. I've observed this in a place like the Ann Arbor area. Twenty five minutes outside of Ann Arbor you're in areas with lower middle/middle class pretty religious people who hunt and love their guns and reject the notion of curtailing their right to ride snowmobiles due to environmental (or any other) considerations. People like my in-laws. They are even more conservative than we are - and we are pretty conservative (even though my BIL's wife works at the University of Michigan). "Deerhunter" types. There are probably more KKK people in these areas than you'll find in the south these days. The situation used to be similar near Ithaca - but I haven't been back in years - and don't know what the story is today.

When it comes to a place like Madison - apart from being really cold - the nice areas are pricey these days. One of my cousins and his wife work at the University of Wisconsin. The nice but relatively modest lakefront house they bought for < $200k perhaps 30 years now is worth perhaps $750k or more today. Don't know what the "town and gown" situation is like there - but I suspect it is similar to the Ann Arbor area.

I know that more and more college towns are setting up university affiliated retirement places these days. The University of Florida (Gainesville) has a place like that. But they are pretty much senior independent living units (with perhaps some ALF or SNF care) - not single family houses. And who wants to live in a place like that where you're the only person who didn't go to the local school and really doesn't care how the college football team is doing? Robyn

Old 01-30-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Newark, Delaware (University of Delaware), or West Chester, Pennsylvania (West Chester University). They're about 45 minutes apart, and both are exurbs of Philadelphia. Similar climates with four distinct seasons.

Newark is 90 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean beaches of Delaware and a little farther from the New Jersey beaches. West Chester is 2 hours+ from either. It is within an hour or two of the Poconos, which have lots of lakes.

West Chester is often described as "charming" and "quaint." Newark, not so much, although there are lovely sections. UD is a larger school, so offers more to the community in the way of arts and culture.
I think most people - especially seniors - should rule out places where things they want/need on a regular basis are more than an hour away. Because - the older you are - the less likely you are to care to drive even 30 minutes to get to things. Especially at night - and especially in heavy traffic. Then again - the OP didn't say how old she and her husband are. 52 or 62 or 72 or older. Makes a difference. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or