U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:57 AM

28,215 posts, read 47,628,039 times

Advertisements

Cookeville Tennessee

City of Cookeville, Tennessee

Jobs in Cookeville, TN - Search Cookeville Job Listings | Monster

https://www.tntech.edu/

Cookeville Regional Medical Center | Hospital, Health Care | Cookeville, TN

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-03-2016 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:45 AM

13,931 posts, read 7,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You don't get around much, do you? There's a whole world out there for you to discover.
I get around plenty. I do 50,000+ miles of business travel most years. ...and Arkansas is flyover country west of the Mississippi.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
I think we lost the OP.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:55 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,667,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
So Cookeville is somewhat progressive? The OP asked about water/wildlife. I don't see any state/nationl forest nearby. And, for new retirees with no relatives in the area, are there other new people (over 50) that will be open to new friendships?

Last edited by Yac; 02-03-2016 at 06:59 AM..

Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
It doesn't get much more progressive than Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC and the cost of living comparatively speaking to similar towns in the Northeast is a steal. The weather is much milder, it has great health care options (UNC and Duke) and the intellectual aspect desired by the OP seemingly.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:09 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,667,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Hard to imagine a college town that wouldn't be fairly progressive. As opposed to a regressive college town???????
And yet I never see towns in the south (outside the popular retiree Carolina's) mentioned. Are there progressive small colleges in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Texas? You would think but Austin is a big city and that's the only place I can think of.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I dunno, we'll both be 70 this year and we regularly drive two hours to a beach in Delaware. We certainly drive two hours for other things to do, like a show or concert (as part of an overnight trip).
I was talking about things you do/have to do/want to do on a regular basis. We sometimes travel halfway around the world to - for example - eat great Japanese food. But - if I wanted excellent Japanese food on a regular basis - where I live would be a very bad place to live . Also - if a beach is important to someone - it shouldn't be 2 hours away. Note that I live 5 minutes (2 miles) away from the ocean. I used to like the beach. But pretty much stay away from it these days because of skin cancers. Robyn

Old 01-31-2016, 07:46 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
LU is a fake college. So, does not count.
???

Liberty University is a real school. Its golf team - https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index...0854&TeamID=10 - is in town this weekend to play in a large collegiate golf tournament. Saw the players out practicing yesterday. They didn't look fake to me . Robyn

Old 01-31-2016, 03:29 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,560,066 times
It's not population 60,000 but I'd suggest Pittsburgh, PA. It has six universities and a community college system within the city limits, many of which are welcoming to retirees auditing classes when they are not at peak enrollment and attending all manner of activities, including lectures, seminars, poetry and prose readings, plays (Carnegie-Mellon has a famous theater department), and needless to say sports. The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute is active at both Pitt and CMU.

Other cultural amenities abound thanks to MANY museums ranging from natural history to space science to art. Speaking of art, an incredible arts community including visual artists, musicians, theater artists, and writers (I'd bet on more published authors per capita outside of maybe DC). There are several contemporary arts organizations such as The Mattress Factory where the public can interact with cutting edge artists.
Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council
Trust Arts | The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust

Pittsburgh also has world-class health facilities (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center pioneered transplant surgery) and for orthopedic issues the most innovative sports medicine facility in the nation, led by pioneering Dr. Freddie Fu.
Pittsburgh Hospitals & Healthcare | Moving to Pittsburgh PA

Also directly related to your wish list:
Water - Three rivers, clean and beautiful. Boating of every type. A 13-mile riverfront park system features walking trails and bike paths and recently even featured a detour around a nest hatching baby bald eagles.
http://www.riverlifepgh.org/riverfront-projects/

Wild Life
- If you lived in a close-in suburb you could have deer and other wildlife in your yard. Pittsburgh is surrounded by forests and hills. The city is super-green with many huge parks and such an active chapter of the Nature Conservancy the national organization has a satellite office there.
Citiparks | Welcome
There is also a well-respected zoo and The National Aviary, associated with the Smithsonian, is located on Pittsburgh's North Side.

Progressive Politics - Pittsburgh has a Democratic mayor and majority city council. A national study done by some academic political scientists rated Pittsburgh the 19th most liberal city in the nation, describing it as a "dark blue spot in a purple state." Racial minorities are represented in city council, the LGBT community is an important part of the city, and all religions seem to be represented and respected. Of course, Pittsburgh has a long history of union activism. But even Republicans are welcome. The recently deceased Elsie Hillman was a nationally famous GOP stalwart, beloved in Pittsburgh for her philanthropic activities.

You didn't mention housing. Whether you're interested in a river-view condominium in the city, a historic home that you could rehab or has already been modernized, a warehouse loft, or a typical suburban house, Pittsburgh has among the most affordable housing in the U.S. Northeast. But it's not because the housing market is depressed. Since 2000, home values in Pittsburgh have increased an average of 4% per year.

My personal reasons to love Pittsburgh:
The Phipps Conservatory
The Pittsburgh Steelers and the Pittsburgh Pirates and their nationally recognized facilities
The world-class Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
Pittsburgh Ballet Theater
The Strip District for amazing food shopping
Live theater from experimental to Shakespeare to Broadway touring companies
The innovative Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theatre
The city's ethnic pride
Free concerts galore all over the city and a wide range of national musical acts visiting the city
Neighborhood festivals on-going all summer
You can easily drive to DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, Toronto, and Cleveland for weekend excursions
Pittsburgh's best-kept secret: the active and enthusiastic blues scene highlighted by the annual summer Blues Festival

If you really are dedicated to small-town living and would reject living in an urban area, some towns within a short drive of downtown Pittsburgh have old-fashioned main streets and enough amenities you would never have to leave unless you wanted to take advantage of some of the city's culture. Check out Mt. Lebanon, Aspinwall, Oakmont, Brentwood, and Sewickley. Tons of nice houses, trees everywhere, close to the rivers, and great walk-rates in each.

Pittsburgh is on the list of Best Places to Retire created by Forbes, Kiplinger, Money.com, WalletHub, BankRate, Yahoo Finance, ABC News, Movoto, Huffington Post, and AARP.

More info:
Pittsburgh City Living - Top Ten

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 01-31-2016 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 01-31-2016, 03:43 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,560,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
???

Liberty University is a real school. Its golf team - https://www.liberty.edu/flames/index...0854&TeamID=10 - is in town this weekend to play in a large collegiate golf tournament. Saw the players out practicing yesterday. They didn't look fake to me . Robyn
He's talking about the education. Liberty is known more as a training center for evangelicals and ultra-conservatives than a university teaching a broad range of serious academic topics. For example, its law school is known for training lawyers well-equipped to sue on behalf of conservatives who feel victimized and turn our government into a theocracy. Golfing has nothing to do with university life other than as an extracurricular activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or