U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:07 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,545,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
And yet I never see towns in the south (outside the popular retiree Carolina's) mentioned. Are there progressive small colleges in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Texas? You would think but Austin is a big city and that's the only place I can think of.
Oxford, Mississippi, long-time home of William Faulkner, strikes me as the liberal heartbeat of Mississippi. It probably has more educated people per capita than anywhere in the state and it's a charming place. But Ole Miss is still by many accounts a conservative university and I've heard that LGBT people don't feel comfortable there.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/21/tr...miss.html?_r=0

Although it's not known as a "college town," you couldn't possibly think of New Orleans as conservative, could you? Yes, it's in a conservative state with a governor who represses women and doesn't care if the citizens have health care. But the city itself has a Democratic mayor, is as socially liberal as they come, and has many charming and beautiful neighborhoods. I've known several quite liberal people who have been very happy at Tulane, University, which is in the city.

Athens, Georgia, home of the University of Georgia, is about as hip as college towns come. Music, art, other cultural amenities, and sports abound. I don't know how you could classify a town that spawned Michael Stipe and the band R.E.M. as conservative.
Athens Tourism: Best of Athens, GA - TripAdvisor

There are three liberal arts colleges in Macon, Georgia, another historic and charming southern town. It also has a very active Unitarian Universalist church, usually a sign that broadminded, liberal people are within sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 07:17 PM
46H

965 posts, read 584,909 times
Greenville, NC, about 90K population, 175k in the metro area
East Carolina Univ, Brody School of Medicine attached to Vidant Medical Center - only level 1 trauma center east of Raleigh.
80 miles SE to Atlantic Beach, NC, on the Atlantic, 45 miles SE to New Bern where the Neuse River widens.
No idea about the progressiveness.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:32 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So Cookeville is somewhat progressive? The OP asked about water/wildlife. I don't see any state/nationl forest nearby. And, for new retirees with no relatives in the area, are there other new people (over 50) that will be open to new friendships?

Cookeville is a college town, home of the Tennessee Technical University. It is one of the more progressive towns in the region.

As for state parks, these parks are a short drive away.

Cummins Falls State Park — Tennessee State Parks
Standing Stone State Park — Tennessee State Parks
Burgess Falls State Park — Tennessee State Parks
Fall Creek Falls State Park — Tennessee State Parks
Rock Island State Park — Tennessee State Parks

On the national forests and parks, you have the following options:

Daniel Boone National Forest - Districts
USDA Forest Service - SOPA - Cherokee National Forest
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I went down to Cookeville, TN in October 2013 as it was at the top of my list of potential retirement locations. The reasons: good climate, lower taxes, local university, nearby hiking locations.

I was down there for three days and I met a good number of people from Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana who were looking at Cookeville as a retirement location. I am not sure that there are any large retirement communities in that area but it is an area drawing a lot of retirees.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM

28,205 posts, read 47,602,006 times
Thanks for more information on Cookeville.

Crossville is real big when comes to retirees.

Crossville Chamber

Retire in Crossville, Tennessee

Best Places To Retire In Tennessee - Crosssville

Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I get around plenty. I do 50,000+ miles of business travel most years. ...and Arkansas is flyover country west of the Mississippi.
Miles, schmiles. Check back in here after you retire. There's a whole new world waiting for you! DH & I racked up mega air schmiles while working. Since retiring our two favorite places are in NM and AR, neither of which were remotely on our radar pre-retirement.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:30 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
He's talking about the education. Liberty is known more as a training center for evangelicals and ultra-conservatives than a university teaching a broad range of serious academic topics. For example, its law school is known for training lawyers well-equipped to sue on behalf of conservatives who feel victimized and turn our government into a theocracy. Golfing has nothing to do with university life other than as an extracurricular activity.
Lots of so-called "progressive schools" have some pretty stupid courses IMO. OTOH - teaching future lawyers about the first amendment - which has 2 clauses about religion - the "Establishment Clause" and the "Free Exercise" clause - is hardly controversial. FWIW - here's a very brief summary of these clauses for anyone who is interested:

First Amendment and Religion | United States Courts

Litigating on behalf of first amendment religious rights is a pretty hot legal area these days:

Meet the Becket Fund Lawyers Redefining Religious Liberty

And the hottest legal organization in the area is the Becket Fund. Whose staff contains lawyers educated at such bastions of conservatism as Harvard - the University of Chicago and Princeton .

Our Staff - Becket Fund

The Harvard Law School magazine had a recent article that profiled the Harvard lawyers working at the Becket Fund:

Keeping FAITH

I realize there are people around who are actively hostile to any and all religions - regardless of the specific issue which is being considered. Especially on many college campuses these days. I am not one of those people. Nor would I want to live in a small town (and 60,000 people is a small town IMO) where diversity of reasonable thoughts and beliefs isn't tolerated. Robyn

Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
LU is a fake college. So, does not count.
No way, I paid nearly $50 for my PhD there, how can it be fake?

Old 02-01-2016, 04:52 PM

10,509 posts, read 8,425,023 times
Berea, Kentucky, home of Berea College and the Arts and Crafts Capitol of Kentucky. The Kentucky River borders Madison County; Laurel Lake and Lake Cumberland are about an hour away. Mountains to the south and east of town; Lexington 45 miles up I-75. Also a center for traditional music and dance - see Christmas Country Dance School videos on YouTube.

Conway, Arkansas, home of Hendrix College (and other colleges). Lake Conway borders town; Little Rock is about 35 miles south. Petit Jean Mountain (very scenic, historic state resort park, home to WinRock, waterfalls, overlooks, rock formations, forests) is about an hour north of Conway.

Liberty University, while not my own cup of tea, is fully accredited. Lynchburg, VA is a very nice town and is close to the Blue Ridge Mountains, a large recreational lake, and many historic attractions.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:44 PM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,853,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Depending on how far east and north you're thinking, I would highly - VERY highly - recommend Stevens Point, Wisconsin. If you like the outdoors, water, abundant natural resources, and a progressive cultural personality, it may be the perfect place for you. Last time I checked, their college has the largest school of natural resources in the country, and the surrounding area is sometimes stunningly beautiful and with a very strong arts community. Given what you say you're looking for, I would not make my decision without including Point in my research.
And there's also Point Beer.....

Beyond The Pale | Stevens Point Brewery | BeerAdvocate

Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 PM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,853,807 times
You want a non-progressive college town?

Provo, Utah - home of BYU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or