U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 5,485 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired health care providers. We are looking to move to a progressive small city (under 60,000 if possible) and probably would prefer a college town. I would like water nearby. Would like to move back east from Las Vegas because of family. I miss having wild life here in Las Vegas (except for the human wild life!) so I would greatly favor a more natural setting where there is animal wild life. Health care facilities would also be important. We would like to have near-by resources. Anybody else in this process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 05:28 PM

536 posts, read 631,536 times
Burlington, VT perhaps? I am just someone looking at places, too, so I don't live there...but I know people who do. It's around 60,000 people and there are lots of semi-rural places around. It's better connected by air and rail to places outside Vermont too. COL is rather high for me, though. Otherwise it looks like a nifty place--flagship uni, good medical care, progressive politics, strong communities.

Edited to add: It's on Lake Champlain

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 01-29-2016 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 PM

14,025 posts, read 20,336,588 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterville,_Maine - home of Colby

Old 01-29-2016, 09:33 PM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
I went to UVM and I'm in Burlington quite a bit. The winter with the constant breeze off the lake can be a bit oppressive. The Act 68 state school property tax makes for very high property taxes unless you're low enough income to be means tested out of it. Social Security is taxed in their state income tax. Housing costs are fairly high. The airport is barely adequate. It otherwise meets the criteria. Fletcher-Allen and the UVM Medical School are the only decent medical facility in the state. Lake Champlain is big enough that the boating is pretty good though the wind is pretty spotty for sailing. You have a real city in Montreal less than 2 hours away. Chittenden County is very overbuilt by Vermont standards but you're at least "close" to Vermont.

I've lived in Portsmouth, NH. You have UNH next door in Durham. The local medical facilities are adequate and you have world class an hour away in Boston. Housing costs are extremely high in Portsmouth but drop as you head inland. There's hourly bus service to Boston/Logan with lots of parking at the bus terminal. If you can afford to buy into the housing market, it's worth a hard look. I left when I ran the numbers and figured out that I couldn't afford to tie up that much of my net worth in real estate when I'm retired.

It's tough to match 60,000, college town, progressive, and near water.

Portland, Maine. It's not a college town but it's a nice place with a pulse.

My future retirement house is in South Dartmouth, Ma. UMass Dartmouth is there but it's not a progressive college town vibe. It has a mall and all the big box stores. New Bedford next door would take an open mind to deal with the failed city problems but has a lot going on. I grew up with it and like the whole Portuguese/Azores Islands ethnic culture and can overlook the third world issues. It has a very vibrant music/art scene. Very good sailing which is what pulled me back after all those years away. Housing prices are reasonable by New England coastal standards. World class medical is an hour away in Boston. Providence is 30 minutes.

Most of eastern Massachusetts is overwhelmed by metro-Boston.

Bristol, RI with Roger Williams is smaller than you're looking for but Providence is 15 miles away. Newport has Salve Regina but it has a tourist town vibe. Over by URI is cute little villages like Wickford. Anywhere in Rhode Island, Providence is going to be your main cultural center. I'd start with Bristol.

By national standards, anywhere in New England is going to be progressive.

Not on the ocean and a bit smaller but the upper Connecticut River valley around Dartmouth College is worth considering. Ditto places like Northampton, Mass with all the colleges around there. They don't have the same "nearby resources" but they're high quality of life places.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:03 AM

7,979 posts, read 11,657,672 times
This seems to be the holy grail. I don't think they are so so hard to find but they tend to be in the north whereas this is the retirement forum and many people would like to get a little further south. Not necessarily FL south but at least out of the extreme northern tier.

I've seen Ithaca on a lot of lists.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 AM

2,534 posts, read 1,825,288 times
Fayetteville, Arkansas.
University of Arkansas.
Beaver Lake.
White River.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Perhaps the most progressive/iiberal college town in New England (town, not necessarily campus) is Amherst, Mass., home of the prestigious Amherst College and also to UMass-Amherst. Not far from Smith College and Mount Holyoke College. There is a conservative element in most New England towns, but the lifestyle and town politics is generally liberal. The scenic beauty is wonderful and it's 90 minutes to the coast and not far from NYC. Lots to do for seniors, and upscale active retirement communities. If you can tolerate northern winters, check it out.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:32 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
On second thought, check into Northampton, Mass., home of Smith College. Definitely progressive, arts-oriented, about 20 min from Amherst. It has more to do year-round.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:34 AM

4,480 posts, read 4,741,265 times
Hard to imagine a college town that wouldn't be fairly progressive. As opposed to a regressive college town???????

Old 01-30-2016, 07:32 AM

10,813 posts, read 8,059,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampatom View Post
fayetteville, arkansas.
University of arkansas.
Beaver lake.
White river.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or