U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 01:41 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,807,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyiscoldaf View Post
I definitely do feel sympathy for those who truly cannot afford to retire, but I do not feel sympathy for people that step beyond their means and spend so much $ on unnecessary things.. For example, the line at almost every single Starbucks I see is ridiculous. Yes, I know that a great cup of coffee can make people happy, but I don't think they realize that going to Starbucks almost every weekday for a month is almost $80 a month.. It's the little things that people do that kill their budget.

I also think it's crazy how I see so many brand new cars on the street despite the fact that I live in a middle class neighborhood. I'm sure most people are just constantly leasing new cars or taking out loans for new cars which is a huge money burner in my opinion. To be honest, I still have the same car my dad bought me since I was 16. I just got an extended warranty and found a reputable but affordable repair shop that specializes for my vehicle make and I saved so much money.

People should honestly start saving for retirement as soon as they get their first full time job because our country doesn't allow for an easy retirement. I started when I was 22 after I got my first job out of college. I cooked meals at home, slightly downgraded my apartment to save on rent, and skipped the trivial things like new phones, going out for coffee, etc

It's the little things people could do to try to save up for retirement
I wonder if the people at Starbucks are aware that their brand has come to be the stand in for "little luxury that people should give up in order to save more if they were more virtuous". Any internet discussion about saving money and sooner rather than later, this one company and their product is always mentioned. They should incorporate that into their marketing somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 01:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,378,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
If "The Market" had it's way, it would pay you $2 an hour or less just as it does illegal immigrants, since they don't have the option of complaining to the government about unfair labor practices or overtime violations. It would ship in H1B employees from india and Pakistan over hiring US citizens for everything it possibly could. It would pay you entirely in "company credits" that are only good for buying material at "company stores" at laughably inflated prices. These are all things that have happened, are happening, or barely kept in check by government regulation.

"The Market" being unable to regulate itself is why we have child labor laws, OSHA, overtime laws and 40 hour workweeks (except exempt employees), and discrimination laws to prevent racial, gender based, and age based hiring and compensation.

Why you would think the market is any better at setting a fair wage than it is at not sending 5 year olds to get mangled in factories is beyond me.
I couldn't rep you again. Excellent post.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So I am one of THOSE people. The minimum wage is an entry level wage for teenagers. If you're a family person or an older person making minimum wage then you are an underachiever. Why should society prop you up because you choose to not make yourself more valuable than the minimum wage? I had minimum wage jobs in high school and college. But I progressed past that point, as do most people. If you look at everyone who had a minimum wage job five years ago and again today, you'd find most people that had one five years ago are making more today. Very few people are still making minimum wage after five years. If you'd talk to a real economist, and not a political hack with an agenda, you'd find that the minimum wage does more harm than good.
That's a myth perpetuated by the Right to justify preying on people. In many parts of the country, especially rural areas, even in Alaska, minimum wage jobs are the only jobs available.

Quote:
I don't live in a fantasy world. I live in a world that I worked hard for and prepared for all during my working career.
A typical answer from someone too arrogant to realize exactly how lucky he has been not to be struck by some medical disaster or other financial drain. What if one of your children was born with severe medical problems that weren't covered by insurance? What if you or your spouse developed early on-set dementia? What if you were hit head-on by an under-insured drunk driver and unable to work?

Old 02-03-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Linda_d,

Not everyone can work for the government. To assume that government and the public sector should provide jobs for everyone is absurd.

By your reasoning and argumentation, everyone has an opportunity to work for the government, and if smart, should do so.

By that reasoning, there are enough government jobs to provide employment for every person in the U.S. who happens to want a job in government/public sector.

Government and public sector will never provide enough job openings to fulfill a goal of providing a job for most every person in the U.S or even a large fraction of the people who might like to work in the public sector.

And many government or public sector jobs are FILE CLERKS or PAPER PUSHERS or in that category......not 'dangerous' physically rough positions requiring physical endurance or physical strength or subject to weather.
You are "everyone". You're the one who's complaining.

FTR, "FILE CLERKS or PAPER PUSHERS" are virtually extinct in most government offices. You might look at the job postings on your local and/or state government websites. Virtually all openings require some kind of technical skill or proven experience or college degree, and usually it's a combination. The days of governments having typing pools and/or rooms full of clerks were already ending when I started working in government.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:16 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,491,586 times
Low level government jobs still exist. Yes, they now require some computer skills, but they are still in the category of paper pushers. And this includes city and state government workers, not just federal government workers.

Lower level government workers still exist.

No one nor I said anything about 'typing pools'. Absurd that you would say that.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-03-2016 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM

633 posts, read 467,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
There are still low level government jobs. Yes, they now require some computer skills, but they are still in the category of paper pushers. And this includes city and state government workers, not just federal government workers.

No one nor I said anything about 'typing pools'. Absurd that you would say that.
Totally false. Your impression of what a government worker actually IS is hilariously inaccurate and misinformed. My state has 70,000 Active workers in the state workforce. Of those a grand total of 11,000 (16%) are "office and clerical".

I have 7600 people in maintenance and trades.
I have over 10,000 Correctional officers, working prisons.
I have 4,100 state troopers.
I have 9000 social workers in the field.
I have 1000 registered nurses, 500 aides, and 200 doctors.
I have 17,000 professionals, from IT administrators to Dentists, to Facility Superintendents.

Feel free to tell them all just how much paper they're pushing, and how whatever you're doing is more valuable.

and all of this is public information, so you know at least one of us isn't full of it.

Home

Old 02-03-2016, 02:34 PM

4,732 posts, read 3,297,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Have you tried Lutheran Social Services? They are supposed to be pretty good. I didn't use them personally though.
The Lutheran Social Services does NOT offer any type of financial guidance. They have a website for anyone to look at; I found how to contact them and asked the question in an email. They responded to me with a negative answer.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:37 PM

4,732 posts, read 3,297,878 times
Quote:
Child labor is not happening in our country. And those illegals working here. That's a failure of our government to secure our borders and to enforce the I-9 requirement. Don't like the H1B? Let your elected officials know you oppose it.

Think again. I read a fairly recent article in the Reader's Digest concerning children working on tobacco farms in the south. Their height is preferred for the type of work they do. And they are not immigrants.

So much for no child labor in our country.

You really should get out more.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:40 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,155,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Think again. I read a fairly recent article in the Reader's Digest concerning children working on tobacco farms in the south. Their height is preferred for the type of work they do. And they are not immigrants.

So much for no child labor in our country.

You really should get out more.
And I remember something about the refugee children from Central America and Mexico, that were being housed here I. Texas, being exploited. I'll have to find the article.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,491,586 times
Burger Fan,

Low level government jobs exist. That is what I was saying. I never said they are the only category of public sector jobs.

Your screed does not dispute that. In fact, it confirms it. 11,000 workers in one state who are in the office and clerical category is not a small number of workers.

Nor are you being accused of not being a valued person.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-03-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement