U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 AM
 
440 posts, read 882,887 times
Reputation: 579

Advertisements

Just because it is traditional "women's" work does not mean it is low skill. That is just nonsense. Female-dominated jobs are poorly paid not because they are "low skill" but because of the notion that women are being financially supported by husbands, which in turn means they don't "need" to be paid more. This is the belief behind the concept of the "family wage" pushed by labor unions after WWII. Men were considered the primary breadwinners and supposedly "needed" the extra money more than women. It underlies much of the sexism in the labor force in terms of pay within occupations and the devaluing of jobs women have traditionally done.

This attitude is the real reason why women fare so poorly in all occupations and in retirement. It has nothing to do with the mythical idea they take "easy" jobs or they leave the labor force to raise families. Few women can even AFFORD to do that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 AM
 
440 posts, read 882,887 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It depends on how much you raise it. Inflation-adjusted, the minimum wage was $10.25 in 1968. The world didn't end. If you push it to $25.00/hour, it would drive businesses to invest in automation rather than pay the high labor costs. You would make 30% of the population unemployable. There is a middle ground. In a high cost area, it might be $15.00/hour. In a low cost area, it might be more like that $10.25.

I employ lots of people. I don't pay anybody less than $20.00 per hour. Anybody who isn't worth that isn't worth my time supervising and micromanaging them.
It is a lie that the minimum wage costs jobs. It is an old right-wing lie.

People in low wage countries have a cheaper cost of living generally. That is not the case here.

Jobs are created through demand, not through supply. You cannot automate beyond a certain degree because if you do, there is nobody to buy your products. Robots do not consume. In any case, the "automation" meme for trying to explain job loss is a lot of neoliberal b.s. deflecting from the fact politicians, in bed with financial elites, are largely responsible for the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Arizona
183 posts, read 111,784 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
But, the beauty of these companies is they negotiate a lower payment for you. That $20k CC debt could end up being $10k. For me, Genus contacted Discover and got them to agree to get rid of all overdraft fees, late payment charges, every fee imaginable! Discover even let me pay my thousands $$ of debt off without interest. No interest! I'm a loyal Discovercard member ever since.
To the OP...
If the CC is lowering your balance I believe the CC company has to issue a 1099C for the portion of the debt that's forgiven. That amount is taxable. (so if they knock off $10,000 you'll have to pay income tax on that amount)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Reputation: 15595
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
It is a lie that the minimum wage costs jobs. It is an old right-wing lie.

People in low wage countries have a cheaper cost of living generally. That is not the case here.

Jobs are created through demand, not through supply. You cannot automate beyond a certain degree because if you do, there is nobody to buy your products. Robots do not consume. In any case, the "automation" meme for trying to explain job loss is a lot of neoliberal b.s. deflecting from the fact politicians, in bed with financial elites, are largely responsible for the mess.

This has nothing to do with "right wing" politics. It comes from respected economists. You cannot assign an arbitrary amount and say this is what the minimum wage should be. The only people who do that are politicians, and they're pandering to the electorate with an eye on the next election. Right now there are studies showing how those localities that have raised the minimum wage are now losing jobs. You can cherry pick the one or two locations this isn't happening, but that's because of other factors. But as cities continue the march to $15 an hour, most will be losing jobs. It's already happening. If you want to know the real story behind the minimum wage read up on Sidney Webb, a Fabian progressive or Henry Rogers Seager, a progressive economist. That's the real story about the minimum wage. Making it about supporting a family is just a way of making a turd taste good by covering it with chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 11:11 AM
 
Location: USA
1,815 posts, read 2,242,275 times
Reputation: 4139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
Just because it is traditional "women's" work does not mean it is low skill. That is just nonsense. Female-dominated jobs are poorly paid not because they are "low skill" but because of the notion that women are being financially supported by husbands, which in turn means they don't "need" to be paid more. This is the belief behind the concept of the "family wage" pushed by labor unions after WWII. Men were considered the primary breadwinners and supposedly "needed" the extra money more than women. It underlies much of the sexism in the labor force in terms of pay within occupations and the devaluing of jobs women have traditionally done.

This attitude is the real reason why women fare so poorly in all occupations and in retirement. It has nothing to do with the mythical idea they take "easy" jobs or they leave the labor force to raise families. Few women can even AFFORD to do that now.


Sorry I wouldn't rep you again.


The last two lines of your post are spot on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 11:21 AM
 
806 posts, read 1,267,521 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
To the OP...
If the CC is lowering your balance I believe the CC company has to issue a 1099C for the portion of the debt that's forgiven. That amount is taxable. (so if they knock off $10,000 you'll have to pay income tax on that amount)
You know, you might be right. No one ever brought that up with me. Genus also didn't mention that by signing up with them, I wouldn't be able to get a new credit card. One of their counselors told me a few years after I was in. I didn't need a new card anyway...

Well, I decided to look up the tax info and it looks like forgiven debt is not taxed if it's mortgage debt, if the debt is from a BK or if you are insolvent (when the total forgiven debt is more than your assets). Even then, only the first $20k of forgiven debt is insolvent, so that's untaxable.

I got in trouble with the IRS back then too, but paid that off. Boy, I was a mess, wasn't I?

I'll ask my tax guy when I see him, but even if I had to pay taxes on that debt today, I wouldn't know how to figure out the amount I paid off.

Thanks for bringing that up. I'll definitely bring that up when I share the info with friends and next time I talk with DebtWave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,325,793 times
Reputation: 13779
Just getting interest rates lowered and charges waived, though, can still make it worthwhile to go through Credit Counseling.

NYgal2NC, are you a credit union member? You might be able to get a bill consolidation loan from them to pay off the CC debt at a much lower interest rate for reasonable period. You should talk to one of the officers at a local CU to find out about this.

My credit union has specific programs for members looking to pay off debt and rebuild their credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Central NY
4,655 posts, read 3,239,300 times
Reputation: 11912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Just getting interest rates lowered and charges waived, though, can still make it worthwhile to go through Credit Counseling.

NYgal2NC, are you a credit union member? You might be able to get a bill consolidation loan from them to pay off the CC debt at a much lower interest rate for reasonable period. You should talk to one of the officers at a local CU to find out about this.

My credit union has specific programs for members looking to pay off debt and rebuild their credit.
I have talked to my credit union people a few times regarding this credit card (their cards) debt and asked about a consolidated loan. Each time I was told no. "They" would not do it. I am not sure why that is, maybe I should check out another credit union and see what they can do. I did try a few banks here to see if I could get a loan, but was turned down, again.

Sometimes I feel OK, resigned, know I will have to deal with this for a long time.

Other times, I really get upset about it..... I know the debt is my fault, and my problem, and I am responsible to pay it. But there are days when I feel choked and hopeless.

I saw another poster reference DebtWave...... I'll google that to see what it has to offer.

The credit counseling available here would charge me $50 per month. To me, that doesn't make much sense when I'm trying to get out of debt.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,764 posts, read 7,820,670 times
Reputation: 13083
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Making it about supporting a family is just a way of making a turd taste good by covering it with chocolate.



"The purpose of the minimum wage was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers in the labor force. The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."

Minimum Wage - Legal Information Institute - Cornell University


www.law.cornell.edu/wex/minimum_wage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2016, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Reputation: 15595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
"The purpose of the minimum wage was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers in the labor force. The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees."

Minimum Wage - Legal Information Institute - Cornell University


www.law.cornell.edu/wex/minimum_wage

That's how the progressives of the day eventually packaged it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top