U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:58 AM

58 posts, read 41,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
I fault the author for trying to elicit sympathy where none seems to be needed.
Agreed - the author seems to have deliberately written the article in such a way to to emphasize how hard done by she is. Another article could just as well show how lucky she is to be on the road and living life on her own terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
At one time after we had sold and paid off a mortgage but hadn't bought a new house yet my credit rating actually dropped! The explanation was that our mix of credit wasn't good.

I check my credit rating every once in a while and if I don't have any searches made it stays the same or goes up. I haven't applied for a credit card in over two years and I only used it once to get the discounts they were offering. I did notice that they said my credit was only like 3 1/2 years old, which isn't true. Although, reading more carefully I saw that this was an "average". I have one credit card I've had for ten years, another one for almost six and a third one for five years. They also have, as my employer, a place I haven't worked in 18 years! I've been with my current employer going on six years and half a dozen jobs in between. It also shows two car loans but that's because I refinanced my car so it shows one loan "closed" and another opened. In a year my score has gone from 600 something to just below 800 though so I'm not going to complain too much. My car will be paid off in two weeks so another one closed! Yay!

Old 02-17-2016, 01:53 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,213,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
They make a copy of your driver's license. If they can't figure it out from that, they can always google your name.
Very true. Indeed, the creditors can probably tell me what I had for dinner last night.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:06 PM

9,741 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
At one time after we had sold and paid off a mortgage but hadn't bought a new house yet my credit rating actually dropped! The explanation was that our mix of credit wasn't good.
Actually, my credit rating went down after we sold our old house and paid off the large equity loan we had in that house. We got a letter from the bank after that telling us they would be happy to set up another equity line of credit in our current house, but we laughed and tossed that letter. It seems my credit is damaged from not having enough debt now. But since our goal is to be as debt free as possible, that is just fine with me.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:25 PM

5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I check my credit rating every once in a while and if I don't have any searches made it stays the same or goes up. I haven't applied for a credit card in over two years and I only used it once to get the discounts they were offering. I did notice that they said my credit was only like 3 1/2 years old, which isn't true. Although, reading more carefully I saw that this was an "average". I have one credit card I've had for ten years, another one for almost six and a third one for five years. They also have, as my employer, a place I haven't worked in 18 years! I've been with my current employer going on six years and half a dozen jobs in between. It also shows two car loans but that's because I refinanced my car so it shows one loan "closed" and another opened. In a year my score has gone from 600 something to just below 800 though so I'm not going to complain too much. My car will be paid off in two weeks so another one closed! Yay!
I have "Credit Karma" free...REALLY!! They watch your credit rating for you..

Old 02-19-2016, 08:43 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I have "Credit Karma" free...REALLY!! They watch your credit rating for you..

I have Credit Karma as well. I like the way they do things and they send me an e-mail once in a while to check it out. I'm usually ahead of them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement