U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,979 posts, read 3,466,540 times
Reputation: 10513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Someone in an earlier post mentioned that they had used a credit counseling company to help them with their debt and that they paid this company $8 per month.

I recently contacted a similar type company for help with the debt I am carrying and they told me they would charge $50 per month.

I decided if I were to pay them $50 per month, there would not be a lot left over to pay on the part of the debt I would still need to pay after their "help."
Have you tried Lutheran Social Services? They are supposed to be pretty good. I didn't use them personally though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,680 posts, read 3,253,088 times
Reputation: 11982
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Have you tried Lutheran Social Services? They are supposed to be pretty good. I didn't use them personally though.

Wonder if I would have to be Lutheran?

I've really made up my mind. My debt is my responsibility. I will be able to pay it off but not real soon. Two pieces of the debt will be paid in 4 years (I'll be 77-78). The rest of it is getting paid regularly, have no final paid date, but should happen at same time or before.

Thanks Meo, I appreciate your thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:52 PM
 
12,303 posts, read 15,209,125 times
Reputation: 8114
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
P/T usually has no benefits.
That 80% is all full time workers in the US.
That explains it. While Obamacare has made it easier for part timers to get medical, few have access to retirement plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:54 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,764 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Reputation: 14300
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
A society will be judged on how it helped its less unfortunate members. While always an earner with a higher than average income, I never begrudged helping the deserving less fortunate. I always voted my conscious, not my wallet. I wish more would. Make that as political as you care to make it.
Doing what we can for those truly needy through no fault of their own, to help them help themselves, I would agree.

Throwing good money after bad, subsidizing others' continued bad choices and free range spending,with nary a thought other than they are entitled to it, IMO is like throwing money into a bottomless pit.

Maybe YOU can afford that, but I sure can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times
Reputation: 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
As of 2014 80% of workers in the US do have access to a 401K.
And then you have IRA and Roth accounts which aren't tied to employment.

There's nearly $12 trillion dollars invested in retirement plans (401K, IRA, Roth).

http://www.americanbenefitscouncil.o...b-966598903769

Not really. http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/ebs2.pdf


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 06:02 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,764 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Reputation: 14300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
That explains it. While Obamacare has made it easier for part timers to get medical, few have access to retirement plans.

So should we have a mandatory retirement plan too? Gee, we could call it Obamaplan!

Just kidding, but considering the way Obamacare is going, I'd shudder at the thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,336,499 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Someone in an earlier post mentioned that they had used a credit counseling company to help them with their debt and that they paid this company $8 per month.

I recently contacted a similar type company for help with the debt I am carrying and they told me they would charge $50 per month.

I decided if I were to pay them $50 per month, there would not be a lot left over to pay on the part of the debt I would still need to pay after their "help."
There are non-profit credit counseling services. Look here: NFCC. Some are associated with organizations like the United Way, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,336,499 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Wonder if I would have to be Lutheran?

I've really made up my mind. My debt is my responsibility. I will be able to pay it off but not real soon. Two pieces of the debt will be paid in 4 years (I'll be 77-78). The rest of it is getting paid regularly, have no final paid date, but should happen at same time or before.

Thanks Meo, I appreciate your thought!
You don't have to be Lutheran to use LSS or Catholic to use Catholic Charities. You also don't have to be Jewish to live in subsidized senior housing by a local congregation or Baptist to live in a Baptist sponsored assisted living facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,680 posts, read 3,253,088 times
Reputation: 11982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
There are non-profit credit counseling services. Look here: NFCC. Some are associated with organizations like the United Way, I think.
Thank you for the information. I will look into this tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,179 posts, read 11,808,808 times
Reputation: 32193
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
things got a bit complicated, but we wound up with 4 houses [3 of them rentals] totally paid off, and a couple nice little side hustles. Life is good. LJ , Bobby, and I are all doing okay healthwise at the moment. Bills are paid. Cruises are booked, and there is extra.


So, are we lucky, or did we do things right? Luck ALWAYS plays a big part.
Even with bad luck, sounds like you still made a lot of good choices and eventually turned things around. And I'm glad things are going so well for you and your family now! But even with "good luck" some people make terrible financial decisions. And some people have both bad luck and bad judgement and end up working at 79 to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top