Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 06:37 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,856,716 times

Advertisements

I am currently eligible but not drawing SS... I am 67 in April. My benefit is double that of my spouse.

My spouse is not yet drawing SS and is 66 (FRA) in April.

I was thinking that I should wait for her to file in April,

-apply for spousal benefits getting 50% of her benefit,

- file and suspend my own (I'll have to hussle to beat the 5/1 cutoff)

- In three years (age 70) stop taking the spousal and apply for my own benefit

- and she will stop taking her own and apply for spousal against by increased benefit.

So my questions are:

1. does this look like a legitimate strategy?

2. can all of this be done online or do I need to visit an office?

3. I there something else I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,839,994 times
I'd base it completely on whether you need the money or not. We were going to wait on my wife, but she's sick and needs medical treatment, which costs money. We were trying to just get by for awhile on my salary, as I'm still working. But we could use the money, so we filed. I wouldn't worry it to death. There's no way to predict the future, either next year or tomorrow let alone how long you'll live etc.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,954,130 times
Deleted

Old 01-31-2016, 12:17 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,582,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I am currently eligible but not drawing SS... I am 67 in April. My benefit is double that of my spouse.

My spouse is not yet drawing SS and is 66 (FRA) in April.

I was thinking that I should wait for her to file in April,

-apply for spousal benefits getting 50% of her benefit,

- file and suspend my own (I'll have to hussle to beat the 5/1 cutoff)

- In three years (age 70) stop taking the spousal and apply for my own benefit

- and she will stop taking her own and apply for spousal against by increased benefit.

So my questions are:

1. does this look like a legitimate strategy?

2. can all of this be done online or do I need to visit an office?

3. I there something else I should consider?
If you apply for spousal benefit, called a Restricted Application, you don't file and suspend. You do one or the other, and Restricted Application is what you want. And there is no time limit on that. In fact you want to ensure a couple months elapse between her filing and your filing.

Ensure she files for her benefit only. (About 98% sure of that)...

When you turn 70, apply for your benefit and she applies for spousal.

All in all, your plan looks good to maximize your benefits and her survivor benefits.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:17 AM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
our plan is very similar except my wife is 65 and i am 63 and she is already collecting an early benefit since 62 .

however she will suspend her early benefit at fra in august leaving it to grow until 70 .

when she is 70 she will lift the suspension . i will be 67-10 months when she reaches 70 and i will file restricted application for 1/2 her benefit .

at 70 i will switch to my own and at that time she will get a spousal adder of 4200 to her benefit when i file.

we ran all the different scenario's through fidelity's new social security optimizer ( in house tool only , not one you can access ) and this was the best outcome for us .

Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Just a quick update...

Wife applied online and we received a call from the individual processing the application. As part of the conversation it was mentioned I would be applying for spousal benefits so he offered to handle that application on the call.

Very knowledgeable and professional help that clearly had all the data for us readily available, knew the strategies, and was up to date on Medicare rates and procedures as well.

Bottom line we made both applications without issue and got confirmation of our plan going forward. SS provided better customer service that most organizations we deal with.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:43 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,245,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Just a quick update...

Wife applied online and we received a call from the individual processing the application. As part of the conversation it was mentioned I would be applying for spousal benefits so he offered to handle that application on the call.

Very knowledgeable and professional help that clearly had all the data for us readily available, knew the strategies, and was up to date on Medicare rates and procedures as well.

Bottom line we made both applications without issue and got confirmation of our plan going forward. SS provided better customer service that most organizations we deal with.
I just read your post. However I do not think you have the correct answer.

My assumption is that 50% of your benefit is larger than your wife's benefit. If this is not correct you are doing the correct thing. If her benefit is larger than your 50% then you should collect on her account and let your benefit grow. Nothing wrong with what you are doing.

I would have went to the SS office as my experience has shown that the employees are very nice but mistakes happen all the time. Stay on top of this. If you start to have problems go to the office and meet with someone. Making an appointment is hard at some offices so I would walk in first thing in the morning planning on staying all day if necessary. Since time is short I would not wait for an appointment.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:14 PM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
Whoever has the bigger benefit should let their bigger benefit grow

Old 02-07-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I just read your post. However I do not think you have the correct answer.

My assumption is that 50% of your benefit is larger than your wife's benefit. If this is not correct you are doing the correct thing. If her benefit is larger than your 50% then you should collect on her account and let your benefit grow. Nothing wrong with what you are doing.
Her benefit is $31 a month higher than half of mine so we are OK with the way it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement