Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,018 times

Advertisements

Agree 100%. Everyone keeps saying it will come back but hard to imagine it will whe experts say the Markets were overinflated and we are seeing a correction. Time will Tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is the problem as our portfolio's grow over time . the percentage moves up or down are not a lot but the dollars are insane .

i am at 40/60 in funds and i can move 25k up or down in a day .

in two days you can be up or down a years worth of withdrawals and still be conservatively invested .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 12:20 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
It worries me too. I keep heart pills near me at the end of each day just in case the balance is too much for my heart!

Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
My wife was going to do that.......start, suspend and restart, but, after finding out about the "red tape" that could definitely happen when restarting, decided not to do it that way. A clerk at the SS Office told her, with me right there, "there is a very good chance that things could get messed up if you start, suspend and then restart your SS. I highly recommend not doing that."

We didn't want to get a mess going later, so she started her SS/FRA in Oct of last year. Originally, she wanted to work until she turned 70, get an extra $500 per month for Late Retirement, but instead, got laid-off from her last job at the end of Sept. of last year.

So, anybody can do what they want, but there could be trouble when starting, suspending and restarting SS.

BTW, due to being unemployed, and all of my UI Benefits used, I took SS at 62/Early Retirement.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Thanks so much Biscman for that clarification on the “Start – Stop – Start” rule in the answer your received.

As for the complication of that with the SSA, I must admit, whenever I hear people talk about various strategies, either:
-- filing, getting benefits and still working to earn more credits, or
-- having a spouse file, then suspend, then another spouse files, then one gets some of another's benefit. or
-- filing but still working and having the the 1 for 2 earning rule, so benefits are recalculated…..or
-- whatever crazy (my word) strategy people want to use…..

…I want to say, my God people just keep it simple, retire then get your benefits. This is the SSA we're talking about. DO you REALLY want to complicate the calculations and paper work with these people and this bureaucracy. I'm sure millions of people do those things every day and there's no problem. But I don't know if in the end I'll chance it. I think I want to KISS.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:28 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,018 times
Funny you say what your wife went through. Its for that exact reason I doubt I will go the Start-Stop-Start route. With my luck I would end up getting screwed...Might just wait till 64 or 65 to file..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife was going to do that.......start, suspend and restart, but, after finding out about the "red tape" that could definitely happen when restarting, decided not to do it that way. A clerk at the SS Office told her, with me right there, "there is a very good chance that things could get messed up if you start, suspend and then restart your SS. I highly recommend not doing that."

We didn't want to get a mess going later, so she started her SS/FRA in Oct of last year. Originally, she wanted to work until she turned 70, get an extra $500 per month for Late Retirement, but instead, got laid-off from her last job at the end of Sept. of last year.

So, anybody can do what they want, but there could be trouble when starting, suspending and restarting SS.

BTW, due to being unemployed, and all of my UI Benefits used, I took SS at 62/Early Retirement.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Thanks also for that clarification. Since I am married, I only considered S -S-S with regards to allowing my wife to benefit. Never looked at as a single or to do just on your own. It seems rather unlikely that someone would collect a SS check of 1.5 to 3k a month, then just voluntarily stop it so that it would take 13 years to recover from! But its good to know that if I have a windfall lottery win in a year, I can suspend it to reduce the tax hit, and restart it the next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement