U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 09:30 AM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times

Advertisements

Another thread asked about taking SS early, versus the uncertainty of health and life quality between between 62 and 67, versus after 67. I retired right at 61 (and took SS at 62). Going on 8-years into retirement, I cannot imagine having worked the extra 6-years (No health or personal issues; I simply enjoy being retired!), regardless of the SS difference.

We are fortunate to be able to live (and travel, etc) pretty comfortably, plus I've got plenty to keep me busy. I suppose I could feel different if we had to scrape to get by. (Of course, there are many others who get 'downsized' or other and discover that finding a job after 60 is a tad tough -- so, they start calling it "retirement", rather than "job hunting.")

If you retired early, have you remained satisfied with that decision financially - and in quality of life? - or other factors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,529,269 times
I retired at 62 and took SS at 63.5- so far so good

although at 64.5 I am getting a little bored and am looking at structured activities (part time work, classes, etc) to get out of the house.

could be that I am feeling better after a rough year last year healthwise, couldn't even walk around my block. but am feeling pretty spritely now and just want to get out and do things.

so my considerations must be health and finances, if they are OK then I am a happy retiree at whatever age. But I do not miss full time responsible work at all.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:55 PM

13,192 posts, read 6,308,074 times
So far so good. I rather not work more for the little bit of extra money. My husband is also not waiting for FRA, 66 for him. I have a different philosophy for retirement. I rather spend more in the beginning of the retirement phase than spend later on nice luxury nursing home.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:12 PM

21,838 posts, read 14,349,419 times
I am 9+ years into retirement, which happened for me at the age of 60. I am utterly thankful that I could retire when I did. It was a gift I gratefully accepted. There are several reasons for my feeling, one of which is that work had become tiring and stressful. I wonder if we don't process stress differently as we age? I don't know.

I have never regretted retiring.

I have thought that it might have been better had I postponed drawing SS benefits for a year or two after age 62. But our budget was made, and it required me to file ASAP. When you retire, and when you file are crapshoots. You simply don't know. We made the best decision we could, and I think it has paid off for us so far.

I can't imagine working now. I don't want to. I don't even want to do long term volunteer work, which is a surprise to me.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:21 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times
I get less than $1000 per month SS, which includes taxes taken out as well as monthly premium for Medicare. Since I was unemployed at age 62, and used up all of my UI Benefits, wife and I decided "some money is better than none" coming in for me.

Unlike my wife, I can find plenty of things at home to do. She got laid-off from her 5-year job last Sept., but got lucky, at age 67, and got another job one month later. While she was unemployed, we also decided to have her start her SS. She was at FRA anyway. So, her descent salary, plus her SS starting to come in, we will do ok. Not getting rich from her salary, her SS and my SS, but definitely doing ok.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:59 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,237,575 times
I took my SS at 64, if I had waited one more year I could have gotten FRA amount. I do receive a small pension and a small amount from an IRA. I am feeling a lot more relaxed about it now than I felt when I first started collecting. I have debt that I will have to pay on monthly for at least 4 more years (unless I win the lottery, haha). So a lot of my monthly income goes to paying what I owe, which is considerable. After kicking myself for a few years about this, I've decided to stop doing that and find a way to relax and enjoy and appreciate what I do have. No more thinking about what I could have had. What's the point of that? I believe it is called acceptance.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

If you retired early, have you remained satisfied with that decision financially - and in quality of life? - or other factors?
I could not have continued my work even if I wanted to. I had increasing mobility issues made much worse by working FT (actually, FT+). I retired at 62 and was able to make a certain amt of money freelancing. I still have a lot of free time and even find myself bored at times. My health and mobility are much improved due to physical therapy and taking much better care, without the unending stresses. To go to age 66 or 70 would not have been possible. That said, I admire those who can and want to keep working because of their enjoyment of it or because they need to.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
I retired at age 61 but continued working part-time for a few years. Part-time not as in half days five days a week, but part-time in my case was special projects which were very intense (long hours, heavy responsibility, pretty stressful) but which lasted only one to three weeks with lots of time off in between. That was the best of both worlds for me - increased free time, but still feeling productive, useful, and appreciated. The stress is actually fun when we know it will be over and done with in three weeks. Who says it has to be all or nothing in retirement?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM

156 posts, read 149,414 times
Yes, we're happy with early retirement. We retired at 62, four years ago. We immediately moved to San Diego—from the frozen Midwest—to a condo we'd bought a couple of years earlier.

Such a radical move, for us, at least, has kept us very busy in retirement so far. After learning our way around, etc., etc., there's just so much new to do here, year-round! No second-guessing ourselves. I'm hoping not to file for SS until age 70. One of the, what?, 5% who hold off?

Old 02-03-2016, 05:54 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,534,099 times
I'd love to retire at 62 (FRA is 67), but I keep thinking "Health Insurance cost", I want to keep it at a minimum. Our Health Insurance thru my job is great, and if I retire at 65, and roll into Medicare, that leaves my Wife at the mercy of hers jobs lousy Health Insurance for 3 years before she's Medicare eligible. So, if I go to 67, and get SS, and a few more years of Pension, that will cover my Wife for Health Insurance until she can get Medicare....at least thats my thought. Things could change, but bottom line, if I could, 62 and I'm out. My brother retired at 57, but he had a much better paying job, and lived frugally....paid off for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement