U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:16 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,001,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Robyn

Your posts here are very good. I only quoted this one but I wanted to point a couple of things that I find helpful. You are correct that you honestly don't need all the clubs. In fact I find that I use maybe 4 clubs out of my 13. I start the season using the 3 wood on tee shots until I get back to the swing of things. The 1 wood (Driver) is tough to control until you get your rhythm back. I currently use the hybrids where some folks might use the 3 fairway wood. I typically use the 4h when I need a distance over 120 and under 180 and I more of a line drive. If I need control I use my irons 4 or 5. Under 100 I grab my 7 all the way to even the bump and run. I find that club as easy to control and it gives me confidence to send it over or between hazards and onto the green consistently. I rarely use a wedge or 9.

As for lessons I agree there too. I have talked to a few pros about grip but that is about it. What I did was read. I got books on the game. I got a few books that talked about grip and swing. I even got a book on how to break 100 written by a 75 year old pro whose game instruction said to not worry about the long game first practice two putting. Putting from anywhere on the green to get so close that you could drain the second shot. Then the short game of getting the ball on the green. Avoid the traps if you are uncomfortable even if it gives you a long first put. Then worry about the middle game. Being consistent of going straight down the fairway and allowing the ball and the club do the work. Last of all is the drive off the tee. It made sense and I have been requested often by my peers when playing best ball teams. I am not perfect yet at putting but I did get very good at 2 putting.

I think drift away would be well served by looking at starter sets when they go on sale or find out when the next demo day is at the local club.
Our season doesn't end here in NE Florida (although we do have some cooler days when I don't care to play) - so my driver is always in use. Seems like for a lot of people - like my husband and I - the driver is the easiest club to use. Because it's so light - and you're hitting it off a tee. But - like you say - it can be a difficult club to control. One factor in this is the length of the club. I find that some manufacturers are making drivers that are an inch or so longer than mine. The longer the club - the harder it is complete the swing properly - especially if you're short. So I would pay some attention to this when shopping.

You're typical from what I've seen when it comes to golfers using hybrids. Not only recreational golfers - but more serious college and professional golfers. You might consider adding a 6 hybrid to your bag. My husband hits his 4 about 145-160 yards - and uses the 6 for about 130-145 yards.

In terms of clubs for women - one brand I forgot to mention is Square Two. The company basically went out of business after being acquired by Adams Golf (I think) - but you can still find new (and used) clubs available on Ebay. I like the "Light and Easy" line (I have these clubs - and they are exactly what they sound like). Here is the line I'm talking about:

LPGA Square Two Light Easy 444 Plus Driver 3 5 7 Fairway Woods Golf Clubs | eBay

(This Ebay offering looks like a pretty decent deal.)

When it comes to irons - I still own an old set of Cobra women's petite cavity back irons - but the only club in my bag from that set these days is the sand wedge.

I agree that putting is important. But putting doesn't much matter if you're hitting your 7th stroke on a par 5 hole and you're still 100 yards away from the green . So I think it's important to put something together in terms of tee club/fairway club(s) that will get you close to/on the green. Not necessarily in regulation - but perhaps a couple of strokes more.

And - like you mention - straight is important too. This is our home course:

Dye's Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass - TPC.com

It has 16 holes of lateral water and the rough is super gnarly about 6 months of the year when the course is being readied for the web.com championship. You definitely want to stay in the fairway. OTOH - every hole has an "easy way around" - which means it's a fun course for golfers at various levels. Unlike some of the courses here - which have (many) holes with (long) forced marsh carries. In addition to golf clubs - Drift Away should look at golf courses in her area. The course(s) you play can make a big difference when it comes to whether or not you enjoy playing. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 09:49 AM

284 posts, read 261,542 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree, my best bet is to get "fitted" for clubs, so will try to get by Edwin Watts this weekend. I'm only 5'2", so getting the right length club will be important. In doing some research, I see where they now make Hybrid clubs. Anybody use these and like them better?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:55 AM

8,916 posts, read 7,778,484 times
There's a golfers forum called the Sand Trap. Try them. Actually, for a beginner, its more important to get some lessons. Personally, as a former golfer, I'd skip it and try something else. Its a difficult game to learn, and can be very frustrating. I prefer bowling these days, or target shooting. Nothing to chase, find, or lose.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree, my best bet is to get "fitted" for clubs, so will try to get by Edwin Watts this weekend. I'm only 5'2", so getting the right length club will be important. In doing some research, I see where they now make Hybrid clubs. Anybody use these and like them better?

They are great get out of trouble clubs meaning that they are good in the rough. I think they okay otherwise. They have the weight of a wood and the control of an iron since they have that length of shaft. Me if I am on the fairway and do not need a long distance I prefer the irons. I like the control they give me. I have 3 hybrids. 2 of them I won during a couple of golf tournaments. Hit the ball off the tee on to the green on a par 3. They both were won using a hybrid so I guess they are not bad.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
If you happen to read this message soon - Edwin Watts (at least our local one) is having a 15% off everything in stock sale today. Valentine's Day sale. Might pay for you to drop by.

Most clubs that are fitted tend to be relatively pricey sets of irons (like my husband's set of Ping irons). Woods and hybrids are basically "off the rack". Robyn

Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
They are great get out of trouble clubs meaning that they are good in the rough. I think they okay otherwise. They have the weight of a wood and the control of an iron since they have that length of shaft. Me if I am on the fairway and do not need a long distance I prefer the irons. I like the control they give me. I have 3 hybrids. 2 of them I won during a couple of golf tournaments. Hit the ball off the tee on to the green on a par 3. They both were won using a hybrid so I guess they are not bad.
My husband uses a four and a six hybrid - and they have replaced long irons for him. He hits them much better than his old long irons. I also took him to Watts today for a Valentine's Day present. Finally convinced him to buy a chipper (I love mine). If his short game improves with the chipper - doubt I'll ever be able to beat him again .

I've only had one hybrid - a six. And I never hit it well - just like I don't hit irons well. OTOH - it was a cheapo that I bought a long time ago. Perhaps the newer zippier hybrids might suit me better. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement