U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 AM

8,836 posts, read 7,736,397 times

Advertisements

I heard a great retirement story today from a dentist friend of mine. Part of his training was from a very old Oral Surgeon teacher, who was in his 80's at the time. Apparently, this guy had retired from his job at least 3 times, yet, still showed up regularly to teach and pull teeth at this teaching hospital where he had worked for decades.

It seems that they had had a retirement party for him at 65. A week or so later, he shows up at work and goes back to all his regular duties, teaching and pulling teeth for many of the indigent types who came for free dental work which was performed by students with supervision. He was called into the office of the boss who wondered what he was up to, and informed him that he was off the payroll and they they could no longer pay him. The retired dentist said that was Ok, he just loved his job so much he'd gladly do it for free, and so he did even into his 80's. Apparently they even gave him a retirement party at 75, but he kept coming back.

Apparently he was quite good at pulling teeth also. Where a student might break the tooth they were trying to pull, and then have to do more involved surgery, He could go at the tooth with just the right amount of pressure this way, and a tug that way, and in 3 minutes or so, even a difficult tooth would pop right out. It seemed like magic to the students and he loved doing it.

My point in telling this story is that when we retire, we shouldn't let convention dictate what we do with our retirement. If you find something you love doing, even if everyone thinks your crazy, do what you love, even if they don't pay you. If its golf every day, or fishing, or pulling weeds, whatever. We spend so much of our time with most of our life trying to please parents, teachers, bosses and customers when we work. Why let what others think you should do dictate what you do with your retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 10:59 AM

9,777 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I heard a great retirement story today from a dentist friend of mine. Part of his training was from a very old Oral Surgeon teacher, who was in his 80's at the time. Apparently, this guy had retired from his job at least 3 times, yet, still showed up regularly to teach and pull teeth at this teaching hospital where he had worked for decades.

It seems that they had had a retirement party for him at 65. A week or so later, he shows up at work and goes back to all his regular duties, teaching and pulling teeth for many of the indigent types who came for free dental work which was performed by students with supervision. He was called into the office of the boss who wondered what he was up to, and informed him that he was off the payroll and they they could no longer pay him. The retired dentist said that was Ok, he just loved his job so much he'd gladly do it for free, and so he did even into his 80's. Apparently they even gave him a retirement party at 75, but he kept coming back.

Apparently he was quite good at pulling teeth also. Where a student might break the tooth they were trying to pull, and then have to do more involved surgery, He could go at the tooth with just the right amount of pressure this way, and a tug that way, and in 3 minutes or so, even a difficult tooth would pop right out. It seemed like magic to the students and he loved doing it.

My point in telling this story is that when we retire, we shouldn't let convention dictate what we do with our retirement. If you find something you love doing, even if everyone thinks your crazy, do what you love, even if they don't pay you. If its golf every day, or fishing, or pulling weeds, whatever. We spend so much of our time with most of our life trying to please parents, teachers, bosses and customers when we work. Why let what others think you should do dictate what you do with your retirement.

Sounds as though this dentist became a volunteer.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:10 AM

71,909 posts, read 71,971,035 times
what time does he do this ? tooth hurty ?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:24 AM

787 posts, read 897,237 times
I have a good friend who say's the best job he ever had was in the army during Viet Nam (Helicopter gunship), lets hope he does not see this thread!

Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 AM

16,386 posts, read 10,371,940 times
I agree, OP.

I've long felt that way about retirement. I've had to follow rules my whole life. And while I readily admit you're never totally free of rules/policies/laws retirement is probably as close as it gets.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:53 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,263,463 times
Actually, as you were telling the story, I was thinking of the liability to the dental practice.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:51 PM

8,836 posts, read 7,736,397 times
He's was a fully credentialed oral surgeon. Most of these people have to carry their own insurance, no matter where they work. He was employed at a teaching hosp. in Minn.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:50 PM

420 posts, read 266,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what time does he do this ? Tooth hurty ?
Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement