U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:20 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Life is too short to worry about nonsense like this. Let it go.
That's one approach. Another is to tackle it head on, i.e. to respond directly yet civilly in a way that makes the parties reconsider. If I had it do all over again, the latter is the approach I would have taken.
~sigh~, so many missed opportunities to raise awareness. Does anyone recall the Virginia Slims cigarette slogan "We've come a long way, baby"?
30 years later, we still haven't come all that far..
And please don't call us 'baby' or 'sweetie'. To be fair, young women are the ones who usually call us 'sweetie'. The >tackle it head on< approach applies to them as well.

Silibran, please don't take this personally but I find it telling that you keep apologizing for the prig. It's not you, it's him.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-06-2016 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 12:56 AM

199 posts, read 110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
When we have 50% representation in Congress and Boardrooms we will have equality. The misogyny on this board is revealing.
I'm tired of such unsupported name-calling going unchecked. I wouldn't take that from a man. Where are your quoted comments from this board to back up such a heavy accusation of misogyny?

You want more female representation, yes?

When women prefer more female people to participate in something, women do not consider this want as misandry. Am I right? However, when men prefer more male people to participate, why it's just gotta be misogyny.

Any preferencing of one sex over the other is sexist. (How can it not be?) Call it that. But it is not automatically misogyny (or misandry). Those are heavy accusations that need supporting.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:45 AM

662 posts, read 476,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's one approach. Another is to tackle it head on, i.e. to respond directly yet civilly in a way that makes the parties reconsider. If I had it do all over again, the latter is the approach I would have taken.
~sigh~, so many missed opportunities to raise awareness. Does anyone recall the Virginia Slims cigarette slogan "We've come a long way, baby"?
30 years later, we still haven't come all that far..
And please don't call us 'baby' or 'sweetie'. To be fair, young women are the ones who usually call us 'sweetie'. The >tackle it head on< approach applies to them as well.

Silibran, please don't take this personally but I find it telling that you keep apologizing for the prig. It's not you, it's him.

Right on.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:58 PM

21,838 posts, read 14,349,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Not prying, but I wonder if he thought you are an affluent couple and the husband MUST surely have had some impressive professional position. Maybe your husband himself has impressed the doc. But it is very weird that he would ask YOU, while not asking you the same question. Because obviously your career doesn't matter, you've probably just glommed on to your husband's big salary and perks. :-)
Well, how depressing that thought is. But yes, perhaps. He doesn't seem like that negative a person though.

Just for the record, we aren't wildly affluent. We do have insurance.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 PM

21,838 posts, read 14,349,419 times
Hmm. I like the doc very well. He is a good ophthalmologist. I don't like to think that I have caused people to think he is a prig. I don't believe he is.

DH is not likely to have directed the doc to do any particular thing.

My original question was, why would someone ask about my spouse's career, and not mention mine? I think some of you have given me possible ways to think about this. And others of you have agreed with my feeling that women's careers are not generally thought of as being valuable. Yes to the thought that my DH's career was substantially more remunerative than mine was.

I refuse to make this personal with my doctor whose expertise I value, however. On this last visit, he took time to explain what my problem was, again, and to reiterate what signs I need to be aware of if my condition takes a turn for the worst. Please do not advise me to take some sort of action that I am not going to take, or to chastise me for not being angry about this. I was miffed, and surprised. And, finally curious. I asked the question here, and a lot of the answers were constructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or