U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,523,899 times

Advertisements

The list for New Mexico is interesting. The top 6 are nice scenic places but generally expensive (e.g., Taos, Santa Fe) and 3 are at 8000 feet elevation or more and can be very cold with lots of snow in the winter. The last 4 places are sort of dumpy and I am not sure why they are on the list. The two places that I recommend the most for retirees on a budget who want to be near good healthcare, a less expensive suburb of Albuquerque and a small city in southern New Mexico, are not listed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 02:08 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,771,022 times
I love where I live now. My perfect retirement spot would be near the ocean, and we are a not too far from the ocean now. I want to live in a moderate climate year round, and we have that. I want plenty of outdoor activities and we have that. I don't know about wanting to retire anywhere else in the world, other than an island somewhere. Maybe retire to a boat and sail around the world.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:17 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,954,521 times
Aspen Colorado?

Sure if you are a multi-millionaire.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:35 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,809,056 times
I can understand why you count things when compiling a list, but there is a huge difference between counting and quality. For example stuff like recreation and senior centers can significantly vary from place to place. Likewise the quality of the medical facilities.

Though so a location may have fewer of these centers, they may be substantially larger with more activities than other locations.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:46 PM

8,395 posts, read 9,141,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is a cool map from smartasset: https://smartasset.com/retirement/re...us/best-places
I am really impressed by that map. The counties are so much smaller in the eastern two thirds of the US. With that said my county was dark blue.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:42 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
This type of comparison is not worth much in terms of final score, but the individual points rated for different areas can be useful. The same as for example many of Consumer Report's ratings - I don't much care which car they think is the "best sedan" but I can sort through the objective data, and see what I think is most important.

But just like the cars, I have to see them and drive them to really know anything - you have to visit a place in person, or at least research it extensively, to know if it will suit you, more or less.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:17 AM

1,293 posts, read 948,496 times
Every sane person .oves from ak as soon as they retire. Health care sucks and is 30-50% .ord expensi e than in lower48. Taxes are ok but sales tax exist in some places. Travel is cost - prohibitive doe to the only way out by air. Heating costs start at 200/mo etc.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 AM

205 posts, read 440,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Hmmm... 3 cities in Michigan -- nice place to visit but...
And the lower number of seniors the better?
That might be because they all left at the first opportunity?
Traverse city I can see but not the other two... especially Farmington. I live 5 minutes from Farm.... 25 from Brighton and about 4 hours from Traverse.... I frequent all of them...

Traverse is the only acceptable one on the list.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,643,964 times
Well, wife and I are giving serious consideration about moving back to the "Eastern Slope/Front Range" of Colorado the middle of next year (2017). We lived in the southern part of Englewood, which is on the map and my wife worked in Littleton, which is also on the map. Neither area is high in ranking, but we spent 5 1/2 years total, living in Englewood (apt.) and Parker (house). For the most part, really enjoyed it, however the winter months were starting to get to us. We sold our house, quit our full-time jobs and took off for NC. After a year/half in Huntersville, wife got laid-off and we decided that Lake Norman just wasn't what we wanted for boating/fishing. Headed for Jacksonville, FL, but, after 7 years here, decided that we don't want to retire here. We both miss the Bull Elk in RMNP and the boating/fishing on the lakes we frequented south of Denver.

Yes, "Old Man Winter" gets there the last of Oct., but when people are retired and don't have go out into that weather, like they would when employed, it doesn't matter as much. Heck, we still have our winter parka's and snow brush/ice scraper combo from when we lived there before.

Of course, by the middle of 2017, things could change........like our health, that would keep us from moving there, but we still don't want to live here.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:45 AM

7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Every sane person .oves from ak as soon as they retire. Health care sucks and is 30-50% .ord expensi e than in lower48. Taxes are ok but sales tax exist in some places. Travel is cost - prohibitive doe to the only way out by air. Heating costs start at 200/mo etc.

A lot of people do move after they retire. And then they move back. I don't know how health care compares as I have used my health insurance once in my life, and that was when I stepped on a rusty nail. Taxes are more than OK. In Wasilla it's two percent. And it's capped at $500. So if I buy a car in Wasilla, my sales tax will come out to $10. I've never paid 200 for heat, even when I had a very large home. Last month my gas bill was $98, and that includes heat, hot water, the stove and the oven. Air travel isn't that bad either. Just look for the best deals. When you factor everything in, I find it's almost as expensive to live in Arizona. And I can tell you it's a lot cheaper than California or anywhere in the northeast corridor. We initially retired to Arizona, but moved back to Alaska to become snowbirds after considering taxes, family and weather. What we save by being Alaska residents pretty much pays for maintaining our Arizona house and the back and forth travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or