U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 07:00 PM

747 posts, read 610,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Pickle, you must be mistaken. Everyone knows that white people are perfect. They never blast music, white kids don't break car windows or engage in petty vandalism, there's never been a white rapist, etc. This stuff never happens in white areas.
It does, just not as often as in the browned up areas. At least that's the case in the Philadelphia area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,938,761 times
Horrible place. Get otta there! On top of the dangerous neighborhood, you'll get taxed to death. Property taxes in Illinois are about the highest I have ever seen. You could move almost anywhere and be better off. If you want friends, you'll find new ones. I did and I'm not even what you'd call friendly.

Chicago is rapidly becoming Detroit II. And apparently some of the suburbs are included, to boot. Once a great city, you couldn't pay me to go there these days.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,736,926 times
Ironic that we have the opposite issue with the same potential outcome of having to leave. We bought an older house in what was once an inner ring middle class area (back in that long ago time when most were of that income level). Its value and corresponding property taxes are pricing us out. Of course, it is a blessing to be able to sell at a good profit but having to leave the place you lived for so many years is painful. I guess in both situations all one can do is see moving as an adventure and exercise in being adaptable. And by the way, many of those Chicagoans are moving here. Sigh...

Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 AM

17,417 posts, read 21,259,305 times
Even when I lived in Phoenix (1993-1996) it was estimated, then, that 400,000 in the Phoenix had roots in "Daley-ville"/Chicago, and they even opened up a Gino's Pizza Place there.

So, that's a plan, move to Phoenix and be around any number of your "own people" with lower taxes and housing prices!

Old 02-12-2016, 11:56 AM

256 posts, read 477,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Ironic that we have the opposite issue with the same potential outcome of having to leave. We bought an older house in what was once an inner ring middle class area (back in that long ago time when most were of that income level). Its value and corresponding property taxes are pricing us out. Of course, it is a blessing to be able to sell at a good profit but having to leave the place you lived for so many years is painful. I guess in both situations all one can do is see moving as an adventure and exercise in being adaptable. And by the way, many of those Chicagoans are moving here. Sigh...
That's terrible! I know of two friends who are being priced out of their homes due to high taxes and they live only 5 city blocks to my north.

Even with the so-called senior tax reduction it is a burden to pay taxes in excess of $1000 a month. For what???

It's tough either way. . .and it sounds to me like it's the Chicagoans who are buying up and raising costs for you. . .sorry about that. I live one town west and 4 city blocks from Chicago so I get it.

I think of the two scenarios, yours is the more difficult. Being forced out thru taxation when it was because of you and your neighbors that made your area so desirable is a tough thing.

All the best to you!

Old 02-13-2016, 01:08 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,334,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Same insidious thing was happening in California back in the 1970's and the politicians turned a deaf ear to the plight of homeowners being driven out by double digit tax increases.

No one would act... simply indexing the homeowner exemption would have provided some relief... politicians left it to the public and that is how Prop 13 came about... since then property tax can only increase a max of 2% per year without 2/3 voter support or 55% in the case of school infrastructure.

The family I bought my home from was paying $1200 per year and it went to $8800 when I bought...

In 30 or 40 years I fully intend to be the one with the low property taxes on the block...

Old 02-13-2016, 04:52 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,669,675 times
Chicago is not Detroit or Cleveland. There are and will be neighborhoods that go down but then go back up. It is a more vibrant growing city.
The fact that you live near downtown and butt up against a wealthy neighborhood sounds like a good thing to me.

There are gentrification maps of Chicago and probably people who know more about the possibilities for your neighborhood than a bunch of on line strangers that live all over the place.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:37 AM

747 posts, read 610,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Chicago is not Detroit or Cleveland. There are and will be neighborhoods that go down but then go back up. It is a more vibrant growing city.
The fact that you live near downtown and butt up against a wealthy neighborhood sounds like a good thing to me.

There are gentrification maps of Chicago and probably people who know more about the possibilities for your neighborhood than a bunch of on line strangers that live all over the place.
The OP is sixty years of age and it doesn't sound like her neighborhood is going to 'gentrify' and become nice again in the next five years.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:31 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,669,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post

I'm really torn about what to do. This spring I'm replacing the roof but there are constant repairs to a property this old. Neither of us have any family except for our only child so my friends are very important. I have no idea what to do. Illinois is a fiscal mess and I don't want to make a bad financial mistake. I feel strongly that given the present economy it is not a time to sell or buy in the Chicago area. Every house that is in a decent community is at LEAST $100,000 more with taxes in the $7-8000 range. I don't pay anywhere near that now. I know that we have time as retirement won't be for a few years yet but this is troubling me.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Well true about age and gentrification.

Sounds to me like friends are an issue but finances and moving are the main issue. You seem set on selling but when and where to go.
In that case I think your best bet is to talk to some realtors. Of course finding a good realtor is hard. Someone who really is in touch with the bigger picture of your entire area and has some sense of sell now or it can wait a few years based on what is going on in the neighborhoods and schools. The stock market isn't helping things and all reports are that it won't get better for awhile. In Chicago I suspect picking a time of year to sell is important. CD does have a Chicago forum and a Realtor forum. I would do a lot of posting there for information.
If you can hang on to see where your child ends up after college would you follow her in a move? Or move to one of the other Chicago towns where your friends are?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 AM

2,830 posts, read 1,008,958 times
If the OP doesn't feel at home or safe in her area then she should move. As for the "culture" remarks, well it's also socioeconomic I wouldn't want to live in a poor uneducated white area because it wouldn't feel safe nor home, but I wouldn't categorize that as the culture of that ethnic group. Unfortunately most immigrants are from poor and uneducated backgrounds so it brings those problems.
Best of luck in finding a place you can feel comfortable and call home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement