U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM

536 posts, read 632,485 times

Advertisements

My tastes have changed a lot over the years. Simon and Garfunkel and Bob Dylan and The Who were once my favorites, and the Beatles.

I find that Dylan and the Who still hold up well--and certain songs by the other two groups as well (Blackbird by the Beatles; America by S&G).

But so many other groups of that era that I listen to now that I didn't really like back in the day. It was an incredible time for pop music. I used to turn my folksy nose up at the Beach Boys--well, I was wrong. Brian Wilson was/is a genius. Roy Orbison. Didn't like him then; love to play his songs now when I am driving. I always liked the Rolling Stones, but now I see how important they were, too.

I still like Taj Mahal in that period as much as I did before, and he was a real strong favorite. Huge fan of George Jones, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Emmy Lou Harris, but I discovered them all in the 80s.

Music is great. It's not like loving ballet, of which there are so few historical records. Easy for everyone to retrace classics they may have missed, and I missed back in the day, so many that I love now.

My tastes in classical have changed too, but only increased my respect for how many geniuses music has nourished. Scarlatti is my favorite now, and the late Masses of Handel. They were two of my mother's favorites, maybe late in life I am in the process of finally turning into her! I could do worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:32 PM

11,270 posts, read 8,443,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
^^NYgal...now you did it back to me...ya got me thinking of that heart-pounding game of red-light-green-light-one-two-three with your talk of the swimming hole (we didn't have a swimming hole...just yards)
Fox in the Gully And Swing the Statue. (we had lots of cousins)

I veered away from the music that took me back to negative times in my life. HOWEVER I really love The Outlaws, Little River Band... I work with a guy who's uncle played with so many of those bands. It's great to hear him reminisce.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:13 PM

3,990 posts, read 2,547,661 times
All my life I had popular music on, now right wing talk radio exclusively. All my life I was a big hot rod and drag racing cars enthusiast.
Now I have performance Honda sports cars.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:39 PM

2,002 posts, read 2,642,528 times
I still listen to the music of the 50's and 60's, but I've added some new kinds of music to my old favorites. My kids were teenagers in the 1980's when MTV started up and played only music videos, so I really got into 80's music and I listen to it a lot now. And my late husband loved jazz and blues, and from him I learned to love those musical genres as well.

My iPod has all different kinds of music on it now. What I play at any given time depends on my mood.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:33 PM

75 posts, read 192,997 times
American Pie brings back so many memories for me.I first remember hearing it when I was doing laundry at the naval air base in Millington (Memphis) Tennessee in the early / mid 1970s. I thought it was fantastic.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 PM

6,324 posts, read 5,067,075 times
Ac/dc!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:11 PM

43,564 posts, read 52,710,219 times
I read an article about how your music tastes solidify during your late teens.

So it makes perfect sense.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:12 PM

446 posts, read 282,832 times
I fell in love with ragtime in my early teens (early 70s) when Joshua Rifkin came out with his Scott Joplin albums, followed by becoming enthralled with early jazz when my father came home with an album of Preacher Rollo and the Five Saints. And like the rest of you, my early teen love is still with me. Joplin's melodies - wistful, yearning. And sone of the early jazz titles are as expressive as the music. "Oh My Babe Blues."

If there is a genre of music that touches your heart, and you've found that music, you are a lucky (and probably happy) person.

Last edited by upnorthretiree; 02-08-2016 at 09:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 PM

22,184 posts, read 11,903,929 times
Jeremiah was a bull frog was cool!

Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 PM

4,002 posts, read 10,454,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm the opposite. I can't stand 70's music. I consider the 70's to be the Dark Ages of music and the 80's to be the Renaissance. I listen to today's music, but I have no problem if a station plays 80's up to today. On SiriusXM, I listen to The Pulse, channel 15. If I don't have sat radio, I listen to iHeart stations.
This was me. Even while living through the 70s music (circa 1973 to 1981) I knew it was c**p (except for some Pointer Sister songs in 74, and Blondies "Heart of Glass" in 79). That's when I began looking back to the music of the 60s and 50s, and then my parents music from the 40s and 30s, and knew it was the music for me. But as you said, the Renaissance came in the 80s (particularly Depeche Mode) which I celebrated, but that was followed by a new Dark Age, Grunge (sorry Grunge fans).

What I have found now that I'm older is that I lack patience, the patience to listen through the 60% of music that is mediocre, or 30% which is trash, to grasp the 10% that is good. By looking to earlier music, time has already culled the worst from the play list, and I don't have to bother with the bad stuff from a particular era.

What happens now is that occasionally a younger person will send me something new he thinks is good. Usually, he is right and I am spared the pain of sifting through the detritus. For example, that's how I came across Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" and Plain White T's "Hey There Delilah". I'm not completely stuck in the past, but I know I'm missing out on some of the better, new songs.

Last edited by kettlepot; 02-09-2016 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or