U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:17 PM

951 posts, read 555,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
A few weeks ago, we made an overnight trip to see "The Buddy Holly Story," and last Friday we drove two hours, for another overnight, to see The Duprees. ("Have You Heard" and "You Belong to Me," among other hits.)

So yeah, I guess our tastes are rooted in nostalgia at this point. I went to a Johnny Mathis concert back in 2005 and spent most of the time with tears streaming down my face. Definitely takes you back to a different time and place.

I don't think we're alone in that, though. Every generation seems to develop their musical tastes in their teens and 20s, and that's the music we love. I barely listened to music at all in my 30s and beyond. I'm amazed when 20- and 30-year-olds are familiar with earlier rock and roll (beyond the Beatles and Stones). I certainly don't know their music.
I love the Duprees and have seen them quite a number of times . My family saw them also last Friday in AC at the Tropicana awesome show .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 2,612,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm frozen in time in so far as my tastes are concerned. My musical (and movie) tastes are *exactly* the same as they were when I was a teenager. (I kept hidden then, my love of Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Classical....as well as Gregory Peck, Katharine Hepburn, and yes, damn it, Donny Osmond...lol)

But this song is like no other for me. God help the person in the car next to me waiting at the light as I crank up the radio and sing and the tears come down. Or "Gimmie the Beat Boys", "Kodachrome", etc. (I sing to those, not cry )

I don't feel like there's anything wrong with not liking what has come after my young years (actually, my musical likes pre-date my actual teen years), so "frozen" isn't a derogative (after all, ice cream is frozen! )

What about you? has age changed your likes? Did you leave your youthful tastes behind? Add to it?
"...you know a melody can move me, guitar coming through to soothe m.... thanks for the joy you've given me, I want you to know I believe in your song....
Gimme the beat boys, and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away... One of my all time favorites!!!!!!

And yes, "I can't remember if I cried, when I read of his widowed bride.....Bye Bye miss American pie, drove my chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry...

Music, my favorites, have Always been important to me. When I get depressed I will put on a CD of a favorite best hits or collections, and with the earphones on so I don't disturb others, listen away. I literally "get lost in {the} rock and roll and drift away"..... But I have only bought about 5 CDs in the last 10-15 years, as I just am not fond of 'modern" musical songs played on the hits radio today.

I just recently went to a golden oldies station as I tired of current "pop' music, and the 70s/80s station was boring, the easy listening featuring hits of 60s 70s 80s was boring, and the local hard rock {70s/80s] was also re-play ad nauseum. I mean after the thousandsth time, Ozzie Osbourne or Black Sabbath just isn't so cool anymore.

Make no mistake, the most popular golden oldies are also re-played, but they have a whole new segment I haven't heard in a long while to amuse me by.

I, like you, aam really stuck in the {50s} 60s, 70s and even the 80s music I grew up with,and was a young man with.

After that, music, especially pop, rock, and music in general sucked. That's when, in my opinion, the music died...

My grandmother was stuck in big band music,and I now know why! I think each generation gets "stuck" in the formative years music. shows, tv, etc, if not ," retro" wouldn't be such a big business!!!

Thanks for the stroll down amnesia lane...

Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 PM

25,020 posts, read 23,916,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my son showed me how to download music from youtube..
save it to my computer and then save it to a cd disk...
I listen to that in the car ..

youtube is great I can view/listen to any song from my childhood... I don't go as far back as the 30's but from the 60's youtube seems to have a ton of music/songs
Sometimes you just have to listen to The Animals at 5AM.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Funny you mention Heart of Glass. I consider that song to have heralded in the Renaissance. It's a timeless classic. But I think some of the greatest music came out of the 90's. Grunge was only part of it. But did like Nirvana. But my favorite 90's group is No Doubt. I absolutely adore Gwen Stefani.
Interesting... Heart of Glass for me was this flickering hope in a year of bad music, a false spring if you will. It quickly went dark, and the lights didn't come on again for another 3 years. But like you, I've looked back at HoG as the harbinger of change.

From the 90s, I liked a number of songs from Smashmouth.

I'm a great fan of Pentatonix, even to the point of being a Pentaholic (those who know PTX, know what that means... Pentaholics start out telling ourselves we are just going to listen to one song and three hours later, we're still wearing out Youtube). They could be transformative if today's composers would start feeding their best works to them, relieving them of the need to cover and co-opt the songs of others. By that I mean, Aretha Franklin wasn't the first person to sing R-E-S-P-E-C-T, but she owns the song. PTX owns songs from Daft Punk to Imogen Heap to Tchaikovsky - (see Sugar Plum Fairy.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt3oAyK_IG8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 PM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times
Remember those first hand-sized transistor radios of the Sixties? I thought I was in heaven when I could carry the music along with me. We kids would get summer jobs hoeing bean fields and now we could have our rock and roll music while we worked. After the day got too hot to work we could take our music over to the swimming hole.

We often ran out around five in the morning and threw a watermelon or two in and if kids from other towns didn't find it first we had semi-cool melon to refresh us while we swam.

Fond memories of turning on my old tube-style radio at night after I went to bed and being able to pull in WLS (Chicago, Illinois) KOMA (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) and KAAY (Little Rock, Arkansas) all the way up in Minnesota. KAAY introduced me to my first (I guess back then it was called) "race music." Where we lived we usually only got the white versions until the Detroit sound hit the big time.

My dad played the piano so the hit songs of the Thirties and Forties also bring back a lot of good memories.

I didn't make the "leap" in the Seventies and slipped over to the Country music side for a while. It was my teenagers who introduced me to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

My tastes in music are eclectic. I like everything from bluegrass and old-time polka all the way to some techno and classical.

But I think it has to touch something inside of me to be appreciated. If a song doesn't do that it doesn't stay with me.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:57 AM

6,620 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm frozen in time in so far as my tastes are concerned. My musical (and movie) tastes are *exactly* the same as they were when I was a teenager. (I kept hidden then, my love of Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Classical....as well as Gregory Peck, Katharine Hepburn, and yes, damn it, Donny Osmond...lol)

But this song is like no other for me. God help the person in the car next to me waiting at the light as I crank up the radio and sing and the tears come down. Or "Gimmie the Beat Boys", "Kodachrome", etc. (I sing to those, not cry )

I don't feel like there's anything wrong with not liking what has come after my young years (actually, my musical likes pre-date my actual teen years), so "frozen" isn't a derogative (after all, ice cream is frozen! )

What about you? has age changed your likes? Did you leave your youthful tastes behind? Add to it?
Me too! Although I have picked up likes for new artists and movies along the way, I have kept the loves of my youth in my heart. To me, there will never be another Cary Grant or Katharine Hepburn. I still love Gone with the Wind.

I watched the movie "Arsenic and Old Lace" with Cary Grant recently, and "Harvey" with Jimmy Stewart. Movies don't get much better than that.

A favorite song (I have so many) was Roy Orbison's "Crying." I mean to tell you...what a moving song. But that doesn't mean I didn't love K.D. Lang's version of it. I maybe love her version even more.

For female singers, Janis Joplin still amazes me. What a voice. What a character.

My brother and I were talking about this recently. That the new artists don't seem to have much substance and how we can't imagine that people will still be listening to their songs 50 years from now, like people listen to Joplin or Bob Dylan or Frank Sinatra. Maybe Lady Gaga is an exception. Christina Aguilera. But they don't have any famous songs like the older artists had. Songs that stay with you. But maybe that's my age talking.

As far as actors go, there are some good young ones. Leo DiCaprio is excellent, Ben Affleck immensely talented. Ben Stiller good at comedy. They'll last.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:33 AM

20,068 posts, read 14,436,398 times
Just finished watching Art Garfunkel do his thing live and in person. You make good music? I'll listen.

I like music from just about every era and genre.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:51 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,822 times
While I listen to classic rock stations most often, I wouldn't say that I'm stuck as I can appreciate a wide variety of music. I find that some music can be appreciated by many generations.

The following song is one of my daughter's favorites, but I've come to love it also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs2DTcWutT0

Old 02-11-2016, 12:24 PM

718 posts, read 603,616 times
Yep.I like the stuff you've talked about along with a lot of music of today. If I really like it, I'll read the lyrics so I can sing along.

No "rock the catbox" for me. Extra points for anyone who understands that reference.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:31 PM

698 posts, read 524,954 times
The older I get, the more I appreciate a song like this one: Sunrise Sunset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03rzUoyq9K0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or