U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:36 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,071,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Yep.I like the stuff you've talked about along with a lot of music of today. If I really like it, I'll read the lyrics so I can sing along.

No "rock the catbox" for me. Extra points for anyone who understands that reference.
That is priceless! That's the first time I ever heard that version. Thanks for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,876,691 times
You would find that you would appreciate more of the music today if they actually played it on the radio and you could hear it. Unfortunately, they don't play good artists on today's radio stations, they play crap adolescent music, hip-hop, and slicked-up/corn pone country (actually, I cringe to even use the word "country", because a lot of it does not even deserve that label).

Like you, I treasure the music that was the backdrop to the memories of my youth (classic rock, etc.), however, I can go to my grave and never hear Don't Stop Believin', More Than a Feeling, and a lot of other vastly over-played classics, again, and I'd be be OK with it. Cripes, that stuff was 3 - 4 decades ago, it's finally starting to sound stale to me.

When my daughter got married not too long ago, I was stunned to find that I really liked so many of the songs on her play lists for both the ceremony and reception, NEWER music by artists I had never heard of before/ But, you really have to seek it out. YouTube is your friend in this case.

Some suggestions: The Piano Guys, Tedeschi Trucks Band, just a few to get you started. I don't know why they don't play good, newer music on the radio anymore. Must not be enough $ in it or something, they have to cater to the masses like the junk TV shows that prevail today.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:08 PM

12,687 posts, read 14,071,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Sometimes I feel like I'm frozen in time in so far as my tastes are concerned. My musical (and movie) tastes are *exactly* the same as they were when I was a teenager....What about you? has age changed your likes? Did you leave your youthful tastes behind? Add to it?
Added to it, I guess.

Just as I was got to the point of the music madness phase in Jr. high/early h.s. in the early Fifties, one of the radio stations in my area began a format of aiming Rhythm n Blues, which had formerly been a music for black listeners, at the white adolescent audience. I loved it!!! and the Lucky Strike Hit Parade stuff went out the window fast. By the Sixities I moved on to what was dubbed Soul Music, Motown, funk, etc. My interest interest in mainstream rock music was always a distant second. I did listen to the famous Alison Steele's program, the Nightbird, fairly often in the early 70's, but after that it was almost always to stations that featured music by black performers, like WBLS in NYC.

By the Eighties I was into Brazilian pop music, and more and more what was called "World Music." When I moved to Portugal I developed a taste for various Afro-Luso music (especially Cabo Verde) and later in Cyprus I bought Greek pop singers, George Dalaras, Ana Vissi, etc. And then more North African and Arab pop.

At age 78, my music collection on CD's and playlists is probably close to 50/50, with non-American music holding a bit of an edge. I still keep hunting for new music...mostly from places other than the U.S. IMO, American black music has finally exhausted its creative juices in monotonous rap and hip-hop regurgitations; and another problem is that hi-tech tweaking can make anyone desperately in need of an adnoidectomy into a celebrity whiner of post-adolescent love dirges, the pleasure equivalent of aural root canals.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM

718 posts, read 603,354 times
Wow, some folks sure are PASSIONATE about what they think constitutes good music.

Different strokes for different folks and so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:12 AM

649 posts, read 554,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Yep.I like the stuff you've talked about along with a lot of music of today. If I really like it, I'll read the lyrics so I can sing along.

No "rock the catbox" for me. Extra points for anyone who understands that reference.
WHAT! You don't like The Clash? I am shocked I tell you.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:15 AM

718 posts, read 603,354 times
AND extra points go to: Movinon and MG120

Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times
People will always be emotionally attached to the music of their teenage years. It's when we went through all of our big emotional crisis & changes & that was our soundtrack so somehow our pop music is so much better than whatever is current because our neural pathways were formed with it.

Yes, I have a tremendous feeling for "Louie Louie" & "Wooly Bully" & consider them as cultural high water marks. I heard "Wild Thing" in the supermarket the other day & had to hum along. I know my folks & grandparents considered those as I consider most rap artists today...

But I have never listened to Classic Rock or Oldies radio, instead I try to find good stuff, new or old, that I never heard before & so I am always pleased even when, say "Stairway to Heaven" comes on in some public place, because I have never really listened to the stations that play that kind of music for 40 years now, so it is a nice unexpected visit with an old friend.

I am old enough now that I am starting to replay some of my 60s faves: Beatles & Stones have held up, Kinks too. Dylan & The Band have never left my playlist & Dylan is still putting out a good CD every few years. I like many of the current Americana bands as well as Beck.

In the last 10 years I have been trying to see as many of my old favorites as possible because the clock is ticking, as this year has already cruelly shown. One of my all time favorites passed last week - Dan Hicks, but I was lucky to catch him a couple of years ago as well as "back in the day". Did you know as well as The Hot Licks he was previously a member of the original San Francisco band that presaged the whole Haight music scene - The Charlatans?

https://youtu.be/hBGeQ0zSifc

Last edited by Hefe; 02-16-2016 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 04:17 AM

295 posts, read 149,075 times
Default Amrcn pi

Crusinsusan,

I have your song on my license plates. People under forty think it is about the Jason Biggs film. But older folks (and younger people who appreciate older music) know better.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 AM

3,415 posts, read 3,181,516 times
Still listen to the tunes I grew up on and yeah, Kodachrome is on my phone, lol. There are some current musicians I listen to as well but they are of the same musicical genre as my old tyme favorites. I don't think it's unusual. Oldies are for....... And I notice when I'm in businesses (barber, restaurant, car dealer) I rarely hear current day pop music, rap, etc playing. It's almost always music from the 70s and 80s.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 AM

87 posts, read 53,315 times
Great thread! I like lots of music from 60s thru 2000 but know less about the last 20 yrs - I guess because I got older and the kids left so less intros to their music.
Have more time and $$ in retirement so I have been lucky to catch up with more live shows such as Billy Joel, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac. Great concerts even if everyone has grey hair (or none!).

One thing we have going for us now is technology. Youtube to find tracks, MP3 players to store whole collections which we can take walking/driving, etc. And much better sound, I am hearing bits in music I never noticed before. I cant understand people wanting to go back to vinyl, my memory of scrathy records, variable turntables and fishing knot tape cassettes is too strong. A digital player and good headphones gives sound quality I could only dream of in the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or