U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,315,479 times

Advertisements

I love almost all types of music, not stuck in one time--though I do love to dance to old Beatles, and Beachboys while cleaning the kitchen or doing the laundry. Playing with the dog to "Live Ireland". Reading while listening to harpsichord. Instrumental flute while watching birds-- We live in Asheville-home of, and venue for, many up and coming talents, such as Brie Capone. We enjoy the variety of live music available to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,139,284 times
I remember this blasting from the swimming pool speaker, "Chantilly Lace, and a pretty face, and a pony tail, hanging down, a wiggle in her walk and a giggle in her talk, make the world go round" Happy!

Today is my 70th birthday.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:04 AM

718 posts, read 604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I remember this blasting from the swimming pool speaker, "Chantilly Lace, and a pretty face, and a pony tail, hanging down, a wiggle in her walk and a giggle in her talk, make the world go round" Happy!

Today is my 70th birthday.

Happy Birthday! You just squeeked in to the coolest astrological sign

Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 AM

238 posts, read 154,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post

What about you? has age changed your likes? Did you leave your youthful tastes behind? Add to it?
My musical palate is wide. My family was like the Von Trapps. We sang at home, church, in the car, in school, with friends...in the shower. Parents and sisters (3) alike we all were involved with it. I studied piano, percussion and voice, sisters studied: flute, french horn, alto horn, piano, clarinet. We loved musicals and any record my parents had. We memorized all the lyrics to the "Sing Along With Mitch" albums. I enjoyed almost all the songs of the 60's as does my husband. We listen to 60's on 6 XM, R&B, Sinatra, Soul Music and sing along all the time. In addition, I love classical music and jazz. So, yes, I like my "youthful" music but my tastes have grown and grown. I'm not a musical snob and can sing pop songs like the rest of them, but I can also sing Ralph Vaughn Williams, G.F. Handel, and everything in between. I taught music appreciation for 31+ years so I'd better like a musical buffet of music!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:20 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,774,732 times
I still adore the music I grew up with in the 50s, 60s and 70s. As well as 80s. Love those travels down memory lane.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,192,298 times
Here comes the sun - I went to college in northern Wisconsin, walking back to the dorm on the first warm day after a long winter someone was blasting this from their dorm room. Still makes me smile.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,701,447 times
Smile I remember the first time I really loved a song.....

I was babysitting around 12 or so - maybe 11 - and this song comes on the radio from Chicago (I was in Florida) and it was called Kind of a Drag by the Buckinghams. I got chills. I still get chills when I hear it.

It was the first song I ever really loved and I loved the group too. Being from Chicago also made it very cool too.

Just a middle school memory.

But later on, I was totally into music. I would drive my car down A 1 A with the 8 track in and thought it was so cool. I saw many groups through the years, went to wonderful concerts, was in the 4th row (kind of a surprise) to see Bruce Springsteen in 2000. I think I totally embarrassed my husband b/c I got so into the concert but I love music.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:29 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,512,142 times
Always loved music. Standards, big band, jazz, R and B, Motown, classical, 50s, 60s,70s, 80s, classic country, rock, folk. You name it. Music was all around growing up. It was a way of life. I knew every artist, every lyric, every guitar lick, bass run, all of it. I played guitar for 20 years and clarinet for same.
Now I could care less, and I feel sad for it. Everyone walks around with earplugs jammed in their head. There's no joy, fun, romance, celebration. I do like Pandora. I still play CDs and listen to FM radio. Our selection of stations around here is limited to top 40, country, classical, and heavy metal. Eh.
I've no interest in an iPod. Had one and hated it. Most times I listened to music I was in the car. Never was one to just sit and listen to music to pass time.
I did get reinvigorated watching American Idol and I like to watch the Grammys each year and the country music awards.
But I could not name many current artists and could not repeat any of the lyrics as most of the time I cannot understand a word they are saying.
I would like to care again about music like I did. Maybe pick up a guitar again. We'll see.
I miss the days of personality djs and learning about new music on the radio. Now it's all canned.
I guess I live in the past with a lot of my tastes and preferences. Give me The Boss talkin' about being ''born to run'' or taking that ''Magic Carpet Ride'' while cruisin' in the car. Music played OUT LOUD, not screechin' between my ears on some digital wired thingie.
Yeah, I'm getting old I guess, but these young whippersnappers don't have a clue as to what's good. No way! Damn! At least I've got the memories, the lyrics, the drum beats, the bass runs, the images in my mind for eternity.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 06-20-2017 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-20-2017, 11:15 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,848 times
40 years ago I would be turning 18 listening to The Ramones and The Clash and ironically that's what I was listening to in the car on my way to work earlier. However there are a lot of groups today that remind me of those punk and alternative and new wave bands so I have plenty of new music like The Killers and Foster the People, Artic Monkeys on my playlist. Love how easy it is to download new tunes these days.

Also like someone else mentioned above. I play or played the guitar. Still have 4 at home. Arthritis makes it really tough to get back in to it but I'm trying.

The Ramones song that gets me and is perfect for this board: I Don't Wanna Grow Up

Old 06-21-2017, 03:48 AM

980 posts, read 607,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post

What about you? has age changed your likes? Did you leave your youthful tastes behind? Add to it?
The first concert I went to was Sly and The Family Stone and to this day listening to especially this time of year Hot Fun in the Summertime puts a smile on my face and brings back so many good memories of my teen years and the great friends I spend those years with. Still very much love the music of my youth!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or