Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago, we made an overnight trip to see "The Buddy Holly Story," and last Friday we drove two hours, for another overnight, to see The Duprees. ("Have You Heard" and "You Belong to Me," among other hits.)

So yeah, I guess our tastes are rooted in nostalgia at this point. I went to a Johnny Mathis concert back in 2005 and spent most of the time with tears streaming down my face. Definitely takes you back to a different time and place.

I don't think we're alone in that, though. Every generation seems to develop their musical tastes in their teens and 20s, and that's the music we love. I barely listened to music at all in my 30s and beyond. I'm amazed when 20- and 30-year-olds are familiar with earlier rock and roll (beyond the Beatles and Stones). I certainly don't know their music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I, too, lack the patience to sift through the garbage to find one or two good songs. My son or nephew will turn me onto a good song now and then.

I like songs from the thirties into this century. I haven't found much this decade. Slim pickings.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:48 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I cant remember f I cried when I read about his widowed bride, but something touched me deep inside,,,the day the music died

this is one of my all time favs..

the 60's and 70's was the best music ever,,,from the beatles, to the doors to pink Floyd, to the eagles and Fleetwood mac,

the early 80's was when music started to go over a cliff,,, and worse in the 90's and of course I cannot listen to rap/hip hop

the bands were real in the 60's and 70's ....not all synthesizers

classic rock is the best music (just like that old time rocknroll, the kind of music that soothes the soul, I reminisce about the days of ole, with that old time rocknroll)

American Pie somehow means a lot to me too,,,not just the haunting lyrics,,,but the melody is incredible

don mclean lives in maine,,,I was in his hometown quite a few years ago and I could swear I recognized him at a small specialty food store...so what do I do??? I didn't want to be an annoying fan,,,go up and say hi and all ,,,,so I just start singing lyrics to American pie softly ...
well this sparks another person to do the same,,,
so im thinking the whole store is going to break out in song...as a tribute to don mclean..
and this same guy who im thinking is d/m/ just walks out the door...left his basket in the store.

I told this story to a few friends and they said.... no wonder he booked it out the door,,, everyone in the world probly does the same thing,,if they recognize him

Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I, too, lack the patience to sift through the garbage to find one or two good songs. My son or nephew will turn me onto a good song now and then.

I like songs from the thirties into this century. I haven't found much this decade. Slim pickings.
my son showed me how to download music from youtube..
save it to my computer and then save it to a cd disk...
I listen to that in the car ..

youtube is great I can view/listen to any song from my childhood... I don't go as far back as the 30's but from the 60's youtube seems to have a ton of music/songs

Old 02-09-2016, 04:10 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
Jeremiah was a bull frog was cool!
I saw Three Dog Night at a 4th of July show on the Memphis riverfront in the Mid 90's and they were AMAZINGLY fantastic. Something I'll never forget was the lovely black couple (I'm white, btw) sitting next to us singing every word to every song. Just not what one expects in Memphis. It was awesome. The band sounded great and it was mostly original members.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,845 times
Don Mclean played at our high school/middle school not far from where was living, back in '71 before anyone knew who he was. We though he was a depressing kind of acoustic musician, sort of Bob Dylanish at the times, with lyrics that made little sense to young teens. We were more 3Dog Night and the Who kind of rockers back then. When the song got popular the next year or so, we remembered it and we always talked about how different it sounded on the radio vs the impressions we got from him live.

I appreciate current balladeers like Adele, Sam Smith etc, but 95% of the time I'm listening to classic R&R. But then I also repair and restore vintage turntables, cassette decks etc as a hobby, and have a huge record and casette collection of old music. I use iHeart radio in the car, and often choose "feel good" '60s and '70s music from Tommy James and the Shondells, Tommy Roe, Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, the Vogues, and Grassroots etc. real belt it out in the car kind of music.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:15 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
My music roots are in the 70s, because those were my formative years, but there is room for other decades as well. I'd love to see Bruno Mars in concert; he seems to have a lot of energy and "Uptown Funk" is still one of my favorite songs. Many of today's songs, though, seem to have catchy hooks but I get tired of them after only two or three times. It's like there's no substance. However, then I think back to the 70s, and "Disco Duck" comes to mind.

"American Pie" is a classic. I can't listen to it on our "oldies" station, though, because they play the shortened version. No, give me the entire 8:40! I never fail to sing along when I hear it.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:03 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I read an article about how your music tastes solidify during your late teens.

So it makes perfect sense.
That seems to be true for me. I like lots of other music, but nothing moves me like the early to mid 70s stuff. Lynyrd Skynyrd (I saw them perform songs from Street Survivor in Athens, GA shortly before the plane crash. At the time, I wanted them to move on to their earlier hits; now it gives me chills to remember Van Zant singing "That Smell".), Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bad Company and other rockers were my favorites.

It's funny how we try to reject other music later. I, and most of my friends, all claimed to despise disco but would break a sweat trying to keep from stomping a foot when the Bee Gees came over the speakers (and when The Kinks came out with Superman, that was different somehow ).

Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Don Mclean played at our high school/middle school not far from where was living, back in '71 before anyone knew who he was. We though he was a depressing kind of acoustic musician, sort of Bob Dylanish at the times, with lyrics that made little sense to young teens. We were more 3Dog Night and the Who kind of rockers back then. When the song got popular the next year or so, we remembered it and we always talked about how different it sounded on the radio vs the impressions we got from him live.

I appreciate current balladeers like Adele, Sam Smith etc, but 95% of the time I'm listening to classic R&R. But then I also repair and restore vintage turntables, cassette decks etc as a hobby, and have a huge record and casette collection of old music. I use iHeart radio in the car, and often choose "feel good" '60s and '70s music from Tommy James and the Shondells, Tommy Roe, Gary Pucket and the Union Gap, the Vogues, and Grassroots etc. real belt it out in the car kind of music.
Yeah, I can see that lyrics like this would go way over the heads of a bunch of teenagers, but it can still make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBsC8uQ-tgs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement