U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:40 PM

662 posts, read 476,887 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I feel like I'm frozen in time in so far as my tastes are concerned. My musical (and movie) tastes are *exactly* the same as they were when I was a teenager. (I kept hidden then, my love of Sinatra, Nat King Cole and Classical....as well as Gregory Peck, Katharine Hepburn, and yes, damn it, Donny Osmond...lol)

But this song is like no other for me. God help the person in the car next to me waiting at the light as I crank up the radio and sing and the tears come down. Or "Gimmie the Beat Boys", "Kodachrome", etc. (I sing to those, not cry )

I don't feel like there's anything wrong with not liking what has come after my young years (actually, my musical likes pre-date my actual teen years), so "frozen" isn't a derogative (after all, ice cream is frozen! )

What about you? has age changed your likes? Did you leave your youthful tastes behind? Add to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 01:53 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,123,924 times
I'm the opposite. I can't stand 70's music. I consider the 70's to be the Dark Ages of music and the 80's to be the Renaissance. I listen to today's music, but I have no problem if a station plays 80's up to today. On SiriusXM, I listen to The Pulse, channel 15. If I don't have sat radio, I listen to iHeart stations.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 02-08-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 01:57 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,237,575 times
I believe my tastes are pretty much the same as they were when I was young. Still like Presley. Still like movies that have real stories, fun musicals, good drama. Great comedy. No smut. Music from the 50s and 60s as well as big band. Some classical. Even some opera (my father played it sometimes).

And I miss my family, tho there were rough times to get through. I miss those good times that stick in my head, the swimming hole, the games us kids played when we were young.

Gee, OP, you have opened a door of memories. Thanks!!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:06 PM

662 posts, read 476,887 times
^^NYgal...now you did it back to me...ya got me thinking of that heart-pounding game of red-light-green-light-one-two-three with your talk of the swimming hole (we didn't have a swimming hole...just yards)

Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
^^NYgal...now you did it back to me...ya got me thinking of that heart-pounding game of red-light-green-light-one-two-three with your talk of the swimming hole (we didn't have a swimming hole...just yards)

I'm so glad I grew up during that era. I'm glad I didn't have my nose in a computer or smart phone. I got to know my friends. Sleep overs. Stay over for supper. Go fire fly hunting.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM

2,533 posts, read 1,823,367 times
I just keep adding stuff. iTunes is taking over my Mac!! I still listen to 50's and 60's esp boogie woogie and R&B a lot of 70's (Led Zep esp) but recently I have been listening to a new (to me) Country singer named Sturgill Simpson who is really good. And of course, Adele, Bruno Mars and Ricky Martin etc

Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,267,178 times
I think I added to mine. I was a teenager in the 80's (like, totally, fer shure!) and I still have sentimental attachments to music from that era, even some of it hasn't stood the test of time.

I think given that I had a large, close-knit family exposed me to a lot of music that was before my time and 'after', so to speak (my oldest cousin was born in 1959, the youngest grandchild on that side of the family was born in 1978.) My mom was a big Beatles fan back in the day (and the Beatles have held up pretty well over the years). Her older sister (by about eight years) was a Presley fan back in the day. Her older brother (by about eleven years) was at the tail end of the swing era/early stages of the rock and roll era. My older cousins were into the music of the 70's, my younger cousins into the music of the 90's.

To add to that, I got involved in Renaissance Faires and belly dancing, which opened all new avenues of music to me.

I think it could be said from any era there are songs that hold up, some that are best forgotten, and some that were so unique that you still can't quite categorize them.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,529,269 times
Yes I do drift back with pleasant feelings. To music of my younger self. 60 s and 70s

Like to put the folk pop of the 80s such as Dan fogelberg john Denver on Pandora, crank it up, and clean house wash Windows etc. but the high school early college music is to mellow to

Old 02-08-2016, 02:40 PM

266 posts, read 209,337 times
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" - George Jones in April 1980. A beautiful tear jerker.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
"He Stopped Loving Her Today" - George Jones in April 1980. A beautiful tear jerker.

Did you see the tribute show they did for George when died? Vince Gill and Patti Loveless sang a song....not a dry eye in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or