U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2016, 02:37 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,728 posts, read 3,137,954 times
Reputation: 2950

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Another thread got me thinking....... Is your retirement the way you thought it would be?

Are you doing the things you talked about and how has it affected your marriage?

Is it better than you though? Are you bored? Are you getting on each other's nerves? Is it better than you thought?

Are you healthier, or are you letting yourself go?
I am in my 7th year of retirement, and it is SO much better than I ever imagined! No, I am not doing the things I thought I would be doing. My life is much simple and less stressful than I had envisioned.

I am not married, but my sweetie and I retired at about the same time and our relationship has become much closer than it was. I am never bored. We do not live together so we have plenty of time alone, and do not get on each other's nerves. We only get together when we want to, which has been every day so far but not for all day long. We are enjoying growing old together and facing new challenges in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2016, 09:31 PM
 
34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29841
Coming up on 10 years of retirement,a few points to ponder.
I thought after retirement i'd get a part time grounds maintenance job on a golf course, sent out a dozen job applications and not a single call back,same result for stock person at all the big box stores and grocery stores so unless you have an in of some sort no one wants to hire 60 year olds.
One thing i never considered when i retired was that my wife still had 15 years to go before she retires so my weekdays are pretty boring as she goes to work and takes the car and i'm left with the tv.
Also those dreams you had in retirement can actually cost more than you had planned or can afford.
Then theres the possibility of failing health issues that prevent you from fulfilling your retirement dreams.
I'm envious of those that retire early and find retirement a joy, i find it kinda boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Reputation: 15545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Coming up on 10 years of retirement,a few points to ponder.
I thought after retirement i'd get a part time grounds maintenance job on a golf course, sent out a dozen job applications and not a single call back,same result for stock person at all the big box stores and grocery stores so unless you have an in of some sort no one wants to hire 60 year olds.
One thing i never considered when i retired was that my wife still had 15 years to go before she retires so my weekdays are pretty boring as she goes to work and takes the car and i'm left with the tv.
Also those dreams you had in retirement can actually cost more than you had planned or can afford.
Then theres the possibility of failing health issues that prevent you from fulfilling your retirement dreams.
I'm envious of those that retire early and find retirement a joy, i find it kinda boring.

I can think of a lot of ways to describe retirement, but boring isn't one of them. If you only have one vehicle, it appears you didn't prepare financially for your retirement. But even with one car, can't you take your wife to work and pick her up? There are plenty of ways to deal with your retirement but you don't seem to be motivated enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 PM
 
34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Reputation: 29841
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I can think of a lot of ways to describe retirement, but boring isn't one of them. If you only have one vehicle, it appears you didn't prepare financially for your retirement. But even with one car, can't you take your wife to work and pick her up? There are plenty of ways to deal with your retirement but you don't seem to be motivated enough.
She works in several schools throughout the day so driving her isnt possible, also buying another car isnt in our budget if we want to stay debt free. We do stuff together on the weekends and take annual vacations and we usually go away for long weekends.its just weekdays there isnt much to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Reputation: 19387
I'd get a motorcycle or a little cheap crappy car. It's no fun being trapped at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Reputation: 32304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'd get a motorcycle or a little cheap crappy car. It's no fun being trapped at home.
You are so right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,879 posts, read 25,306,858 times
Reputation: 26334
Retirement is a blast. I highly recommend it!

It's nothing like I thought it would be. Totally different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Reputation: 32304
One of the greatest things about retirement is the flexibility it gives us to go in a different direction. Several posters, such as Yellowsnow just above, have written about this. Retirement can veer away from our plans and our expectations without being the worse for it. We can sort of create our own retirement as we go. It's hard to predict where we'll be and what we'll be doing a few years from now. Some people have followed their plans exactly - and that is great too. Others have encountered unexpected roadblocks (mostly related to health) and that is not so good, but we all do our best given our particular circumstances. Eleven years ago when I retired I would not have been able to predict how things would be for me right now, but I am quite pleased how they worked out. Back then, my plans were not very specific - some traveling for sure, continue with the moonlighting jobs for a while (how long? I didn't know.) I had no clue I would be recruited for volunteer reading aloud by the school district, and even when I began doing that, I had no clue how much I would enjoy it. (I agreed to try it, telling myself, "Well, this is an experiment and the school year ends in two more months, so if I don't like it I won't have to continue beyond that".) Sometimes we never know. I feel very lucky.

Last edited by Escort Rider; 02-19-2016 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Reputation: 32304
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Retirement is a blast. I highly recommend it!

It's nothing like I thought it would be. Totally different!
I would be interested to know a few specifics about what you thought it would be and the ways it turned out to be different, if you care to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2016, 01:00 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,374,443 times
Reputation: 18706
I retired at 60 a little over a year ago mainly to take care of my precious baby sister who had Stage 4 cancer. She had lost her husband (who at age 57, a pilot and thrill seeker) fell over dead of a massive heart attack while out buying a new motorcycle.

The 1st 8 months of my retirement were not FUN (or easy) being the primary caregiver for her, but I was so GRATEFUL to be able to be there for her as needed.

Since she passed in June, we have been able to travel again (our passion for sure!) and so much fun.

I am GRATEFUL for my retirement time, because it has been spent on things that are so important to me. Can't wait for DH to retire (again, retired AF 2001) so we can spend ALL our time doing what WE want to without a schedule to conform to!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top