U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 AM

6,555 posts, read 7,981,951 times

Advertisements

My assumption is that the more incoming information, the more older, unneeded or unrepeated information is lost. No biggie. We are all wired differently anyway. I've always been better at concepts than rote memorization for example. The way you remember things is biochemical, so it is a miracle that old info from 50 yrs ago sticks with us at all. People with dementia seem to lack the ability to remember new things but often remember old info because it is no longer overwhelmed by new inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 06:50 AM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
I don't worry about it. I talk to people all the time who are younger than me that can't rememeber things that I can remember. No biggie. I couldn't remember Farrah Fawcetts name the other day. Its OK, my son remembered. Tons of things, I can't remember. That's why I keep books and records and pictures. As my former professor used to say, "the mind is a sieve." ie We forget a lot.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:02 AM

6,314 posts, read 3,578,007 times
The more relaxed I am the easier it is to remember things. So if I think of something I want to know and can't remember I ask DH. If he can't remember the race is on! We know one of us will think of it eventually.

I find it comes back to me better if I just file it and put it out of my conscious thought. Then just before falling asleep or upon waking up it often pops into my mind. Trying too hard only seems to make it more difficult for me.

I have a funny little picture of a librarian in my head. Some people have "computers" to retrieve information but my brain is still on the Dewy Decimal System. So I have this one harried and hassled, old librarian running around up there searching through all the drawers. And because there are nearly seven decades of drawers it's going to take him a little while to find the right one!

My high school class is just planning its fiftieth reunion and it's funny how many of us it takes to retrieve the information about former classmates. One of us remembers a first name, another, the last. Maybe another remembers the name of where they moved to. Little by little we are getting the list together.

Off topic: Part of the problem is our old patriarchal system of taking a husband's last name. Never thought about it as a young bride but in the more mobile world we now occupy it's a distinct disadvantage to finding a woman if she does this and you don't know who she married.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 AM

2,930 posts, read 3,052,234 times
Here's what I do when I lose my thought

Old 02-10-2016, 08:06 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
I don't fret about it much any more. When I was younger and when I got old I blamed it on age.

I forgot.

What are we talking about?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:33 AM

2,111 posts, read 2,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I don't spend much time trying to remember what I came into a room for or any name or where I put my reading glasses. All of these "senior moments" just remind me that I am in my seventies not thirties

Going through the alphabet helps me remember names that just keep bugging me and retracing my steps usually helps find lost items and once I leave a room I mostly remember why I went there for.
Used to walk into rooms in my 30s and forget why I went there. I too do the alphabet trick. If it doesn't come to me then, it generally pops into my head the next day. Just takes a little longer on the retrieval. I joke with my husband, my brain has to go fetch if from off-line storage.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 AM

7,256 posts, read 4,143,320 times
Well, the way I deal with is I...wait a sec...it'll come to me in a minute...what was I talking about?...ah, never mind....

Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 AM

14,398 posts, read 7,926,626 times
I have some memory lapses but it's because I've been so distracted by retiring early. It was a very stressful decision and required a complete about face from my workaholic life style. It left me kind of lost and in a fog for the first few weeks.

It's also fun keeping John on his toes and teasing him about having to change my diaper in the near future

Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM

5,029 posts, read 3,217,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was just reading an autobiography, he was talking about his grade school days, the rainy days when you couldn't go outside for recess, and I got to thinking of my grade school days in Minnesota, those long winters, snowy days, rainy days, and I got stumped thinking of what we did on those days in grade school? Blank!

With Facebook, I've tried to remember names of childhood friends I grew up with, thinking, hoping I might find them on Facebook, but the names? First name ain't gonna do me no good! Last name?

I dated someone in high school, occasionally, I know her first name, but can't quite spell out the last name, and she may have married, died, so gone with the wind!

I don't get upset by these memory blanks as they're not crucial to my survival, and haven't I got better things to do then remember something that's, essentially, inconsequential?

I figure if it was really important to remember, I'd remember it, no?

How about you? Do you find yourself spending an inordinate time, at times, trying to remember things that aren't all that important to remember? Or are there times it sends you into a panic? Like, I think I'm losing my memory!

Nope, when I hit a mental blank, I:

#1 Think I may have been drinking too much
#2 Using too many little white pills
#3 Not using enough of the both above....

Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM

34,689 posts, read 33,695,295 times
The most upset I got was when I couldn't remember the name of Axl Rose's band (Guns N' Roses) for a trivia question. I could have looked at my ITunes playlist to jog my memory but nooooooo, it was going to come to me if I had to stay up all day thinking about it.

By the way, if you want to know how much trivia you've forgotten, there is a website:

Quizzes at Fun Trivia -- 130,000 Quizzes About Everything!

You can do the quizzes timed or untimed and you pick your category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or